Great plane with flaws

ibawbag

I just recently purchased this because of the amazing reviews. I agree it is a great plane, the systems are tremendous and the sound blows me away. It probably feels better and more realistic than any other but  the fmc is terrible. It looks like a Spectrum zx with the low resolution blocky text and half of it not working. I was amazed at how crap the fmc was. I knew of the no tcas and no des now etc before buying but the fmc is terrible. FF 767 now the fmc on that baby coupled with the support for tablets etc is the best yet. 

I almost always land manually but to test the AP I tried a few autolands, only 1 out of 4 was successful. It was all over the place with the slightest wind. Even with calm conditions it managed to do a half arsed un commanded toga 200 feet from runway. 

Im being very critical because of the price but the dynamics and systems are superb. The menu for loading etc definitely needs a make over. The fmc and menu (completely irritating) look somewhat freeware. For 6 years development and $75 I expected more.

A great plane, one of the best, let down by some fundamental flaws and bizarre omissions. I compare this to having all PMDG, Flighfactor, JAR Design and Aerosoft on Fsx, P3D and X-Plane.

Redesign the menu and redo fmc and it will be even better.

Edited by ibawbag
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, that was entertaining.

Sounds like you're doing something wrong with your autolandings. Couldn't tell you what. I've done 10 or so in the last week with zero hiccup.

I don't have much else to say with regards to everything else, though I sincerely disagree with you on the FMC. Do you have an old video card or something? With as many YouTube videos as are out there for this aircraft, either you did poor research or you're slightly misinformed as to a number of things with the systems. This isn't some modern era NG (or even 767).

Menu stuff is completely subjective. We'll wait for more complaints on that before going further.

Didn't mean to sound too negative, I love this plane but just saying my gripes. Autoland was weird. Both nav radios set, course set, loc and gs captured, both autopilots set, gear down and flaps set. On approach about 200ft from threshold it pitched up and commanded thrust/speed increase. Maybe it was just me or the weather as my successful autoland was in clear conditions.

I do still hold my views on the fmc though. Ok exaggeration as to half of it not working, I just think it could look better.   My Gfx is a 770 and no issues with my other airliners.

like I said I'm not being overly critical or a hater, I think it's awesome.

thank you for taking the time to reply much appreciated.

Edited by ibawbag

I compare this to having all PMDG, Flighfactor, JAR Design and Aerosoft on Fsx, P3D and X-Plane.

Redesign the menu and redo fmc and it will be even better.

I can partially sympathize with some of your remarks, but comparing IXEG to JARDesign is a joke. JAR is basically one step above a computer virus in my eyes, with the non-existent support and buggy products three years after release (hey, at least you got a response to this from an admin within two hours)

• Upvote 1

Hi ibawbag,

Thanks for the nice words and the feedback.

I can´t confirm your problems with the autoland - are you using some sort of weather injector/third party program? The real autopilots´autoland has some pretty strict limits on wind speeds (max CWC 10kts) and will also fail if there is a sudden change in winds close to the ground.

The look of the CDUs is 100% realistic (and I have stared at those things for 10 years). The comparison with the ZX Spectrum isn´t half bad, because the era when they were designed is probably the same! Yes, the real ones have crappy resolution, a mind-numbing monochrome green and are slow to operate to boot. If other developers have "niced them up", then I would write that off to artistic liberty. Here is a shot of the real one:

P1130541.JPG

and this one wasn´t 75$ :P

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 5

I stand corrected sir, yes it was the weather. Appologies. 100% spot on CWC.

thank you guys for the lightning fast and friendly responses. Superb support.

Never been happier to admit I'm wrong although I do feel like a total idiot now :)

Edited by ibawbag
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ibawbag said:

I stand corrected sir, yes it was the weather. Appologies. 100% spot on CWC.

thank you guys for the lightning fast and friendly responses. Superb support.

Never been happier to admit I'm wrong although I do feel like a total idiot now :)

Don´t be - we have all been there...especially with equipment this complex. I am here for your questions and advice, and I would hate it if someone refrained from asking or remarking about something for fear of being wrong. And don´t worry, I still have to learn some things about the 737 myself ;).

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 3