Skymaxx I understand you're hungry... But don't eat my fps!

tolix

Yes... The new update of SMP is letterally destroing my system.

I used to fly the IXEG 733 in EDDF with good settings at 60-80 fps... Now I'm fighting to be at least over 35... That's weird.

Don't tell me "cut down on rendering opions" because I already did it.

My system:

16 gb DDR3 1600 MHz

GTX 750Ti

H97 plus motherboard

SSD 250 gb and Samsung HD 1TB

i5-4460

23 minutes ago, tolix said:

Yes... The new update of SMP is letterally destroing my system.

I used to fly the IXEG 733 in EDDF with good settings at 60-80 fps... Now I'm fighting to be at least over 35... That's weird.

Don't tell me "cut down on rendering opions" because I already did it.

My system:

16 gb DDR3 1600 MHz

GTX 750Ti

H97 plus motherboard

SSD 250 gb and Samsung HD 1TB

i5-4460

Disable RWC in "plugin admin" and give it another try.... it seems to me the problem occurs in some europe sceneries / areas. Especially together with HD_mesh and OSM/w2xp. Would be happy having over 35 fps ;)

Edited by jweber

35 fps its a bless.... i have 8 to 12 fps with GTX980 , i7 3930 4.7 ghz , 32 gskill 2133 ram and ultra fast ssd. I start to believe also  that there is an issue in Europe , especially in the central/west/north scenery areas.Disabling w2xp or RCW didnt fix that issue.

4 minutes ago, seth said:

35 fps its a bless.... i have 8 to 12 fps with GTX980 , i7 3930 4.7 ghz , 32 gskill 2133 ram and ultra fast ssd. I start to believe also  that there is an issue in Europe , especially in the central/west/north scenery areas.Disabling w2xp or RCW didnt fix that issue.

that's strange... maybe your settings are too high

2 minutes ago, tolix said:

that's strange... maybe your settings are too high

with default x-plane clouds + Fs global read weather everything is smooth and stable to 30 - 60 fps with out any drop  during the whole flight route. 100% its not high rendering settings. Cameron and Sundog allready know regarding this "weird" fps issue.

2 hours ago, seth said:

with default x-plane clouds + Fs global read weather everything is smooth and stable to 30 - 60 fps with out any drop  during the whole flight route. 100% its not high rendering settings. Cameron and Sundog allready know regarding this "weird" fps issue.

I hope they can solve it... I've sent my lo as asked

12 hours ago, tolix said:

I hope they can solve it... I've sent my lo as asked

Yes, SMP + RWC also takes some performance. Mostly drops I have are in central europe regions, Big urban areas with many objects have a bad influence when you cross over, even in cruise altitude and it drops dramatically if many clouds are covered. I see this also when I set the default clouds, but fps are slightly better compared with SMP.

Tolix, in EDFF I have appr. between 12 and 28fps (goes up and down)  activate world traffic with lot of AI animation. GPU and CPU are utilized between 40 to 60 degree. I think it is not a problem of graphic-card and processor but memory capacity and bus bandwith..

Jack

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jweber said:

Yes, SMP + RWC also takes some performance. Mostly drops I have are in central europe regions, Big urban areas with many objects have a bad influence when you cross over, even in cruise altitude and it drops dramatically if many clouds are covered. I see this also when I set the default clouds, but fps are slightly better compared with SMP.

Tolix, in EDFF I have appr. between 12 and 28fps (goes up and down)  activate world traffic with lot of AI animation. GPU and CPU are utilized between 40 to 60 degree. I think it is not a problem of graphic-card and processor but memory capacity and bus bandwith..

Jack

Ok thanks,

I' ve heard that someone solved reinstalling X-Plane

just reinstalled x-plane 10, no Hdmesh, w2xp, airports ( except payware EGLL/LSGG) , no extra libraries etc..  and i still had this weird frame drop loss after 25 min flight.

attached some screenshots for a preview. Even with minimum skymaxx settings i had  8 or 10 fps. the only way to fix and return to smooth and stable flight of 30s,40s,50s fps is to

disable SMP.

a330_1.png

a330_2.png

a330_3.png

a330_4.png

1 hour ago, seth said:

just reinstalled x-plane 10, no Hdmesh, w2xp, airports ( except payware EGLL/LSGG) , no extra libraries etc..  and i still had this weird frame drop loss after 25 min flight.

attached some screenshots for a preview. Even with minimum skymaxx settings i had  8 or 10 fps. the only way to fix and return to smooth and stable flight of 30s,40s,50s fps is to

disable SMP.

a330_1.png

a330_2.png

a330_3.png

a330_4.png

I SOLVED IT:

I noticed that with a broken overcast i was at 60-70 fps (some fps dropped, but I can stay happy) at Aerosoft's EHAM.

I set "refresh rate of monitor" in "framerate lock" (rendering options) and it works with all types of overcast, only 10 fps dropped ad Pilot Plus' Geneve.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tolix said:

I SOLVED IT:

I noticed that with a broken overcast i was at 60-70 fps (some fps dropped, but I can stay happy) at Aerosoft's EHAM.

I set "refresh rate of monitor" in "framerate lock" (rendering options) and it works with all types of overcast, only 10 fps dropped ad Pilot Plus' Geneve.

Glad to hear you're back to working well again! :)

I compared Version 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2 on my HW (Nvidea GTX 980, 8 core, 16Gb Memory, WIN10) and found that Version 3.2 has the less negative impact to frame rate. But careful ! - this is just an impression of myself and might be differe on an other Hardware. As I see, GPU and the CPU having almost no workload and it happens however and  most frequently during descending (why the processor tasks are almost idle while FPS slows down?). In areas with good performance I checked processor tasks who performed about 70%. My conclusion: GPU & CPU performance could not be the reason - they just not receive any workload in this Situation. Memory, by the way, is always used 50 - 60%.

I'm not convienced that SMP/RWC is the only source. The issue does not disappear even without hd mesh or w2xp and with object and distance low settings. Disabling SMP improves it a little bit but not massive (to compare it fair,  you have to set the cloud coverage between 40 and 70 degree on default clouds).

I start to believe it might have also to do with the europe object library.

Edited by jweber
  • Upvote 1

On ‎05‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 6:45 PM, seth said:

disable SMP.

seth, if this problem occurs, try to  deactivate RWC first and SMP second and have a look what happens. After that, activate again RWC first and SMP second. Perhaps you have to set the weather options again in XP. I expect your fps performance is back again after this.

The solution which helped tolix does not work for me, unfortunately.

It looks like a kind of buffering is filled after some time and is never cleared. I hope one of the dev's has this on his list already.

EDIT: Deleted filepage.sys to ensure XP is using the whole physical memory without paging and I hoped it would improve the performance a bit, but the sim was running out of memory (even with 16GB!).

I went back and working again with pagefile (on SSD). I don't use W2XP any longer, that gives me fps 12-30 with setting objects to "tons" , distance "low" , "extended DSF" . I still use HD-mesh. Sometimes I have even higher rates, depending on the plane (new SSG E170 Evolution is consuming much fps in flightdeck view). I always telling about flying in big city areas with busy airports and medium to high settings. So my conclusion: Skymaxx is not the mainly reason for fps drop(it is also) - rather the scenery and amount of objects are (HD_mesh, oms).

by the way:_ flying over water(sea) in clear sky pushes fps going through the ceyling - and now set weather so SMP has to draw many clouds and compare the fps you get what you have over land. You lose some rates of course - this is what SMP is consuming. And water is also a texture in XP but without objects :unsure:!

Edited by jweber
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sundog said:

That's not surprising; the more area of the screen that the clouds cover, the higher the demand on the fill rate capabilities of your graphics card. It's kind of unavoidable.

Is it possible to render the cloud's at distance greater than 10000 as 2D textures which would most likely greatly help with performance? FSX uses 2D textures, but the cloud and storm systems still look amazing. Could this be possible to realize and has the team already considered it, or would the fps gain be so low that the visual tradeoff is just not worth it?

Edited by Denco
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sundog said:

We already do that. We just do it so well that you can't even tell :) Any clouds beyond 50km are rendered to a ring of 2D textures.

Would a reduction of this distance of 50km to says 25 km would improve performance ? I would guess that yes as XP would have less 3D cloud to draw.

An option to reduce this distance of 3D cloud display would be nice. What do you think of this ?