3D Shots and Renders - showoff what you have been working on.

Kieran

Well, not quite.. :) Unreal Engine use PBR for anything. Which means; FSX-ish reflections - just.. REAL reflections. Not just reflection maps. Insane atmospheric and fog effects, about the same as Outerra. Trees react realistically to winds etc.. Awesome lensflare. Custom LUTs. Just those little things that make a whole lot of difference. :D

You're absolutely right. It would be a dream come true however, to have Physically Based Materials in X-Plane some day, regardless of what engine they use.

I'll add an image for good measure since it's a showoff thread after all. Just about to get started with textures on the second last model now.

Work in progress for the upcoming Train Fever USA DLC. This is the Pioneer Zephyr, 1934.

b9c9a971ee.jpg

Edited by OlaHaldor

A quick google tells me that UE4 has a default tile size limit of 5k squared. (absolutely tiny for flight sim use.)

You can stream more in and the engine will do location shifting, similar to what x-plane does.

No mention of round-earth that I could see.

Details. Important details.

Don't think it has any support round earth as far as I know.  Doubt it will ever be re-purposed to make a flight sim.

But like Ola mentioned, working with a physically based shader system is wonderful, and fairly straight forward.  This is what I would wish for the most in X-plane....well that and maybe an FBX to OBJ converter ;)

Perhaps a pre-flight inspection would look like this (THIS NOT MY WORK!!!)...Again this is all direct from the engine, in realtime.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Oh boy, long time, again. LONG POST! SORRY! :lol:

Been busy with school stuff and some modding.

I jumped over to Modo last summer and set a goal to push myself to learn modeling with it. I also made it into a mod for Train Fever.

7978c188a5.jpg

I attended a game design class the following August, and have just delivered the finals last friday. During the year we've had a couple asset related tasks, such as "make a viking weapon" or "create a modular environment kit".

00522380d8.jpg

ola-haldor-solvik-voll-gd2-pieces.jpg?14

ola-haldor-solvik-voll-modular-design.jp

During the holidays I started making this diesel locomotive. It's also made into a mod for Train Fever.

ola-haldor-solvik-voll-screenshot001.jpg

Just before Easter I got hired to do a landscape for a game

ola-haldor-solvik-voll-ss-2016-02-21-at-

And from just about the same period, from Easter to now, I've been working on a team with two others to make a game for the finals. I didn't get to make too many assets, as I was chosen to do more managing sorts of things, writing scripts, handling contact with external sound designers, composers and animators. I did however get time to texture a couple of the models one of the guys did

15a619b91c.jpg

f900b57b5b.jpg

36d6f2b38d.jpgdc30f2996c.jpg

And at the very last moment they needed a new asset to fill a blank hole, and I modeled/textured a door to cover the hole.

008dae1ab1.jpg

Edited by OlaHaldor
  • Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a couple hours free last night and made a terrain in World Machine. Picked it up this morning to see if I could get a slight grasp at the instancing system in LightWave.

A single tree from Evermotion (over 1.2m polygons..) is instanced over 500K times. Rendered in Octane. A fun little test. :)

The textures for the terrain itself was also done in World Machine, so the mountains and slopes are a little dull, but can possibly be fixed with either some meshes or a masked texture in the given areas. 

b670223082.jpg

Edited by OlaHaldor
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...