RWC and destination weather

DarrenHowie

G'day guys,

firstly excellent products and thanks.

My question relates to still an ever present issue with X plane and it's weather portrayal.

firstly my background is I have been flying for 31 years and am an A-320/330 Captain and have been involved with simming for years.

My question relates to destination weather.

With numerous weather stations it is highly likely you will get a last minute change to your visual weather when on approach. Ie fog at your destination but the station generating the weather is clear so it's not until you get very close on approach that the airport suddenly disappears.

is it in any way possible to somehow select either an airport or lock the weather to your destination such that the weather will already be changed prior to starting your approach?

To be visual at 15 miles with CAVOK conditions then have the airport disappear at 400' is highly unrealistic and from an immersion viewpoint lacking.

by inputting say a reporting station to lock the weather would eliminate what us a major Xplane issue.

i have also seen that on departing from airfields reporting low RVR due fog that once airborne the weather clears almost instantly as no cloud was reported just low RVR.

Anyway great products but I definitely feel realism could be improved significantly if you could lock the weather to a destination as really the weather at an adjacent location means little in terms of the setup for your arrival into your destination. Frequently with fog you can have clear conditions quite close to your destination in the real world. In Xplane you can see you destination then boom at 300' is disappears on short final.

the ability to lock weather in this case to fog ie a stratus layer would eliminate that issue. 

Also with low RVR and no cloud reported forcing a stratus layer is a good way to simulate fog as at the moment when you depart the weather clears as you get airborne and you can see the runway you just departed from.

a forced stratus layer provides a far more realistic simulation of fog than simply reducing the vis as a stratus layer is exactly what fog is.

best regards

darren