Pressing FLCH / VNAV on the ground.

From what I gather, it is never done on the ground. My question is, would pressing FLCH or VNAV on the ground also activate TO/GA and advance throttles in the real aircraft like it does in the IXEG? Or are other reasons why you should never do it in a Classic? I know it is a hypothetical question but I'd greatly value anyone's input with knowledge! Thanks!

When you press FL CHG or VNAV the autothrottle enters a "combined mode" - in most cases it will set climb thrust (N1) to fly the airplane to the next desired altitude. Try this - put the MCP altitude to below the aircraft and then click FL CHG. You will see that the autothrottle enters the combined mode of "retard - idle" and tries to descend.

So yes, on the older software FMCs the throttles would advance to N1 limit thrust, and if the pilot is a total fluke, it would "take the aircraft to the air" (unless buildings or trees are in the way) :lol:

The autopilot has no idea wether you are on the ground or not, you can even see it trying to fly a turn if you engage HDG SEL when you engage CMD on the ground...

Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 1