Doubts

xXNightEagleXx

Yesterday i had one of the best flight experience with SMP, a 30000ft flight with high altitude clouds. However today i see one of those moments where SMP does not shy as it could (i know it is capable of). 

I've attached the image below to describe the context with .... images.... however by words i can say that even at max xplane and SMP draw distance and a meteo data that describe at least partially what it is going on in front of my eyes, i don't see a visual appearance that resemble what i'm seeing. This mismatch is even worse than in game x-plane default rendering meteo system. This is not the first time i see this mismatch, but i've waited for a better example before opening a thread about it.

I would just like to know if it is something on the pipeline to be improved? Don't get me wrong, i'm not criticizing SMP, i like it, i really like it, it is just that sometimes when in stormy/cloudy conditions i feel that SMP is not giving the best.

PS: the default cloud details was actually 100%. 

Airfoillabs_C172SP_low_res_7.png

Airfoillabs_C172SP_low_res_3.png

Airfoillabs_C172SP_low_res_2.png

Airfoillabs_C172SP_low_res_5.png

Airfoillabs_C172SP_low_res_6.png

IMG_1442.JPG

Edited by xXNightEagleXx

It's simply that our interpolation of METAR data across various stations doesn't necessarily match up with X-Plane's default weather system. As a result, what you see in X-Plane's weather map may be slightly different than what SMP/RWC represents. And due to time delays in the data, neither ours nor X-Plane's weather representation necessarily matches what's out the window exactly. In this example, you're close to the edge of a cloud bank, and we apparently have you beyond that edge while X-Plane's weather map does not. Meanwhile, wind had probably moved the clouds over the location in the real world as there is around a one hour delay in weather data.

We've talked to Laminar about having tighter integration between X-Plane's weather map and what our weather data is telling us in future releases, and have already written some code to support this once it's possible.

Edited by sundog
  • Upvote 1

There is just one last thing to note.I proceeded with further test, right after my first post, and i noticed that there was a drastic visual change between camera at runway elevation (just like seen in the images) and at higher altitudes (i guess over at least 5000) where the visual result actually resembled the metar data. Just wanted to add this last feedback.

Thanks