cw777

Unable to search airports

I have this code (where destination is a input from user such as 'egkk', 'egll')

nav.setSearchGroups( 1,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 )

navID = nav.findNavAid(string.upper(destination), "*", "*", "*", "*")  
navaid_type, destLat, destLon, alt, ICAO_ID, Name, reg, freq, heading = nav.getNavAidInfo(navID)

console.log(navaid_type..ICAO_ID..Name..reg)

and when I quickly output some of the response data, I get not found (when trying with famous obvious airports like heathrow and gatwick). When I make more searchGroups 1, I do get responses but of irrelevant DMEs, etc. So my question is, How can I retrieve (correct and reliable) airport data based on a ICAO input?

Cheers

XPLMFindNavAid require six parameters, not five.

As you're using the ICAO code try this:

navID = nav.findNavAid(nil, string.upper(destination), nil, nil, nil, nil)

10 hours ago, AlfaMike said:

My bad, I thought that it uses the same syntax of XPLMFindNavAid, sorry.

Hey, no prob!

To my best of my understanding, Gizmo API has omitted the last parameter of XPLMFindNavAid, which is nav_type, because you have already set that by the nav.setSearchGroups(). 

And if you really think, why Ben put it that way... it makes absolute sense in the long run!

Looking again at the documentation the ID parameter is still the 2nd, not the 1st:

nav.findNavAid( name, id, lat, lon, frequency )

So now I'd try with:

navID = nav.findNavAid(nil, string.upper(destination), nil, nil, nil)

Thanks for the replies - will try this when i get home. Meanwhile, i also noticed that even when it did find a navaid in JKF (new york) and I was in london, using the trig function that finds distance between two global points would give a decimal answer, which i am (according to docs) meant to multiply by 60 to get in nm. It returned as 72...which is obviously not right. Any ideas? (will get back to you on the airport search). just for further clarification, I used the acf.getPosition() lon and lat, with the lon and lat of the found nav id (have checked those values and they are all correct up untill the output of distancebetweentwoglobalpoints*60)

Many thanks.

That's the code i'm using to calculate the distance from the aircraft to next waypoint:

distances_tbl[1] = trig.distanceBetweenWorldPoints(acft_pos[1], acft_pos[2],
        fmc_info[fmc.getDestination()][2], fmc_info[fmc.getDestination()][3]) * 60

Cheers. Will get back on all this once I get home. Looks like exactly what I am doing assuming the referenced elements are normal lon/lat.

Appreciate the help.