X-Plane GPU usage plummets when action is not confirmed

SRSR333

Hi guys,

I was making a flight from LFMN (Nice Cote d'Azur) to LOWI (Innsbruck), and I took off, relatively smoothly and attained cruise. When I wanted to change my mach number, I entered digits (.600) into the scratchpad, and the EXEC key was illuminated. Then I noticed X-Plane was stuttering like crazy. The framerate dipped to the single digits, then quickly climbed back to 40+, dipped again, climbed again, so and so.

When I went to check the GPU usage in GPU-Z, the usage also correspondingly dropped to zero percent. So what was a continuous red bar at 100% was now resembling a bar code, with red lines indicating wildly fluctuating usage.

I'm not sure if the GPU usage dropped because the FMC made X-Plane lag, or the FMC lagged because the GPU usage went down. Either way, it is quite clear that once I confirm my action (press the EXEC key), the usage returns to normal.

Is this a known issue to be fixed in V1.1?

go to your windows defender configuration and add a folder exception for the entire /x-plane/ folder (folder, not file exception there are both!).

this will fix your issue.

Thanks for that! However, genuine question: what does Windows Defender have to do with GPU usage and the FMC? How was the fix narrowed down to this?

6 hours ago, SRSR333 said:

Thanks for that! However, genuine question: what does Windows Defender have to do with GPU usage and the FMC? How was the fix narrowed down to this?

you are welcome :)

when you make a change inflight the fmc keeps recalculating, the aircraft is moving, until you exec.

it is not the GPU actually, is the CPU that goes hell due to windows defender kicking in to analyze the scripts and becomes the bottleneck. GPU usage goes down, nothing to do on a freezed simulator

• Upvote 1