X-FMC 2.7 and Saab 340a

GEL

Wondering if anybody else is experiencing an inability to launch the Saab and X-FMC. I just get a frozen screen and have to task bar a shut down of the sim.

Having no other issues with the Saab (minus xfmc) or other models w/ xfmc.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On July 30, 2016 at 9:02 PM, GEL said:

...thanks for the link Jose. I may have stumbled on a resolution though. I found and deleted an older cfg file ( saab folder) I suspected wasn't helping things.

The Saab fires up ok now with xfmc intact.

Cheers

That would be awesome if true.  Since no line aircraft flew with a Garmin, but did have retrofitted FMS's in the center pedestal, it would be nice to be able to use XFMC. 

Yes ...the cfg file was a previous xfmc file that apparently conflicted w/ the recent version (2.7 ?)

xfmc automatically writes to the current active plane and the fact that i wanted to use the saab w/o xfmc

and xfmc was preventing the simulation from loading was the issue ....

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:36 PM, Goran_M said:

Hi Tim

Check out the Centre console on the photo I attached.  Particularly the 2 Garmin units at the base. 

I agree that a very few exist, but only in the private sector.  That picture is of a Saab that was owned by Indiana University, and flown under Part 91 as a corporate aircraft.

There were no airline operators that flew the Saab under Part 135 or Part 121 with Garmin's.  They all had a basic FMC installed in the center pedestal, and was basically a LNAV only version of an FMC.  It looked, and operated just like any other LNAV unit we see today.

The LES Saab appears to be a fine aircraft, worthy of most of the praise it has received.  I'm just astounded that the third most important system for an aircraft was not modeled.  Behind the flight control system, and the engine system, the navigation system is next up in importance.  The X-Plane Garmin unit is an after thought that we already paid for once when we bought X-Plane, and now we get to pay for again with the Saab add-on.  Not the expectation for a "study level sim."

Anyhow, it's your project, and you certainly are in control to direct its development as you envision it.  With the system depth that is there in things like CTOT, and such, a basic LNAV FMS is a glaring omission for a line operated aircraft.

Tim

Edited by Tim013
sentence clarification

12 hours ago, GEL said:

Yes ...the cfg file was a previous xfmc file that apparently conflicted w/ the recent version (2.7 ?)

xfmc automatically writes to the current active plane and the fact that i wanted to use the saab w/o xfmc

and xfmc was preventing the simulation from loading was the issue ....

That is good to know.  There are a lot of people that would probably like to know that information.  It might be worth posting it over at the .org in the XFMC forum.

Tim

I really don't want to get in any debates about our development road map.  You claim that no airline operators flew the Saab under Part 135 or 121 without an FMC.  Ok.  I disagree (and have the photos and documentation to prove it) but ok.  

Your statement about paying for the Garmin with your X-Plane purchase, then paying for it again with the Saab...I have a couple of things to say about that.  It SEEMS as though you have some kind of negative bias, either towards us or towards the aircraft.  The Garmin was, in fact, not included with the original release of the Saab.  The Garmin, along with a slew of other updates, that took us months of work and testing, were all provided in the release you now have, free of charge.  And if you only recently bought the Saab, you got it for $5 LESS than when it was originally released in 2013.  

Pretty good deal, if you ask me.

In closing, feel safe in knowing that you are now in possession of a study level Saab 340A, that is being used by 2 airlines in the US for their flight training.  

Edited by Goran_M
  • Upvote 2

There were plenty of A variant, line flying, GPS utilizing, regional passenger carrying Saabs in operation, Tim. We've seen them first hand during development of this aircraft.

This was not a "glaring omission", and the current Saab 340 operators using our software to train their pilots would also disagree with you.

If we were talking the B variant I would be more agreeable with you. Considering the fact this product took nearly 4 years to develop, the only glaring omission I'm seeing is your ability to accept you may just be wrong, and that the work put into this product is worthy. The numerous Saab operators seem to think so, anyhow.

• Upvote 1