X-Plane 11 Without SkyMaxx

777-300

In XP11 my frames rates with SkyMaxx are about the same as with XP10. What I have noticed though is a dramatic increase in video memory  available which I really like.  Even with the clearest skies in XP 10 I rarely saw video memory available for more then 900MB.  Can't wait for SkyMaxx V4.These are the settings I am currently use for Sky Maxx.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
500GB  of Flash Storage

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 5.58.24 PM.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well....I just received the e-mail that it will be available in a few hours.

While I've been a flightsimmer for over 30 years now  (I still have my original FS-3 on 5 1/4 floppies....(smile))  I just purchased the X-Plane 11 Beta just over a week ago.  Last Saturday...(7 days ago)  I purchased SMP v 3.3.2.  for the $39.95.  I had no idea there was a version 4 coming out within days....or I would have waited.

Contacted the developer this morning and inquired.........WOO HOO....He'll knock 50% off the $39.95 for version 4.  (Hmmm......)  That just doesn't seem right. Okay, okay....before I get blasted with the "The developers can't just give there stuff away etc., etc., etc."  I do get it.....I DO understand somewhat.

However, I was at least hoping that you get 3 downloads with the purchase.....I've used one........since I have 2 left and I did just spend the $39.95 within the last 7 days, they could at least throw me a bone and give me 1 download or something.   At least something more than we'll give you a discount as though I've been using this for months.

I guess it's kind of like me walking past a store and seeing something in the window I'd like.  I go in and purchase it....and on the way out I see a sales clerk putting a new and improved version in the window.........somehow it just leaves a bitter taste.

Well.....Nothing the developer is doing is illegal or wrong.......I just don't think it's very fair, but then again Life isn't fair all the time.

For me...........I'm going to pass.....I've already thrown $40 bucks at this guy...... X-Plane looks like it's turning into an OUTSTANDING program.....my bet REX or some of the other developers will be moving over to this platform someday....I'll wait.

It is just a game......and 11's clouds don't look that bad to me.  There's other developers I'm sure could use my $40 bucks just as well.

Cheers!!

Edited by SgtMajor
  • Upvote 1

Right not to be short or dismissive but we've been advertising V4 for awhile, it's no secret......

You decided to buy V3 and now you expect something for nothing......But wait we offer a 50% discount to existing V3 customers....that's really crappy I know....terrible practices 

I wish we could of stopped you , somehow read your mind and intervened before you made YOUR decision....

We are truly sorry.... :(

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey John......I too wish you could have stopped me.  I'm brand new to X-Plane.....if you could look, you'd see I just joined just over a week ago...probably the day before I purchased V3....and several other products.  (Saab 340).....(PMDG's DC-6) (Real Weather to use with SMP).  I do spend a lot of money...(my choice).....on Flightsim and I think X-Plane has come a VERY long way since the first time I tried it out several years ago.(can't remember exactly when...but have been telling my pal's they really need to check this program out now....it may just be the future to our hobby)

I've also been doing this long enough where I HAVE seen developers offer folks who purchased a program within the last 90 days get a "Free??" upgrade. To the newest of products.  That usually never applies to me (smile)....when I find something I truly like I purchase immediately with each new version.

There are other developers out there that I receive e-mail's all the time with "new and improved" versions of products being put into my account...no charge  (MilViz .....is HUGE on supporting their products as well as A2A and many others)

So.....Being new to X-Plane and haven't been following the program OR products......I was just asking..........

I'm not berating you guys......I was just saying that I sure didn't see anything on the order page at the time (Which I probably missed.....my fault)......and I bet I'm in a very small percentage that has actually screwed this up........but as developers,.......it just appears that me or my business isn't worth $20 to you.  (39.95 - 20 discount......you'd make about 20 bucks)  I seriously doubt there are thousands of folks this would effect in the past month let alone the 7 days since my purchase.

I also FULLY understand you guys don't make a ton of money on products and believe me, having been involved in some big projects as a beta tester I TRULY understand there are a LOT of very long tedious hours that go into this.

So please......I'm NOT trying to get something for nothing......I just asked the question......I don't agree with your decision, however, that's your perogative......no harm no foul....I'm moving on....I think we all should.

I'm very sure me choosing NOT to purchase is not going to "break the bank"...(smile)....I wish you and SkyMaxx all the very best....looks amazing!!

God Bless!!!

Steve

Edited by SgtMajor
  • Upvote 1

Hey guys, an odd question, sorry I know, but is SKYMAXX PRO 4 only for X-PLANE 11? If not or yes here is a furthermore;

It is a great plugin ***** however i get this sudden weather changes during flights and it is horrid when I am recording the footage. I am on the latest version and my real main question is other than the last two; does this happen on Pro 4? I only fly below 10k VFR. 

Thank you all.

Kurtay

15 hours ago, flyingcom said:

Hey guys, an odd question, sorry I know, but is SKYMAXX PRO 4 only for X-PLANE 11? If not or yes here is a furthermore;

It is a great plugin ***** however i get this sudden weather changes during flights and it is horrid when I am recording the footage. I am on the latest version and my real main question is other than the last two; does this happen on Pro 4? I only fly below 10k VFR. 

SkyMaxx Pro 4 works with X-Plane 10 and X-Plane 11.

To eliminate "sudden weather changes," you'll also want to get the Real Weather Connector product. That will help with either SMP3 or SMP4.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:33 PM, SgtMajor said:

While I've been a flightsimmer for over 30 years now  (I still have my original FS-3 on 5 1/4 floppies....(smile))  I just purchased the X-Plane 11 Beta just over a week ago.  Last Saturday...(7 days ago)  I purchased SMP v 3.3.2.  for the $39.95.  I had no idea there was a version 4 coming out within days....or I would have waited.

Yeah, I feel your pain.  I'm in the exact same boat, purchased last weekend as well. :(

SkyMaxx Pro 4 works with X-Plane 10 and X-Plane 11.

To eliminate "sudden weather changes," you'll also want to get the Real Weather Connector product. That will help with either SMP3 or SMP4.

I forget to mention, I do have the realweatherconnector. Do you fly GA or airliners?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, davidndc said:

Yeah, I feel your pain.  I'm in the exact same boat, purchased last weekend as well. :(

As they say.....live and learn.  I actually am enjoying X-Plane stock weather.  I never did ask if v3 would work in V11.....however, I think as X-Plane continues to develop that eventually REX and others will join in too.  I've been a LONG Time user of REX and may upgrade eventually.  My problem.....with the amount of "add-on's" I purchase for FlightSim over the years I could probably own 2 or 3 third world countries. (smile) I was just looking last evening at my 1Tb storage drive where I ONLY keep my install files for FSX.  Let's just say I have just a little over 3GB left of the 1tb. (smile)  Hobby's......probably need to get something more productive. (smile)

Cheers!!

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SgtMajor said:

As they say.....live and learn.  I actually am enjoying X-Plane stock weather.  I never did ask if v3 would work in V11.....however, I think as X-Plane continues to develop that eventually REX and others will join in too.  I've been a LONG Time user of REX and may upgrade eventually.  My problem.....with the amount of "add-on's" I purchase for FlightSim over the years I could probably own 2 or 3 third world countries. (smile) I was just looking last evening at my 1Tb storage drive where I ONLY keep my install files for FSX.  Let's just say I have just a little over 3GB left of the 1tb. (smile)  Hobby's......probably need to get something more productive. (smile)

Cheers!!

Very true. Live and learn.

I tried x-plane a bit many versions ago but never really took to it. Spent more in FS2000 & FSX add-on's than I'm willing to admit to, finally gave up with all the OMM's and had no desire to try it all again with P3D. That said, I've been having a blast these past few weeks in Xplane 10 and now the 11 beta.  Virtual flying never felt so real for me. The DC3, 737-200 and 757 are all especially great! Really looking forward to what's to come, especially in terms of some competition in the add-on marketplace. 

Cheers!

Edited by davidndc
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, davidndc said:

I tried x-plane a bit many versions ago but never really took to it. Spent more in FS2000 & FSX add-on's than I'm willing to admit to, finally gave up with all the OMM's and had no desire to try it all again with P3D. That said, I've been having a blast these past few weeks in Xplane 10 and now the 11 beta.  Virtual flying never felt so real for me. The DC3, 737-200 and 757 are all especially great! Really looking forward to what's to come, especially in terms of some competition in the add-on marketplace. 

Cheers!

In 100% agreement....I tried X-Plane a VERY long time ago and shy'd away......I too have spent WAY to much on Flightsimming over the years, but heck....it's just money, right? (smile)  On a recommendation from several flight buddies...I installed the Beta version and 10 minutes later purchased it.  I too am having a lot of fun right now and I'm impressed. I don't fly too many airliners....I'm more of small props, turbo props and vintage stuff.  DC3...that would work for me.  I am a big fan of PMDG....so was pleased to finally pick up their DC-6.  Installed it last evening into XP-11 and it seems to work fairly well....a few issues but nothing earth shattering. I just started on a Pan Am repaint of the 6 (Clipper VIking)...but I need to study up on repaints for X-Plane as it doesn't use the same structure as FSX.....but I'll figure it out.  I've always been a Pan Am fan and had the pleasure of traveling Pan Am on several occasions.  ALWAYS the best....Really had a way of making you feel they appreciated you.  Sure do miss those Long Steak and Champagne flights!!

Cheers!!

• 1 month later...

Thank you all.

Kurtay

Now, a month away since updated to v4 unfortunately, weather changes still happens as reported above. I wonder if this is an issue with anyone else?

Thanks

Kurtay

22 minutes ago, flyingcom said:

Now, a month away since updated to v4 unfortunately, weather changes still happens as reported above. I wonder if this is an issue with anyone else?

Make sure "never change visible weather" is on in the RWC settings.

Can you be more specific about what you're seeing? The clouds shouldn't change if things are set up properly, apart from perhaps some small movement when you cross one degree tile boundaries. If you're talking about visibility or fog effects, SMP has nothing to do with that - we just draw clouds.

Make sure "never change visible weather" is on in the RWC settings.

Can you be more specific about what you're seeing? The clouds shouldn't change if things are set up properly, apart from perhaps some small movement when you cross one degree tile boundaries. If you're talking about visibility or fog effects, SMP has nothing to do with that - we just draw clouds.

I fly at NZQN, New Zealand - Queenstown Airport. Half way across the runway, the whole weather changes suddenly, from complete dark and cloudy to sunny part cloudy. Happens all the time. I will upload a small clip here later for you.

Thanks for your help.

Kurtay

If it's happening right after you've started your flight and doesn't happen again, that could just be the initial METAR data coming in from the Internet. If your flight starts while X-Plane still has stale weather data in place from your last flight, it will apply the new data once it comes in.

Please provide your log.txt file after it happens and it might tell us more.

• Upvote 1

Hi Frank

You may be right on this, here is an example of what happens (see the attached video), I looked at yesterday's recordings, it doesn't happen. Besides, it is not the clouds changing, it is the sunlight/fog etc. I thought RealWeatherConnector was to correct this. If internet related, I guess not much we can argue on. Although, I have high speed internet, but it could be the server issues.

Thanks

Kurtay

Sudden Weather Change.wmv