Single digit FPS with SMP 3.3.2 and RWC

Jjohnson241

I updated to SMP 3.3.2 with RWC and tonight got 4-5 FPS with heavy clouds in the Washington D.C. area, KGAI airport.

I uninstalled SMP and RWC and my FPS went to 32-35 with XP Real Weather at the same airport with the same weather conditions, all other XP settings the same.

I'm running XP 10.50 x64 with an I7-830 @ 4GHTZ, 16gb RAM and a GTX 970 3gb VRAM and Win 10 x64.

I had been running XP 10.45 with SMP and RWC with acceptable FPS, nothing great but livable with SMP settings "medium".

I think SMP/RWC has a real problem with XP 10.50. At least it certainly appears so. 

I run XP full screen and don't tab in or out. I've been running the "anniversary update" with XP 10.45 with no FPS issues.

Be interested to hear how others are making out with XP 10.50 and SMP-RWC 3.3.2. I'm going to leave both uninstalled until I see some evidence that SMP can run with 10.50

had the same issue after SMP 3 update , couldnt even make a flight route with these single digit fps numbers ( mostly 08 - 010).
But i could confirm ( 98%) after some heavy route flights ( 3 hours etc ) in bad weather conditions that S.M.P 3.3.2 solved that issue and everything is smooth ( 30 fps stable).

i used FS Global real weather engine , but i strongly recommend NOAA weather plugin + Sky Ventura. i made a flight today from LGAV to LIMJ and combined with SMP and RWC ...the result was beyond words... Rain/thunderstorms  with heavy clouds, turbulence , upper winds etcc with stable and smooth 30 fps.

SMP/RWC runs fine with 10.50. If you're running into performance problems, I'd suggest resetting your SMP configuration settings to start from a known good configuration, and then turn up the cloud draw area while you're in stormy conditions until performance is no longer acceptable in order to find the sweet spot for your system.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, sundog said:

SMP/RWC runs fine with 10.50. If you're running into performance problems, I'd suggest resetting your SMP configuration settings to start from a known good configuration, and then turn up the cloud draw area while you're in stormy conditions until performance is no longer acceptable in order to find the sweet spot for your system.

Before uninstalling, I reduced the SMP settings, specifically the Cloud Draw distance and the next parameter (forget what it is at the moment) and the last configuration parameter to the far left. I applied the change in SMP, restarted the flight and the FPS increased 1-2 FPS to 7-8 FPS overall.

I understand your comment but please explain to me why I got 30+ fps across all weather conditions in XP 10.45 and got unacceptable FPS performance using the same settings in SMC 3.3.2 in both XP 10.45 and XP 10.50?

So, given my experience as explained above, what settings should I have decreased?

Well, X-Plane 10.50 uses a bit more resources than 10.45 I imagine. So if you were running on the edge of your available memory, VRAM, and/or CPU power, perhaps 10.50 just pushed you over the edge. Your system should be more than capable of handling it, so I'm betting you have a bunch of other add-ons installed that may just be too much now. If you want further guidance, post your log.txt file and we can give some advice on what might be eating up your resources.

• Upvote 1

sSpent a few hours over the weekend chasing this problem, playing with various plugins, etc.

I'm back now to 30-35 FPS on an overcast and cloudy day over my test airport (KGAI) with SMC 3.2.2 and RWC.

The problem turned out to be a conflict with X-FMC and planes using the GNS530. The impact of the problem, on my machine at least, is single digit FPS. I uninstalled X-FMC and things got better.

Still interested though in tuning SMC/RWC. Is there a tuning guide around?  

Edited by Jjohnson241