How to properly use LNAV

Augusto

Hello I've recently purchased the Saab 340 and this is my first aircraft which has its LNAV and VNAV based of the Garmin GPS, So you can tell I already ran into some problems. After loading in my route and activating the first leg I take off and at about 500 feet i activate the button labeled NAV and Climb, after which the plane procedues to spiral into the ground. Another thing I've noticed is that the FD indicator is always pointing away form the course I've set on the GPS. any bit of help is appreciated.

as far as specs go this is what i run:

XP: 10.51 (latest release)

Saab 340 1.3

Win 10: GTX 1060, 16gb ram, Intel core i7

as said above this aircraft has no LNAV neither VNAV.

-For vertical profile you always use:

VS mode (vertical speed), this will set the aircraft pitch fixed to a desired target VS for climbing or descending. Aircraft speeding varies based on thrust setting and altitude.

IAS mode (airspeed), this will set the aircraft speeding fixed, and the aircraft pitch will vary to maintain speeding based on thrust set and altitude (climb in this mode please not to stall the aircraft)

-For lateral navigation you use NAV mode (unless you wanna fly in HDG mode)

You can use old school VOR navigation

You may use the GPS for creating a flight plan and follow the magenta. To switch the NAV source (VOR vs GPS) press CDI button on the GPS.

Hope this helps! reading the manual will also help to better familiarize yourself on the aircraft systems and capabilities.

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mmerelles said:

as said above this aircraft has no LNAV neither VNAV.

-For vertical profile you always use:

VS mode (vertical speed), this will set the aircraft pitch fixed to a desired target VS for climbing or descending. Aircraft speeding varies based on thrust setting and altitude.

IAS mode (airspeed), this will set the aircraft speeding fixed, and the aircraft pitch will vary to maintain speeding based on thrust set and altitude (climb in this mode please not to stall the aircraft)

-For lateral navigation you use NAV mode (unless you wanna fly in HDG mode)

You can use old school VOR navigation

You may use the GPS for creating a flight plan and follow the magenta. To switch the NAV source (VOR vs GPS) press CDI button on the GPS.

Hope this helps! reading the manual will also help to better familiarize yourself on the aircraft systems and capabilities.

2 hours ago, Goran_M said:

There is no LNAV or VNAV in the Saab.  You have HDG, NAV and CLIMB modes.  

For a bit of familiarization, I recommend you try the tutorial flight that is included.  It'll get you accustomed to how the aircraft flies.

Thanks for the speedy response, all I needed was the tutorial flight to sort out some problems

-my regards and best of luck AV