Engine start, generator lamp, graphic memory

Pontus

Hi!

I recently purchased SAAB 340 and have three questions.

Could it be me who doing something wrong, or could it be something to be addressed and fixed in the future.

1 During installation you must choose how much video memory you have. Less than 2 GB or more than 3 GB.

Is it the dedicated memory or the total referred to here?

I have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

Dedicated 1536 MB GDDR5

Shared MB 6115

Total 7651 MB

2, The RIGHT generator lamp seems to be connected to the LEFT generator switch.

It then looks like the right generator works even though the engine is not even running.

It does not matter if I have the right generator switch on (after reset) or off, it still follow the left switch.

3, You can not start the engine unless you have the C / L in the START position.

Is it not more correct to start the engine something like this? What you can not do now.

Ignition OFF

C / L to OFF

Press and hold the start button

Wait and watch instruments ...

C / L to START (FUEL ON)

Ignition ON, within two seconds,

Release the start button

Regard

Pontus

17 hours ago, Pontus said:

1 During installation you must choose how much video memory you have. Less than 2 GB or more than 3 GB.

Is it the dedicated memory or the total referred to here?

I have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

Dedicated 1536 MB GDDR5

Shared MB 6115

Total 7651 MB

As you referenced, the memory being referred to in the installer is VIDEO memory.  Not system RAM.  Without more specific information about your system, I can't answer your question specifically.  Video memory is that which is associated with your video card (the GTX660).

2, The RIGHT generator lamp seems to be connected to the LEFT generator switch.

It then looks like the right generator works even though the engine is not even running.

It does not matter if I have the right generator switch on (after reset) or off, it still follow the left switch.

The lights on the overhead panel indicate whether or not the "bus" is powered.  The light are "OFF" when the bus has power.  The GEN busses can be ON or OFF depending on many circumstances, and can be OFF even when the generator is running.  Again, you have not provided enough information for me to give you a more specific response.

3, You can not start the engine unless you have the C / L in the START position.

Is it not more correct to start the engine something like this? What you can not do now.

Ignition OFF

C / L to OFF

Press and hold the start button

Wait and watch instruments ...

C / L to START (FUEL ON)

Ignition ON, within two seconds,

Release the start button

You can "engage" the starter with the CL in the "Fuel Cutoff" position.  This is known as dry motoring and IS modeled in our simulation.  But dry motoring is not considered the "more correct" way to start the engine.  The Saab does prevent the starter from engaging in certain circumstances, such as the when the engine is spinning down after being shut off.  

17 hours ago, JGregory said:

The lights on the overhead panel indicate whether or not the "bus" is powered.  The light are "OFF" when the bus has power.  The GEN busses can be ON or OFF depending on many circumstances, and can be OFF even when the generator is running.  Again, you have not provided enough information for me to give you a more specific response.

Hi JGregory and thanks for your answer!

I will try to explain a little better with help of some pictures what I mean with the R GEN annunciator.

In short, it seems that the R GEN annunciator follow the LEFT GEN Switch and not the RIGHT.

Regards Pontus.

R Gen OFF Bus Tie SPLIT.GIF

Both engine i running. Right generator OFF. Bus Tie SPLIT. The R GEN annunciator should be ON?

R Gen OFF Bus Tie Auto.GIF

Both engine i running. Right generator OFF. Bus Tie AUTO. The R GEN annunciator should be ON?

L Gen OFF.GIF

Both engine i running. LEFT generator OFF. RIGHT Generator ON. Bus Tie AUTO. Should the R GEN annunciator not be be OFF here?

R Eng+Gen OFF.GIF

Right engine is OFF. Right generator OFF. Bus Tie AUTO. The R GEN annunciator should be ON?

Pontus,

I cannot recreate the “state” of the Saab in the first picture you provided.  I would also need to see the “entire” panel, similar to screenshot #4.  In addition, when you provide  screenshots, I need to know ALL the steps you took to get to that “state”.

As for screenshots 2, 3, and 4:

In screenshot #2 the right battery is powering the R GEN bus, therefore the annunciator is OFF.

In screenshot #3 you stated that the right generator was on.  Just because the generator switch is in the “ON” position does not mean that the generator is on.  My guess is that the generator relay was open and if you had set the switch to “RESET the R GEN bus annunciator would have extinguished.

Screenshot #4 is the same scenario as #2, the right battery is powering the R GEN bus. And, if the left engine was running and the left generator was on, the “closed” bus-tie would allow the R GEN bus to be powered from the L GEN bus.

The Saab electrical system is fairly complex.  There are many variables that can effect how the power is distributed.  We have thousands of customers who have found the Saab to be a very accurate simulation.  I am happy to answer most questions, but I simply do not have the time to explain every detail of the internal workings of the electrical system.

Edited by JGregory

I am glad that many think that the SAAB is very accurate simulation.
That's partly why I bought this particular plane. The other reason is
that it's always been my favorite plane since I in real life worked
for three different airlines, all that had the SAAB 340 in their fleet.
I think it is very good that it is avalible for the X-plane. Good work!

Unfortunately , I am still a little puzzled.
Maybe it's because I have flown a SAAB 340 in Microsoft FS for a lot of hours
a few years ago, but without the phenomenon I am now experiencing.

I understand that you can not and should not describe the electrical system in detail.
I can read about on my own.

Yes, I did use RESET to engage the generator in screenshot #3 in the early post.

I finally want to show three pictures that might show what I find strange is even more apparent.
Whatever I do, the R GEN Annunciator follows the LEFT generatorn switch and not the right.
It behave like the L GEN and R GEN annunciator is the same.

I use the BUS TIE SPLIT so it becomes more clear.

Both engine running_Bus tie_SPLIT_R GEN OFF.GIF

Both engines running. (Started with the included "Autostart".)
Right generator is turned OFF. This can be seen at the R MAIN BUS which is lit and the meter on the DC ELEC
that does not show anything.
Should not the R GEN shine here when the generator is switched off / disconnected?

Both engine running_L GEN OFF_R GEN ON.GIF

Now I instead turn of the left generator. (Right generator is now ON .Yes I have used the Reset too)
It is visible on L MAIN BUS lights and, also in the gauges above (DC ELEC) and the L GEN indicates that the alternator is disconnected.

Exactly the same time when i turned off the left generator the R GEN Annunciator also start to shine.
Why is the R GEN Annunciator lit? Should it not be be OFF? R MAIN is off and gets its power from the right generator and is also shown

in the next image below. There you can see on the meter (DC ELEC) that the right generator supply.

Both engine running_L GEN OFF_R GEN ON(1).GIF

We may not solve it more than this and that's ok.
I will continue read manuals by my own and test more.
Thanks for the help! Maybe I will return if other issues shows up. ;-)

Best regards Pontus.

Pontus,

I cannot completely diagnose what you are showing without a clear step-by-step list of what you did, with screenshots after each step.  Like this...

1. Autostart.

(screenshot (as described below))

2. CL to max.

(screenshot (as described below))

etc.

The screenshots should be of the entire overhead panel, main panel, and pedestal... so I can see all the controls and annunciators.

Also, please attach your Log.txt and GizmoLog.txt files from a flight where these conditions occurred.

Edited by JGregory