Help needed with Virtual Avionics MCP-R and EFIS with IXEG 737

dornier

Hi everyone,

I'm having some problems with IXEG 737 and the Virtual Avionics MCP-R and EFIS panels.

1.  When V/S is selected the vertical speed window opens to -7900 or +7900 and the aircraft doesn't respond to any vertical rate commands.  If I open the V/S window in IXEG, the MCP doesn't display what the software MCP displays.  It's not synced.

2. When flying in vnav, the speed window stays open all the time even though the software mcp shows a blank window.

3. When selecting any of the EFIS control panel modes such as airports, STA, WPT, etc., they turn on, but can't be tuirned off via the hardware MCP.  You can only turn them off via the software EFIS control panel.

4. When switching from map to plan via the hardware MCP, the HSI crashed and the gizmo window displayed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

George

Log.txt

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dornier said:

Hi everyone,

I'm having some problems with IXEG 737 and the Virtual Avionics MCP-R and EFIS panels.

1.  When V/S is selected the vertical speed window opens to -7900 or +7900 and the aircraft doesn't respond to any vertical rate commands.  If I open the V/S window in IXEG, the MCP doesn't display what the software MCP displays.  It's not synced.

Virtual Avionics is not reading/parsing the correct dataref for the IXEG to set their mcp windows properly upon you enter VS mode.

2. When flying in vnav, the speed window stays open all the time even though the software mcp shows a blank window.

This is a feature that requires to be supported by Virtual Avionics software & hardware. When the aircraft is in VNAV mode, virtual avionics must blank their speeding display. It could be they didn't add this feature on their software for the IXEG yet, or their hardware does not support blanking a screen. Most likely first option.

3. When selecting any of the EFIS control panel modes such as airports, STA, WPT, etc., they turn on, but can't be tuirned off via the hardware MCP.  You can only turn them off via the software EFIS control panel.

Same as all of the above. Incorrect use of datarefs & custom commands for the IXEG. Needs fine tuning on their interface.

4. When switching from map to plan via the hardware MCP, the HSI crashed and the gizmo window displayed.

They are making gizmo stack overflow, Virtual Avionics need to fine tune their code. This happened to Goflight MCP PRO + Pollypot interface at first and they fixed it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

George

Log.txt

Virtual Avionics interface is not user customizable, you will be required to get in touch with them to fine tune the datarefs, custom commands they use for the ixeg to get the mcp working at 100%. Also to fine tune the gizmo issue.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mmerelles said:

Virtual Avionics interface is not user customizable, you will be required to get in touch with them to fine tune the datarefs, custom commands they use for the ixeg to get the mcp working at 100%. Also to fine tune the gizmo issue.

Hi Mmerelles,

Thanks for the reply.  Virtual Avionics got back to me with a new firmware and interface software, but I still have the same problems.  They stated that the IXEG 737 works great on their end.  Is it possible that the datarefs on my end are corrupted?  If yes, how do I repair the datarefs?

I'm running X-plane 10.50 and IXEG 737 v1.0.7.

Thanks,

George

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, dornier said:

Hi Mmerelles,

Thanks for the reply.  Virtual Avionics got back to me with a new firmware and interface software, but I still have the same problems.  They stated that the IXEG 737 works great on their end.  Is it possible that the datarefs on my end are corrupted?  If yes, how do I repair the datarefs?

I'm running X-plane 10.50 and IXEG 737 v1.0.7.

Thanks,

George

No, there is no chance you have a broken install if the aircraft is working just fine by itself. "By itself" i mean the aircraft works properly when you use/manipulate all the systems via the virtual cockpit not via external hardware.

This is what comes to my mind assuming the ixeg works great on their end as said:

-they did a mistake and re-send you the same software not the newest version.

-or, for some reason you did not upgrade properly to the newest version and you are still running the old one.

-or, did you double check you have selected the right profile under the VA app? I have seen on their forums you need to select the IXEG profile. The VA interface does not auto detect what aircraft you are running.

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, mmerelles said:

just curious, have you been able to get your VA MCP fully working?

No, not yet.  Still waiting to hear back from the Virtual Avionics team.  They've been a great bunch of folks to deal with, so I'm sure I'll hear something soon.  Thanks for asking.

• Upvote 1

Hi Dornier, your thread is very interesting. I nearly ordered mcp and efis and delayed when I saw your post. Asking VA for compatibility with x plane and problems they answered, no problems. I am not really convinced. Maybe you could give us new information. If you like on pm. 760 bucks is money no one wants to waist. My adress is synchroscan@googlemail.com. Would be very kind to share experience. Regards Lissy

On 11/6/2016 at 0:09 PM, Lissyhexe said:

Hi Dornier, your thread is very interesting. I nearly ordered mcp and efis and delayed when I saw your post. Asking VA for compatibility with x plane and problems they answered, no problems. I am not really convinced. Maybe you could give us new information. If you like on pm. 760 bucks is money no one wants to waist. My adress is synchroscan@googlemail.com. Would be very kind to share experience. Regards Lissy

Hi Lissy,

So far, VA have been a great bunch of folks to deal with.  I'm confident that they will come through and fix some of the compatibility issues.  In all fairness to them, X-plane has been updated several times recently and IXEG 737 has been updated several times.  I'm sure it takes some time to update their software to work correctly.  Initially, I had some problems with my MCP, but they setup a Skype call to work through the issue and it was resolved.

So what's my advice to you?  I would purchase this MCP if you tend to use FSX/P3D with PMDG's 737NGX and 777 or iFly 737.  If you use X-plane and use it with IXEG's 737, it works for the most part, but V/S doesn't work (at least on my setup) and the EFIS control panel switches only work when you turn a switch on.  iFly's 737 works except for the SPD INTV feature as it relates to displaying the current speed on the MCP while using VNAV.  Since it works perfectly with PMDG's 737NGX, I can only assume that they will be able to fix this issue easily in the near future.  

Why did I buy their MCP versus all of the other options?  It looks real and the backlighting is fantastic.  Also, it's easy to setup.  You load their software, then plug in the MCP and EFIS and they work.  I also purchased their iPad CDU software and it works perfectly with the MCP and EFIS software.  By the way, if you purchase the CDU software, make sure to buy the package plan if you fly with multiple PMDG aircraft.  I made a mistake and purchased them separately.  I could of saved a few bucks if I purchased the package, but didn't realize it was available.   

Hope this helps,

George

• Upvote 1

Hi George,

Thank you very much for your extensive answer! Your post convinced me to order MCP and EFIS. Helton from VA gave me a note that it should be at my home in Germany in about 10 days. Indeed there is no other hardware that shows quality and features like VA.

Although I still have FSX on my PC , X plane has become my favorite sim. My hope goes to VA together with FF777 what is one of my best running planes on XPlane.  Since xsaitek software (thanks to Sparkers modification) runs well with FF777  and Saitek hardware I see chances for VA, too. Using ixeg737 for some weeks I found out that ixegs Gizmo seems to make trouble in combining it with xsaitek and other add on. I had to delete xsaitek modifications and xassign add on, because ixeg always crashed. Ixegs 737 is a beautiful plane if someone wants to see and use a detailed cockpit with mouse clicks only. But this is not my understanding of using a simulator. Beeing real world pilot I want to touch real switches and buttons. And, to be honest, I hate mouse click piloting. I use haversiine CDU app for FF777 with Ipad and it works great. If CDU software from AV shows better compatibility I will change.

Now I'll give VA hardware a try and see some chances to get it running in corresponding with VA and in exchanging experience with you and others from a (hopefully) growing bunch of users. It's pitty that there is still no VA dealer or representative in Germany. I will post my experience as soon as MCP and EFIS have arrived.

Kind regards

Lissy

6 hours ago, Lissyhexe said:

Hi George,

Thank you very much for your extensive answer! Your post convinced me to order MCP and EFIS. Helton from VA gave me a note that it should be at my home in Germany in about 10 days. Indeed there is no other hardware that shows quality and features like VA.

Although I still have FSX on my PC , X plane has become my favorite sim. My hope goes to VA together with FF777 what is one of my best running planes on XPlane.  Since xsaitek software (thanks to Sparkers modification) runs well with FF777  and Saitek hardware I see chances for VA, too. Using ixeg737 for some weeks I found out that ixegs Gizmo seems to make trouble in combining it with xsaitek and other add on. I had to delete xsaitek modifications and xassign add on, because ixeg always crashed. Ixegs 737 is a beautiful plane if someone wants to see and use a detailed cockpit with mouse clicks only. But this is not my understanding of using a simulator. Beeing real world pilot I want to touch real switches and buttons. And, to be honest, I hate mouse click piloting. I use haversiine CDU app for FF777 with Ipad and it works great. If CDU software from AV shows better compatibility I will change.

Now I'll give VA hardware a try and see some chances to get it running in corresponding with VA and in exchanging experience with you and others from a (hopefully) growing bunch of users. It's pitty that there is still no VA dealer or representative in Germany. I will post my experience as soon as MCP and EFIS have arrived.

Kind regards

Lissy

The FF777 will not work with your VA MCP + EFIS at all. Ask VA if they have any plans to support this aircraft in the future. VA hardware does not include an open interface that allows you to use your hardware to any aircraft of your liking. They have to develop and release profiles support on a per aircraft basis for you to use it.

This is a very bad approach to me. You can not use any aircraft of your liking, every time a developer updates their bird you also risk to have your hardware grounded until a VA update for that aircraft comes alive. Hope they change this approach.

I do agree their hardware looks impressive and quite cool, but ii would put usability top on the list for the decision.

edit: Just another perspective, not trying to start any war here

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1

Hi mmerelles,

it seems that you own VA hardware or at least have testet it. Would be great to hear more from your experience with VA.  During all these years of using flight simulators I very seldom got sophisticated apps or hardware that worked perfect "out of the box". I wish it would do so, but I am used to work and tune on add ons to get it running - together with other enthusiasts like me. There were people who developed Lua, Python etc. Maybe this will open new chances. I need to hold VA hardware in my hands and see it working - or not. Maybe I will be disapointed. It is a risk. I know. 

Regards

Lissy

12 hours ago, Lissyhexe said:

Hi George,

Kind regards

Lissy

Hi Lissy,

You're welcome.  By the way, if you're buying this from VA directly, see if you can get a desktop stand.  It has a slot for both the EFIS and MCP and makes life easy unless it's going into a home built cockpit.  Yes, once you get it, please let us know your experience with it.  

There are pros and cons with owning an EFIS and MCP.  You get stuck with only certain types of aircraft, but at the end of the day I've settled with a 737 which is a perfect fit with the EFIS and MCP from VA.    

By the way, VA's CDU software doesn't work with x-plane right now.  Hopefully it will at some point.  

I agree with Mmerelles, it would be nice if the software was open source to allow the flight sim community to adapt to new aircraft. 

Enjoy,

George

• Upvote 1

Hi George,

thanks for your hint! I wrote Helton at once a note. Maybe my order hasn't left their house yet and I will get a desktop stand. Would be nice.

If mmerelles is right and I will never get my FF777 running together with VA hardware I would be disappointed, of course. But my goal is not to get all airplanes working together with VA, but rather one or two heavy Boeing models.  Maybe I will have to buy a new plane that works perfekt with VA. If the new model is as good as FF777 and all my add ons like radio contact and multi crew experience run well together I would be happy. Getting one big plane as realistic as possible for a home office. That is it for me.

Kind Regards

Lissys

16 hours ago, Lissyhexe said:

Hi mmerelles,

it seems that you own VA hardware or at least have testet it. Would be great to hear more from your experience with VA.  During all these years of using flight simulators I very seldom got sophisticated apps or hardware that worked perfect "out of the box". I wish it would do so, but I am used to work and tune on add ons to get it running - together with other enthusiasts like me. There were people who developed Lua, Python etc. Maybe this will open new chances. I need to hold VA hardware in my hands and see it working - or not. Maybe I will be disapointed. It is a risk. I know. 

Regards

Lissy

I do own the products from Goflight https://goflightinc.com/store/gf-mcp-pro-airliner-autopilot-module/. I did consider moving to VA hardware being modern and some nice cool features like backlighting, but since they do not work to all aircraft of my liking (in fact for xplane they only work to the IXEG so far and not 100%) it was a no go for me.

Every aircraft uses different datarefs and custom commands to mimic the real aircraft avionics and features, when you have an external hardware to interact with, you need a software that assign/customize those commands on a per aircraft basis profile to assign switches, buttons, display, rotaries to the aircraft counterparts. So when you flip, move, push your hardware they translate into proper orders to the sim aircraft.

VA interface software is not open to the user, you need from VA they create those profiles on a per aircraft basis to support every aircraft of your liking. So you are stuck to what aircraft they consider to support as well as their time frames to release those profiles.

Goflight provides a SDK interface for their hardware and a third party developer Pollypot developed an application were the user create their aircraft profiles on a graphical interface by itself. You can assign the hardware buttons, display, rotaries, switches, etc that loads automatically based on the aircraft you chosen on xplane.

This is important to me because i want to use my hardware to any jet i have, currently i do own FJS727/737, FF757/767/777, IXEG 733. While the hardware MCP layout is based on a 737, every jet has IAS, ALTITUDE, F/Ds, VS, ALTITUDE, VORs, FLCH, HDG, APP mode, etc, and assigning those features and manipulating them from there is much more immersive than rotating the camera and using the mouse to me.

If you are not much concerned on using your hardware other than the IXEG bird you are just fine, because this is a high demand bird, VA released support for it already and working on fine tuning the profile to make all features to work.

If you are concerned on the FF777 that could be a problem because there is no profile from VA available yet for their interface software that assign the hardware buttons/switches/etc to their aircraft counterparts. Ask VA if any plans/timeframe for releasing a profile for this bird.

Hope this clarifies a bit

• Upvote 1

Hi mmerelles,

thanks a lot for your clarification and explanation! This gives a very  good overview on what the problems are in adapting multi functional hardware. Seems you have an equal understanding of how simulation has to work like me.  You made experience with goflight, I worked with VRinsight combo, what went fine with FSX but did not really convince me and cost me much time in adapting it to x plane. VA seemed to be a new and sophisticated hardware to beat goflight and VRinsight. 

Maybe there is a chance to get VA software adapted to other planes in using lua programming. With help of the community I could manage to get VRinsight running with x plane, although it looked very complicate at the beginning. If there is no way with lua and VA hardware and  VA is not willing (or unable) to adapt more planes from x plane, my last chance will be ixeg737, what I already own. Multi crew experience meanwhile updated to ixeg and I give orders to virtual FO Clive if I don't want to use mouse clicks. In former post I reported about problems in adapting xsaitek soft- and hardware to ixegs gizmo programming.  It is pitty that there is no full compatibility to saiteks multi panel what would be a good  compliment to VA hardware. Saitek radio panel works fine with ixeg, by the way. Beside ixeg 737 VA is supporting x737 (freeware) they say.  A nice and modern plane,  but classic 737 is more what I want to use. 

Now I am very impatient to hold VA mcp and efis in my hands and see, how hardware and software work together with x plane.

And I hope that VA will have plans to support more x plane planes like my beloved FF777.

Regards

Lissy

Hi George (Dornier),

meanwhile I got note from Virtual Avionics that sending my combo has little delay. To compensate I get desktop stand free. Fine. Will be interesting what custom says and how much tax will be. It seems that there haven't been many VA hardware sent to Gerrmany. By the way, just curious:  What is your home country and how did you receive VA hardware? 

Regards

Lissy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi George and mmerelles,

mcp and efis bundle arrived on thursday morning. 4 days shipping from Brazil to Germany. Record. Everything well packed and desktop stand was in. No tax no customs. At first glance some excellent pieces of hardware. First test with x737. Great! Looks like a mirror to original plane. Backlight fantastic. All buttons and switches turning and moving without delay in simulator. 2 little problems: Bank angle button no function and Disengage button knows only one way. I am very happy with this first test and would buy it again.

Test with ixeg737 is different and shows more problems. Biggest one: Vertical speed is not working. Wheel turn runs from 7900 minus to 7900 feet plus. I think George had same problem. Not usable. I gave VA a note and got a support ticket meanwhile.

And now I understand critics from mmerelles. It seems there is no chance to modify or adapt VA software with Lua or Python. There is no dataref. Or I did not find it. Maybe others will find a way. I need more time to have a deeper look on this problem. But for the moment I enjoy the perfect interaction with x737. Flying by night , no roomlights, only dimmed light from VA mcp gives a wonderful immersion feeling. I love this little piece of hardware. Although it is not perfect yet.

Regards

Lissy

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Lissyhexe said:

Hi George and mmerelles,

mcp and efis bundle arrived on thursday morning. 4 days shipping from Brazil to Germany. Record. Everything well packed and desktop stand was in. No tax no customs. At first glance some excellent pieces of hardware. First test with x737. Great! Looks like a mirror to original plane. Backlight fantastic. All buttons and switches turning and moving without delay in simulator. 2 little problems: Bank angle button no function and Disengage button knows only one way. I am very happy with this first test and would buy it again.

Test with ixeg737 is different and shows more problems. Biggest one: Vertical speed is not working. Wheel turn runs from 7900 minus to 7900 feet plus. I think George had same problem. Not usable. I gave VA a note and got a support ticket meanwhile.

And now I understand critics from mmerelles. It seems there is no chance to modify or adapt VA software with Lua or Python. There is no dataref. Or I did not find it. Maybe others will find a way. I need more time to have a deeper look on this problem. But for the moment I enjoy the perfect interaction with x737. Flying by night , no roomlights, only dimmed light from VA mcp gives a wonderful immersion feeling. I love this little piece of hardware. Although it is not perfect yet.

Regards

Lissy

Hi Lissy,

Glad you got it and I'm also glad we both have the same problem with vertical speed.  I thought it was just me.  I too put in a ticket for the vertical speed issue.  If you haven't heard from them, you might want to post the issues on Avsim as they monitor the VA forum there.  By the way, I disengage the autopilot via my saitek yoke.

I agree, it would be nice if we have control over the software in order to deal with new aircraft and issues like the vertical speed issue.  By the way, have you tried FSX and PMDG 737 NGX?  It works great with it.  

How do you like the stand?  I have one, but decided to build my own since I also have a Jetmax Nav/comm radio( which doesn't work with X-plane at all) and OpenCockpits transponder (works with X-plane and IXEG).  It came out nice for what it is, but it's temporary until I start building the cockpit.

Enjoy,

George

• Upvote 1

Hi George,

ticket didn´t work because of ajax error. Helton from VA is checking it. Meanwhile he passed my mail to VA support. No answer until now.

I will follow your advice and post my experience and problems at avsim forum. 

I wanted to test mcp and efis in FSX, but I don´t use one of VA supported planes. My LevelD 767 is not supported. Anyway, I will stay with x plane. I like this simulator, and since all my hardware and add ons are running well with x plane, I will use FSX only for helicopter simulation. EADT x737 (Freeware-Donation) runs perfect with VA mcp/efis and meanwhile I like this plane. Glass cockpit is side by side. Now there is no need anymore, to use ipad mcp screen, although haversine runs well with x737 and others. Ipad may now be used for maps etc.

Desktop stand was easy to combine with saitek hardware. It sits above 2 radio stacks and proflight switch, fixed with velcro. Works great, btw., with x737. Much better than ixeg737. I use radio stacks from saitek. Since Sparker made it usable it is a very good combination. Radio, nav, transponder, baro, dme, all at one glance and easy to operate. Seems you work on a sophisticated cockpit. Tell us more about ist. It is always inspiring to see how many good ideas come out of the community.

I hope, like you, that VA will manage to get ixeg737 running, and, maybe, the whole Flight Factor family: 757,767,777. Very good planes and CDUs. You must have a look on FF777. This is exactly the design like VA mcp and efis. And cockpit monitors  (glass screen) are side by side, like x737.

Regards,

Lissy

In addition to my last post I have to report that I was too early happy that there was no tax and vat for shipping VA mcp and efis to Germany. Now I received an invoice from FedEX with around EUR 160.-. Total price for bundle (mcp+efis) including vat, tax and shipping to Germany would now be 1000 USD. For me it is still a good value for the money and I would by it again.

Lissy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello MCP737-R owners, good news for Challenger300 pilots.

Since there is no answer yet to VA interface repair for  IXEG 737 I used weekend for getting closer to VA datarefs. There is a lot of data and mapping, but very hard to understand, because I don´t know sourcecode-editor.

But I found a second plane to work well with MCP: Challenger 300 (Aerosoft)

After upgrading it to Challenger10.51 I tested plane and - surprise, surprise - it fits very good with MCP. FD, AP, Alt, VS even course and Lnav can be set by MCP. LCDs show right data, only backlighting doesn´t work.

BTW: Challenger looks better after upgrade and flight characteristics improved a lot. Especially at low speed and in landing configuration.

Regards

Lissy

On 12/5/2016 at 5:16 AM, Lissyhexe said:

Since there is no answer yet to VA interface repair for  IXEG 737 I used weekend for getting closer to VA datarefs. There is a lot of data and mapping, but very hard to understand, because I don´t know sourcecode-editor.

After upgrading it to Challenger10.51 I tested plane and - surprise, surprise - it fits very good with MCP. FD, AP, Alt, VS even course and Lnav can be set by MCP. LCDs show right data, only backlighting doesn´t work.

BTW: Challenger looks better after upgrade and flight characteristics improved a lot. Especially at low speed and in landing configuration.

Regards

Lissy

I also found that the Carenado FSX Dornier 228 works with some of the MCP modes.  Sounds like you're digging into the code to see if we can adjust datarefs, thanks great.  Hopefully someone can help you figure it out, maybe even VA.  It will be great when they fix the IXEG 737 and iFLY 737 issues.

Thanks for the info!

George

24 minutes ago, dornier said:

I also found that the Carenado FSX Dornier 228 works with some of the MCP modes.  Sounds like you're digging into the code to see if we can adjust datarefs, thanks great.  Hopefully someone can help you figure it out, maybe even VA.  It will be great when they fix the IXEG 737 and iFLY 737 issues.

Thanks for the info!

George

I have quite a bit of experience on the IXEG datarefs you are required to use, also in programming. But i do not have the VA interface neither their hardware. Is the VA interface free to download to anyone not having the hardware? if so, i can try to give it a look on the code and confirm if they are using incorrect datarefs for VS and suggest you a fix eventually.

Or it could be another issue or hardcoded and you are stuck no matter what.

EDIT: i.e., can you guys digg yourself on the VA code and confirm the following?

-For the VS display to show correct information they have to have mapped dataref 'ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_vs_dial_ann' (if they are mapping xplane default dataref it won't work)

-For the VS wheel to properly adjust pitch they have to have mapped dataref 'ixeg/733/MCP/mcp_vs_target_act' and apply +/- 1 value to the memory position based on user wheel rotation direction to increase/decrease pitch which will result on the VS display adjusting automatically as well

Edited by mmerelles

On 12/5/2016 at 5:16 AM, Lissyhexe said:

Regards

Lissy

Hi mmerelles,

I'm not finding a file with datarefs in it.  Maybe Lissy was able to look at the source code of other files (.exe and .dll), but I'm only able to view .ini and .xml files.  None of them appear to have datarefs.  

Thanks,

George