Help needed with Virtual Avionics MCP-R and EFIS with IXEG 737

dornier

Hi George and mmerelles,

config.xml and kbd.ini seem to be the data to be mapped between plane and hardware. But they look totally different from what I know from lua etc. Maybe an expert like mmerelles could find a way through.

Mmerelles, you can download VA Interface if you register and sign in on VA homepage. No need to own any product from VA. If this doesn´t work I would give you a link to a download where I put software on.

George, I did not change VA data or Interface, but I tested all planes I got with VA modules. Most crashed, but then Challenger300 was the big surprise. In FSX I only tried LevelD 767, but this was frustrating. Anyway I will stay with X plane and still hope for IXEG and FF777.

Regards

Lissy

Hey guys, this is what I hoped what happens if enthusiasts work together to solve problems! Great!

George,

I forgot to ask you if you ever tested EADT x737 (freeware / donation) with VA MCP and EFIS. This works like a charm with my x plane simulator and optically it matches perfect!

Pity, that x737 is a frame eater. IXEG runs faster and the planes flight characteristics are more realistic. But it is exciting to compare both Boeing generations from Classic to NG. And last but not least it helps me to bear the waiting time more tolerable until we get a solution for IXEG...

Regards

Lissy

I have signed and downloaded the app to give it a look. Those text files (under Profiles sub-folder) are internal parametrization files.

Aircraft profiles/datarefs/custom commands mappings are not open for users to modify. They are hardcoded/compiled on the 'VAInterface.exe' binary (you can open this file via text editor, search for IXEG and you will see there).

I can also confirm VA is using the incorrect datarefs for VS mapping thus the problem you see on the display.  I put the correct dataref VA must use for VS display a few posts back on this thread. Correct datarefs & custom commands to use are documented on the aircraft included PDFs (under documentation folder, 2-xxx.pdf)

I am sorry to say you are stuck to VA fixing the profiles and adding new profiles whenever you want to fly another bird :( 

Hope they have plans for releasing an SDK for third party people to develop on top of their hardware without requiring their VA interface and/or they redesign their VA interface for allowing users to create/modify custom profiles by themselves.

Edited by mmerelles
misspelling
  • Upvote 1

Hi mmerelles,

thank you very much for your deeper look on VA Interface. You confirm my fears that there is no chance for help from outside because of sourcecode.

Hi George,

thanks a lot for informing VA about discussion. Amauri from VA wrote me that his IXEG configuration runs without problems. Well, it seems only we both have exactly same issue. Very strange. He wanted some Information and it would be nice if you tell us your configuration. too. Mine is

IXEG version is 1.0.7

VAProfile is IXEG737

VA Intervace is VAInterface_2.20.3.11642

Yesterday I tested other VAprofiles with IXEG737, inspired by my success with Challenger300. Big mistake!

Using PMDG FSX Profile for X plane caused an IXEG crash and I could not start VAIntervace any more. Before re-installing the whole stuff  I discovered that vaintervace.ini is creating new configuratins, (or protocols, whatever) every time if we try new combination with plane and VAprofile. After deleting PMDG/IXEG profile (what should never exist)  inside vaintervace.ini I was happy to get my IXEG back with VAprofile. Of course still without VS function. Problem with interchanged LNAV VNAV is recognized  meanwhile. I discovered that labeling switches is wrong. LNAV has to be on the right side of heading. They mixed labels.VA will send me new labels and I´ll try to repair it myself.

Considering all my experiences I have to say that from all my x plane models only FF757 and FF777 (I don´t have FF767) were easy to install, have high quality features, spophisticated FMS / CDUs, and were easy to combine with saitek and CH hardware. After short time I was able to change Lua scripts and even Python data. With FF planes external Hardware, like saitek (with xsaitek,Sparker), you move real switches and at same time virtual switches follow. This is what I expect from a well done hardware-software combination. This seems to work well with FSX and VAhardware. Pity not for IXEG737.

I am not an expert in programming, but when I first tried to adapt xsaitek with IXEG737 I was wondering that sometimes virtual buttons did not move, but function was there. After some modification inside xsaitek (Lua script) I got switches and function together, but then IXEG crashed (Gizmo alert). Maybe Gizmo is a modern and sophisticated software. I cannot judge this. But, to be honest, the way Flight Factor is doing it gives less frustration and more time flying in the air instead of fiddling around and waisting time. Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Lissy

8 hours ago, Lissyhexe said:

Hi mmerelles,

thank you very much for your deeper look on VA Interface. You confirm my fears that there is no chance for help from outside because of sourcecode.

Hi George,

thanks a lot for informing VA about discussion. Amauri from VA wrote me that his IXEG configuration runs without problems. Well, it seems only we both have exactly same issue. Very strange. He wanted some Information and it would be nice if you tell us your configuration. too. Mine is

IXEG version is 1.0.7

VAProfile is IXEG737

VA Intervace is VAInterface_2.20.3.11642

Yesterday I tested other VAprofiles with IXEG737, inspired by my success with Challenger300. Big mistake!

Using PMDG FSX Profile for X plane caused an IXEG crash and I could not start VAIntervace any more. Before re-installing the whole stuff  I discovered that vaintervace.ini is creating new configuratins, (or protocols, whatever) every time if we try new combination with plane and VAprofile. After deleting PMDG/IXEG profile (what should never exist)  inside vaintervace.ini I was happy to get my IXEG back with VAprofile. Of course still without VS function. Problem with interchanged LNAV VNAV is recognized  meanwhile. I discovered that labeling switches is wrong. LNAV has to be on the right side of heading. They mixed labels.VA will send me new labels and I´ll try to repair it myself.

Considering all my experiences I have to say that from all my x plane models only FF757 and FF777 (I don´t have FF767) were easy to install, have high quality features, spophisticated FMS / CDUs, and were easy to combine with saitek and CH hardware. After short time I was able to change Lua scripts and even Python data. With FF planes external Hardware, like saitek (with xsaitek,Sparker), you move real switches and at same time virtual switches follow. This is what I expect from a well done hardware-software combination. This seems to work well with FSX and VAhardware. Pity not for IXEG737.

I am not an expert in programming, but when I first tried to adapt xsaitek with IXEG737 I was wondering that sometimes virtual buttons did not move, but function was there. After some modification inside xsaitek (Lua script) I got switches and function together, but then IXEG crashed (Gizmo alert). Maybe Gizmo is a modern and sophisticated software. I cannot judge this. But, to be honest, the way Flight Factor is doing it gives less frustration and more time flying in the air instead of fiddling around and waisting time. Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Lissy

Hi Lissy,

I'm also using the exact same profile as you with IXEG 737, 2.20.3.11642,, and 1.0.7.  VA said the same thing to me about it working, but I don't see how that's possible unless they're using a different version of X-Plane or they have a bad 1.0.7 install.  Maybe we have a bad install, but in either case I asked them if they could change the datarefs to match what they should be, then send me a beta of the interface software to see if it works.  You might want to ask them for the same thing to see if they will fix this soon.  Silly question, is it possible to change the IXEG 737 dataref to match VA's hardware? 

I haven't tried the EADT 737 yet.  I've been busy trying to figure out how to get the Opencockpits 737 FMC v3 working with FSX and after that how to make it work with IXEG 737.  I have the FMC working with iFLY 737, but that's it for now.  It's not a plug and play system for sure!

Did you get the the VA MCP and EFIS to work with the newest version of FF 757?  I can get for a discount for being a previous user, but having extensive experience on the 757/767, the previous version was a disappointment.  How's the new version?  What doesn't work with the VA hardware?

As a side note, are you using a USB hub to connect your hardware?  Even though I have a good powerful power supply in my PC, I think I'm working it too hard.  Yesterday, the EFIS panel would turn on and off as if I was cycling the USB plug in and out.  I closed the VA software and restarted and it didn't happen again, but now I have an EFIS, MCP, Navcomm, Transponder, Saitek yoke and throtlle, and an FMC connected.  I think I need a hub and decided to order a Pluggable USB 2.0 7 port hub with 4A.  The specs state that it supplies the full USB 2.0 500ma to each port, so I guess it's ok.  Any suggestions from the group?

Thanks,

George

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, dornier said:

Hi Lissy,

I'm also using the exact same profile as you with IXEG 737, 2.20.3.11642,, and 1.0.7.  VA said the same thing to me about it working, but I don't see how that's possible unless they're using a different version of X-Plane or they have a bad 1.0.7 install.  Maybe we have a bad install, but in either case I asked them if they could change the datarefs to match what they should be, then send me a beta of the interface software to see if it works.  You might want to ask them for the same thing to see if they will fix this soon.  Silly question, is it possible to change the IXEG 737 dataref to match VA's hardware? 

I haven't tried the EADT 737 yet.  I've been busy trying to figure out how to get the Opencockpits 737 FMC v3 working with FSX and after that how to make it work with IXEG 737.  I have the FMC working with iFLY 737, but that's it for now.  It's not a plug and play system for sure!

Did you get the the VA MCP and EFIS to work with the newest version of FF 757?  I can get for a discount for being a previous user, but having extensive experience on the 757/767, the previous version was a disappointment.  How's the new version?  What doesn't work with the VA hardware?

As a side note, are you using a USB hub to connect your hardware?  Even though I have a good powerful power supply in my PC, I think I'm working it too hard.  Yesterday, the EFIS panel would turn on and off as if I was cycling the USB plug in and out.  I closed the VA software and restarted and it didn't happen again, but now I have an EFIS, MCP, Navcomm, Transponder, Saitek yoke and throtlle, and an FMC connected.  I think I need a hub and decided to order a Pluggable USB 2.0 7 port hub with 4A.  The specs state that it supplies the full USB 2.0 500ma to each port, so I guess it's ok.  Any suggestions from the group?

Thanks,

George

Hi George,

I don´t think that we both have same bad install of software. And I´m sure that it does not depend on lacking power because of usb overload. The fact that we both have same problems with MCP / Efis but are using different hardware configuration (PC etc.) is an argument that problems are with VA configuration. But they can not help us if they can´t reproduce malfunction. Curious situation.

Your idea to change IXEG datarefs to fit with our configuration is not bad at all. Maybe mmerelles knows if and how this could be done?

Your Openockpits FMC hardware looks good. It seems you really work on a well equiped cockpit. To live in two worlds with FSX and X plane is challenging. For me it will be X plane for the future and that is one reason to buy FF products. Since I saw how good and easy FMC (CDU) from FF757 worked on ipad I didn´t see any need to buy FMC hardware, because I use ipad like a real device. Instead I bought 2 more Ipads on ebay (ipad 2 is cheap meanwhile and fast enough) and use them on stands for CDU, EFIS display, maps, airport Information, gps etc. Very versatile and no mouse needed. And this lead me to FF777 with it´s absolutely famous CDU. It works like in a real plane. You can type in complete flight plans, or you load them comfortable out of some planning software. SID, STAR, everything works great and if someone wants to fly totally automated even this is possible. If your Opencockpits FMC would fit with this plane it would be outstanding.. but I understood it is FSX only.

I would not invest into FF757 any more but purchase FF777worldliner. This is my beloved plane what I use most beside IXEG737 and x737. And like in real world it is easy to change between types of aircraft. since Boeing is using same layout for their Cockpits. Type rating at it´s best. Go for FF777 and get ipad2 from ebay plus any flexible stand. If you got wireless lan 777 CDU and Ipad find easy together without any additional software. And if you want to use Ipad for other purposes,  Airtrack (EFIS etc) and AirFMC (for IXEG etc.) are a good choice.

But now the bad news: None of FF planes fits with VA Interface. I knew it before from mmerelles but hoped that maybe some switches and knobs could be used. Nada. Since there are many FF planes among x plane simmers my hope goes to VA that they are working on adapting FF.

Last issue USB. I think you are right to support power if so many advices are in use. When I built my pc (only used for simulation) I took a very strong power supply (750W Gold) and added  12 usb sockets directly driven by pc. I don´t need any hubs. Therefore I am sure that VA MCP/EFIS problems have nothing to do with usb power.

Regards

Lissy

This is my sim configuration

win7 ultimate,i7 4790K,32gb ram, geforce gtx1070
x plane 10.51, saitek, radio (2x), multi-panel, switch-panel,
throttle (2x), rudder-pedal, CH-yoke, 2 x ipad2,
VirtualAvionics mcp, efis, haversine airtrack, airfmc,
radio contact4, multi crew experience
ixeg737, x737, challenger300, FF757, FF777, DFCBell407 

Hi Lissy,

IXEG 737 is working!  VA setup a Teamviewer session and he installed the newest version of the VA interface and it works!  Vertical speed and turning the EFIS WX, ARPT, etc., switches now turn on and off correctly.  VA said they would reach out to you with the newest VA interface.  Once again, great bunch of guys to work with. 

By the way, the newest version he sent me is VAInterface_2.21.0.12618.  Let me know how it works out for you.

George

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dornier said:

Hi Lissy,

IXEG 737 is working!  VA setup a Teamviewer session and he installed the newest version of the VA interface and it works!  Vertical speed and turning the EFIS WX, ARPT, etc., switches now turn on and off correctly.  VA said they would reach out to you with the newest VA interface.  Once again, great bunch of guys to work with. 

By the way, the newest version he sent me is VAInterface_2.21.0.12618.  Let me know how it works out for you.

George

did them not say the VA interface was just right and tested as is? hahaha, liars! we saw their programming was wrong on the vainterface.exe binary.

anyway, this is great news to know they fixed the issue based on your perseverance guys. Enjoy your hardware :)

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

I spoke too soon.  Looks like there's an issue with the IAS/MACH speed window when using VNAV.  When using VNAV, the window should be blank, but it appears to always remain in view.  It's not bothersome since the values appear to match the FMC climb and descent pages, but when at cruise it displays some funky number.  I was at .6 mach, but the window displayed 847.  No idea what that's related to.  Maybe N1?  After going from VNAV to FLCH, the speeds were off from the IXEG 737.  Eventually I got it back in sync, but this is something that VA is going to need to fix.  Lissy, let me know if you experience the same thing.

Thanks,

George

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dornier said:

Hi all,

I spoke too soon.  Looks like there's an issue with the IAS/MACH speed window when using VNAV.  When using VNAV, the window should be blank, but it appears to always remain in view.  It's not bothersome since the values appear to match the FMC climb and descent pages, but when at cruise it displays some funky number.  I was at .6 mach, but the window displayed 847.  No idea what that's related to.  Maybe N1?  After going from VNAV to FLCH, the speeds were off from the IXEG 737.  Eventually I got it back in sync, but this is something that VA is going to need to fix.  Lissy, let me know if you experience the same thing.

Thanks,

George

Hi George,

first impression was great. Christmas eve on Tuesday! I did some short flights with just a little bit climbing, sinking and using Efis Buttons. Looks good. Tomorrow I will go into detail. lnav, Vnav etc.. At Germany we got 3 o clock AM now. Time to go to bed. See you tomorrow. Bye

Lissy

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:38 AM, dornier said:

Hi all,

Thanks,

George

Hi George,

I didn´t get far enough to see what happens here, because my "friend" Gizmo is back. One after another:

Trying some small routes without VA-MCP and EFIS (I hate these mouse clicking orgies) IXEG worked perfect. Again I have to say that IXEG FMC/CDU has high quality and for me it seems to be as good as FF777. Then I tried same with VA hardware. It worked fine at the beginning and you are right. With VNAV on, speed doesn´t  disappear on VA MCP, but on virtual cockpit. For me I could live with it if function is ok. But as soon as I used EFIS knobs to change MAP and PLN etc., Gizmo window appeared and EFIS lcd screen went black. Well, this can happen in true life and brings in some suspence for the pilot. But in this cases I am convinced meanwhile, that Gizmo reacts like "overloaded" with data. Same happened  weeks ago when I modified Xsaitek (lua) to get virtual buttons move. Have you noticed that none of virtual knobs (except FD and AT and Disengage) is turning or moving? With EADT x737 and VA hardware all buttons and switches are moving simultaniously inside virtual cockpit.. This helps a lot, because you can be sure that your action really took place. Maybe Gizmo is very sensitiv on this kind of programming and therefore it is difficult to bind in external hardware?

When I flew only with LNAV on, and not to much action in torturing EFIS knobs and switches, it worked without problems, close to be perfect. Since I use Radio Contact in combination with Multi Crew real speaking dialogs, my flight plans only need LNAV support, because RC controllers don´t consider SID or STAR. You follow SID and STAR routes, but controllers tell you altitude and change heading. Like in real life. I love this kind of simulation.

But how could your problems be solved. And why do I get Gizmo alert and your system runs without this problem? Maybe you should try flight plans  without VA hardware (unplugged) and same with hardware on. At the moment, I see some big steps forward to get VA running well with IXEG. But your VNAV problem and my Gizmo incidents show me, that we are still not at the end of our dry spell.

Regards

Lissy

Supplement 3 hours later: I got IXEG running in LNAV / VNAV  mode until I was just before landing. Then Gizmo came in and I had to land manually. But I could reproduce IAS/MACH problems. During VNAV mode virtual LCDscreen stays dark. Good. But on VA-MCP  IAS/Mach lcd is spinning around. I could not find out, what data is running through. But it seems it has no influence on VNAV mode. Of course it is annoying und has to be fixed. I will send this to VA support, too.

Edited by Lissyhexe

On 14/12/2016 at 3:50 AM, Lissyhexe said:

Hi George,

I didn´t get far enough to see what happens here, because my "friend" Gizmo is back. One after another:

Trying some small routes without VA-MCP and EFIS (I hate these mouse clicking orgies) IXEG worked perfect. Again I have to say that IXEG FMC/CDU has high quality and for me it seems to be as good as FF777. Then I tried same with VA hardware. It worked fine at the beginning and you are right. With VNAV on, speed doesn´t  disappear on VA MCP, but on virtual cockpit. For me I could live with it if function is ok. But as soon as I used EFIS knobs to change MAP and PLN etc., Gizmo window appeared and EFIS lcd screen went black. Well, this can happen in true life and brings in some suspence for the pilot. But in this cases I am convinced meanwhile, that Gizmo reacts like "overloaded" with data. Same happened  weeks ago when I modified Xsaitek (lua) to get virtual buttons move. Have you noticed that none of virtual knobs (except FD and AT and Disengage) is turning or moving? With EADT x737 and VA hardware all buttons and switches are moving simultaniously inside virtual cockpit.. This helps a lot, because you can be sure that your action really took place. Maybe Gizmo is very sensitiv on this kind of programming and therefore it is difficult to bind in external hardware?

When I flew only with LNAV on, and not to much action in torturing EFIS knobs and switches, it worked without problems, close to be perfect. Since I use Radio Contact in combination with Multi Crew real speaking dialogs, my flight plans only need LNAV support, because RC controllers don´t consider SID or STAR. You follow SID and STAR routes, but controllers tell you altitude and change heading. Like in real life. I love this kind of simulation.

But how could your problems be solved. And why do I get Gizmo alert and your system runs without this problem? Maybe you should try flight plans  without VA hardware (unplugged) and same with hardware on. At the moment, I see some big steps forward to get VA running well with IXEG. But your VNAV problem and my Gizmo incidents show me, that we are still not at the end of our dry spell.

Regards

Lissy

Supplement 3 hours later: I got IXEG running in LNAV / VNAV  mode until I was just before landing. Then Gizmo came in and I had to land manually. But I could reproduce IAS/MACH problems. During VNAV mode virtual LCDscreen stays dark. Good. But on VA-MCP  IAS/Mach lcd is spinning around. I could not find out, what data is running through. But it seems it has no influence on VNAV mode. Of course it is annoying und has to be fixed. I will send this to VA support, too.

Maybe your hardware plugins are just crap.

We can be "friends" if you drop the tone. You'll get a lot further.

8 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

Maybe your hardware plugins are just crap.

We can be "friends" if you drop the tone. You'll get a lot further.

Hi Ben,

if my hardware plugins are just crap I´m wondering why they are working well with all my other planes...

Following discussion and comments within other forums I learned, that Gizmo problems are arising mainly in using saitek hardware, particularly xsaitek-modification by Bill Sparker. You mentioned at one passage stack overflow. Although not beeing professional programmer I can well imagine what you mean. Wouldn´t it make sense to get deeper into this issue and maybe search contact with Sparker?

My wishes are very simple. You offer an extraordinary 737 what I like a lot. Saitek (now Logitech) delivers inexpensive hardware what can be used in x plane with xsaitek modification, and Virtual Avionics sells some outstanding MCP / EFIS products at a fair price. There are many other enthusiasts like me who have the same idea to get all that stuff working together without any problems. 

Well, since VA modified their Interface I´m very happy with IXEG737. Using only LNAV at MCP and not switching too much or too fast at EFIS I didn´t get any Gizmo alert since new Interface. So, for me, I´m very close to get all my wishes to come true...

Regards

Lissy

Edited by Lissyhexe
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2016 at 2:54 PM, dornier said:

Hi Lissy,

George

Please, how can I get this latest interface software?  When I try to download from the VA website, I'm only getting version VAInterface_2.20.3.11642.msi with no vertical speed wheel support for the IXEG 737.

Edited by signmanbob