GTN integration

Morrigan

Hello!

So, RealityXP released their GTN750 for 64bit version of X-Plane. As far as I could gather, it's rather very well made product. 

Now, as far as I know, some developers in "the other sim" allow 3rd party nav aids to be installed into the panels. A very neat thing indeed!

So here is my question, I guess to @Goran_M. Are there any plans, or possibility to work on proper GTN750 integration within Citation?

Now, I don't mean to sell the plane with GTN as stock, but to have an optional version for the RealityXP's owners that could incorporate the system into 3D cockpit and whatnot.

Personally, I think that could be quite benefitial both for customers as well as LES. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

On this note, although it's extra work, I'd love to see swappable GPS options where you can choose between the KLN90, GNS and GTN units. I'd be willing to pay extra for such a feature, even.

It makes no sense, Eddie.  The RealityXP GTN is Windows only (as already stated), so that won't happen.  The (existing) KLN90 is SASL based, so that won't happen.  That leaves the GNS430 and 530, which we have already stated would be in the aircraft.  In addition, swapping 3d instruments (especially the GPS) is not a simple thing, and can lead to performace issues.  

I disagree, I think it makes a lot of sense. But it's your plane.

How does swapping instruments cause performance issues, though? The IXEG does it and it's one of the best performing aircraft out there for me. The FJS aircraft and 767 also have it and I haven't noticed any real deficiencies.

Given that the GNS430/530 will support SIDs and STARs in XP11, I think there is less need for swappable GPS options. Of course the GTN has much more additional features, a better map display etc., but as it's Windows only I can understand that it's not considered an option.

I am more curious about how the new stock G1000 will look like. Maybe that would be an option for a future update?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

How does swapping instruments cause performance issues, though? The IXEG does it and it's one of the best performing aircraft out there for me. The FJS aircraft and 767 also have it and I haven't noticed any real deficiencies.

Let me try to understand what you are asking for, Eddie.  

You want the option of choosing a variant of the Citation with either a Garmin 430 or a Garmin 530.  But not both.  (I'd rather leave the KLN out of this discussion for now as it's a SASL product, and we have a ton of Gizmo code in the navigation systems.)

The Citation has been changed since last you probably saw it and we now have both Garmins on the panel.  So you can turn on both or just 1.

Swapping them is, kind of, a moot point.  

7 minutes ago, mgeiss said:

Given that the GNS430/530 will support SIDs and STARs in XP11, I think there is less need for swappable GPS options. Of course the GTN has much more additional features, a better map display etc., but as it's Windows only I can understand that it's not considered an option.

I am more curious about how the new stock G1000 will look like. Maybe that would be an option for a future update?

I would actually look very seriously at adding the G1000 for the XP11 version.  I'll discuss with Jim and one of us will reply back.

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Maybe you misunderstood.  If the GTN is Windows only, that is NOT an option.  Since the KLN90 is powered by SASL, that is NOT an option.  So, the only thing left is the GNS430/530, which I stated will be in the aircraft and is the only remaining option.  Therefore, there would be NO swapping required anyway!

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

IXEG swaps GAUGES, which is low impact.  When you swap a GPS, the hidden instrument(s) are simply not drawn but the sim still needs to run all the logic, which can be significant.  That has the potential to create a performance issue.  Considering our mission is to create high fidelity, study-level simulations, we need to conserve every frame that we can.  

Edited by JGregory

7 hours ago, mgeiss said:

7 hours ago, Goran_M said:

I would actually look very seriously at adding the G1000 for the XP11 version.  I'll discuss with Jim and one of us will reply back.

I have NEVER seen a Citation II with G1000 avionics.  Therefore, this would not be an option as we are trying to create aircraft that are based on reality.

Edited by JGregory
  • Upvote 1

IXEG swaps GAUGES, which is low impact.  When you swap a GPS, the hidden instrument(s) are simply not drawn but the sim still needs to run all the logic, which can be significant.  That has the potential to create a performance issue.  Considering our mission is to create high fidelity, study-level simulations, we need to conserve every frame that we can.  

Thanks for the explanation.

Is there an actual incompatibility between Gizmo and SASL or do you just not want to use it?

There have been people who have used the KLN with the Saab.  I think I've seen people use XFMC with the Saab as well.  We do have an issue with that, and that issue is, if any problems arise (crashes, fps stutters, autopilot problems, etc...) then we can't offer official product support.  We would be doing support for our work AND someone else's work. 

• 1 month later...

Can't remember if I posted this earlier or not..but I had the opportunity last month to go pick up our new Ultra from Wichita where it was getting a cargo door installed (don't ask how much that cost). It was also my first chance to play with the GTN750 - what a nice box! It would be nice to see it in the Citation II...(but I can understand why it is not being considered)

6e6c9e95cb208c6296e64a76ef0cf8886ead6fd1

5f49cbc86a79010c6ee87768513d400f34c7efd0

30657a569ebd0362c8848051ff6da15b0e7f17de

BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R
  • Upvote 3

On 10/11/2016 at 5:32 AM, Goran_M said:

I'll discuss with Jim and Cameron and one of us will post back.

If you could use any help on this project, testing, etc. Please let me know. I've got 3,500+ hours of Citation time and a long time flight sim user. Love what I'm seeing here! 

youngmd2@gmail.com

- Mat