My last flight on a Lufthansa 737 (Farewell event to Heviz)

Litjan

Hi everyone,

I would like to share my (somewhat emotional) own personal farewell to the 737 I flew for 10 years here at Lufthansa. I started out as a First Officer in 1996, flying -300, - 400 and -500 variants. Later the -400s where phased out. In 2002 I transferred to the 747-400, and in 2008 I came back as a Captain to my beloved 737. I got to fly it until 2012, when, with the reduction in numbers, I was transferred to the A320 family.

Last Saturday saw the last commercial flight of a 737 in Lufthansa service, but the plane has a huge following among "Lufhanseats", and we were not willing to just let it go like that. So together with the 737-fleet administration a plan was made to bid farewell to the 737 in style.

Two 737-300´s were scheduled to fly to Heviz, Hungary (the "FlyBalaton" airport) on November, 1st - spend the night there and then fly back to Frankfurt on the 2nd. After that there was a farewell event in one of the huge maintenance hangars on the airport. Here are some pics:

Checking in at the airport:

BB1.jpg

A booklet we got and my ticket:

BB2.jpg

Arriving at the D-ABEC "Karlsruhe":

BB3.jpg

Landing/turnoff light assembly:

BB4.jpg

Our head of fleet, who flew us to Heviz:

BB5.jpg

Me getting on board (I hate sitting in the back!):

BB6.jpg

Taxiing out, we saw the second aircraft to follow us an hour later, D-ABEK:

BB7.jpg

Arriving in Heviz, after backtracking we were greated by "water fountains" from the fire-trucks!

BB8.jpg

The Heviz airport:

BB9.jpg

Some detail shots in the afternoon sun:

BB10.jpgBB11.jpgBB12.jpgBB13.jpgBB14.jpg

Even the mayor of Heviz came out to greet us (and he brought some local liqueur!)

BB15.jpg

Malev flies 737s (or used to?):

BB16.jpg

After a nice celebration dinner in a downtown hotel, meeting with many colleagues and friends and a whole evening of "talking 737" we headed back out to the airport the next morning. Our two fine "Bobbies" waiting for us on the apron:

BB17.jpg

"Fanhansa" D-ABEK:

BB18.jpg

My old office

BB19.jpg

Departure over Lake Balaton, so lifevest mandatory!

BB20.jpg

And getting off the 737 for the last time :-((((

BB21.jpg

After we arrived, there was the farewell celebration in the hangar:

BB22.jpg

They REALLY polished good old "Neubrandenburg" D-ABEN:

BB23.jpg

And our CEO and my former flight-school classmate Carsten Spohr had some nice things to say about the 737 (even though he only flew 320s):

BB24.jpg

Finally they pulled the plane out of the hangar in a symbolic "roll-out". The aircraft will be flown to the U.S. over the next few weeks, some of them will continue to fly there. So if you see any of them, give them my best...

https://youtu.be/18qiHDDA-DU

Good-Bye, Bobby! Jan

• Upvote 26

Finally it happens. I remember you told me Lufthansa decided to migrate from 737s. Now it is done. This plane is a very great thing of course, but people are the most important. Thank you very much for your passion with 737 and your efforts to bring us a part of this beauty with IXEG product. I am a very lucky person to get to know you. All the best to you and your family! Cheer up!

Seeing this topic, I'd like to share my experience with Lufthansa B733 this summer. I was on my way back home from a trip to England on 16th July. D-ABED(LH941)took me from EGCC to EDDF, then D-AIGL(LH780)  took me from EDDF to ZSNJ(Nanjing, China). One thing to be mentioned, the aircraft for LH941 was A320 when booking this flight but about one month before departure, the type changed to B733. At that moment, I was flying IXEG B733 frequently on VATSIM, that news made me really excited. This was my first time but also my last time to fly Lufthansa B733.

Weather in Manchester is not that good, at gate 24 ready for push/start.

IMG_9320.jpg

Moments after departure. It was the first time that  SWISS CS100 flew to Manchester that day. I could see groups of people gathering at the spotting location near runway 23L when I was lining up the runway.

IMG_9321.jpg

B733 safety card

IMG_9322.jpg

Cabin shot.

IMG_9332.jpg

Final approach to 25R, great view of the terminal.

IMG_9353.jpg

Remote stand, first time to get off the plane from back door.

IMG_9375.jpg

Fanhansa livery, taken inside the terminal during the 6 hour transfer.

IMG_9420.jpg

D-ABEH

IMG_9562.jpg

D-AIGL waiting for boarding. I chose to fly Lufthansa because of the A343 but B733 gave me a great surprise!

IMG_9573.jpg

Climb out of runway 18, very nice rate of climb:). In fact I prefer a 25C departure because it could let me take some overview photos of FRA airport during the climb:(.

IMG_9588.jpg

A343 cabin.

IMG_9614.jpg

In the end, some shots of airshows in England:)

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_3726_1.JPG

IMG_8759_2_1.JPG

IMG_8590.jpg

Thank you so much:D

• Upvote 9