Cirrus clouds moving with the aircraft

daemotron

I found a behaviour where in some situations, the cirrus clouds start moving with the aircraft, while "normal" clouds remain stationary, so the aircraft moves relative to them. It's a bit hard to explain; therefore I recorded a few seconds of video where this hopefully becomes visible:

The video was recorded with X-Plane 10.50rc1. The behaviour occurred in parallel with some terrain loading issues (late loading of tiles), which is currently under investigation by Laminar. I could make both problems go away by setting the runloop/time_per_frame_usec art control to a sky-high value of 5,000 (only possible with specific debug versions), so potentially there is a link between those two. For sake of completeness, I attached both log files (X-Plane and Gizmo).

To be fair (and to prevent criticism), the video was recorded with SMP 3.2.1 (prior update to 3.2.2). So if you say that it was known behaviour already fixed, I apologize - I just couldn't see a link to the published change log, so I assume it's perhaps more related to X-Plane 10.50 vs 10.45 than SMP 3.2.2 vs 3.2.1 (but that's just a guess of mine).

Log.txt

GizmoLog.txt

SMP has always worked that way with cirrus clouds. I'm not saying it's ideal, but since our cirrus textures are complex and can't tile seamlessly, we had to choose between texture quality and motion. Since cirrus clouds are usually far from the plane and their motion small in comparison, this seemed like the best trade-off to make.

You might want to try different cirrus texture settings in SMP's configuration; it's more or less noticeable depending on how many cirrus clouds there are near the center of the texture.