Approach/Landing Procedures

BjornMa

Hi everybody!

I was wondering, how do you guys fly your approach? Do you follow the STARs all the time (Every approach)? When do you lower the gear and flaps?
I'm still trying to figure out a "standard", as my approach procedures are a bit random from time to time. Usually I lower the flaps to 15 and gear out at approximately 2500 ft above the field (Or at the radio altimeter call out). After that I just slowly slow down to a speed I feel flaps 30(40) should be lowered, then slow to landing speed. But the same goes to flaps 1 and 5. When do you lower them? Towards the Final Approach Fix / Downwind & Base?

I'm still learning and hope to get some good replies. :D

28 minutes ago, BjornMa said:

Hi everybody!

I was wondering, how do you guys fly your approach? Do you follow the STARs all the time (Every approach)? When do you lower the gear and flaps?
I'm still trying to figure out a "standard", as my approach procedures are a bit random from time to time. Usually I lower the flaps to 15 and gear out at approximately 2500 ft above the field (Or at the radio altimeter call out). After that I just slowly slow down to a speed I feel flaps 30(40) should be lowered, then slow to landing speed. But the same goes to flaps 1 and 5. When do you lower them? Towards the Final Approach Fix / Downwind & Base?

I'm still learning and hope to get some good replies. :D

Hi Bjørn

There is a lot of great traning videos here you can take a look at. 

Procedure letters should be respected for safe flight, especially if you fly in an area without airspace control.
Notwithstanding this, it is necessary to have an adequate knowledge of the approach and landing procedures, in order to be able to govern the airplane.
To do this you must study and practice what is explained in "737-300 Flight Crew Training Manual.pdf" in general, and particularly chapters 5 and 6.