Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zeke*Earl

Pause near top of descent

21 posts in this topic

Hi all, where can I find the 'pause at TOD' option? Thank you. 

Edited by Zeke*Earl

As numerous pilots have pointed out: it's so wanted ...

Considering I've now only heard of this just now, I'm not sure I agree. I don't see the realism factor in this.

That's like...not even close to a half of percent of people requesting something like this.

There is a nice plugin called Auto Pause: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/7257-autopause140zip/

It works with any plane and is easy to use.

Of course it doesn't automatically take the calculated TOD into account, but you can set the pause point reasonably close as long as the planes calculation is reasonably accurate. You can of course always set an arbitrary point if you don't fly with VNAV engaged, but want the sim to pause before entering the STAR for example.

Edited by mgeiss

Hiya's,

Without getting flamed or sniped at, isn't the 'p' key a pause ? or am i missing something altogether ?

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, Defiance_co said:

Hiya's,

Without getting flamed or sniped at, isn't the 'p' key a pause ? or am i missing something altogether ?

Cheers

Tony

Yes, P is pause but it requires you being there to press it.

Pause at top of descend is a feature you see i.e. on the PMDG jetliners, when enabled, you do all of the takeoff and initial climb, then you engage VNAV/LNAV/A/P and you can leave home or go to bed, once the aircraft reaches TOD it pauses automatically so when you are back to home or wake up, you can resume the simulation and do all the approach and landing process.

This feature is specially useful for medium to long range jetliners like the 777 were a transoceanic flight may take +10 hs, not everybody has the time or enjoys babysitting the A/P for +8 hs. You may leave home and estimate when to come back, but if something delays you, you are done.

There are other alternatives like speeding up the simulation while in cruise, setting xplane to 2X, 3X. This may also help on short trips <2/3hs when you have to get to destination soon to leave home.

Edited by mmerelles
misspelling

Heya,

Ahh, now that makes more sense lol

I'd never heard of it before tell you the truth

You live n learn

Cheers

mmerelles

Tony

Airliners like the 757, 767 and 777 by Flight Factor, SSG (748) and JARDesign (A332) among others, provide this option. As @mmerelles pointed out ... it's really convenient when you're on a long haul.

Another vote here for using the Autopause pluggin, having used pause at TOD often in PMDG, I prefer the Autopause feature as it allows you to pause a bit further from the TOD which in turn gives you more time to plan a new decent in case of weather changes or change of destination.  Set it to 150nm from the airport and you are pretty much 10 mins from the TOD anyway.

Another positive is if the VNAV messes up your TOD (which happens from time to time, but maybe not so much after the next patch :) ), you don't end paused at completely the wrong part of your flight plan.   I have flown about 12 transatlantic flights using autopause and everyone has worked perfectly.  Usually I takeoff on Fri or Sat evening, once at cruise I enable autopause, and do the approach the next morning.  I hit the jet stream head on yesterday, 132kt head wind, 4hr flight turned to 5.5hrs, so I set autopause up 100nm before TOD, in case I had to divert for fuel.  My fault for choosing a poor route so far south ( I went via the Azores not via Newfoundland), but if I chose pause at TOD, I probably would have ended up in the drink! 

Hmmm, for me there is no point in letting the sim fly on its own and then even autopause on its own...

I prefer pattern work and short flights – as takeoffs, touch and goes, go arounds and landings are much more fun than long haul trips in thin air (except you get off the plane in real life, far from your home ,-)

Bassy regards
Benjamin

I hope this is a low priority item.  No real need for it.  What's the point of taking off, then going to bed, or leaving home?  If all you want to do is take off and land, then take off, get up to cruise, then restart a new flight at TOD near your destination.  You can then compress a 10+ hour flight into about 45 minutes.

If this is for VA use, then that really defeats the purpose of flying for a VA.

I agree that it would be a nice feature someday, but I hope it's at the bottom of the list.  I'd much rather have a bullet proof FMS and flight systems model first.

Tim

We all have our needs, and all use flight simulation  in different ways,  For me the PATOD is a bit game changer and is more than likely not see me park the plane in the hangar. All the big simulation DEV's ship it on other platforms so actually it must have some value to the community...

Regards
Liam Reynolds

Edited by Lairyliam
edit

Optional would suit me :)

Hoping it's not gonna be forced on us

Then again, doing so much of an indepth study level plane and forcing something pretty unrealistic to some, well this would surprise me thinking about it

ps : Other payware having this, is it an optional or is it defacto standard ?

Cheers

Tony

I dont need it as my flight are never more than 2 hrs and if i really have to left, P is enough in my case. If it is an option then i dont mind. This is why i love this plane so much, short flight in top notch simulated 737-300. That is realism.