Speedbrake AXIS inverted / opposite of other XP aircraft

Phil Chimbolo

I tried searching the forum for this problem.  I found where the key assignments for deploying and retracting spoilers were inverted.   But what is frustrating is that the IXEG 737 uses the opposite joystick AXIS orientation from any other X-Plane aircraft I have and every time I want to fly the IXEG I need to invert the AXIS in the joystick setup screen before I begin my flight.  Then I need to invert it again to fly other aircraft.

Sorry of this was posted before.   But any help to make the management of that AXIS consistent across my aircraft would be much appreciated!

BTW -- I *LOVE* this aircraft!!!   You guys did an incredible job on it AND your responsiveness to inquiries and bug fixes have been top notch!

Edited by Phil Chimbolo

Hi Phil,

thanks for the nice words about the plane!

... The correct direction of speedbrake buttons and axis has been the cause for much debate. There is no consensus - as some say that "deploying" speedbrakes is akin to deploying flaps (down) - others say the speedbrakes go "up" to deploy - and then there is the physical motion of pulling the speedbrake lever "up" (from forward to pretty much vertical) but at the same time making a "down" motion with your mouse or hand (if you grab and pull it to you).

I think now we are going with the "default X-Plane direction" (down to deploy, up to retract) since we didn´t change the assingment - which in my view is reversed. But we had a lot of complaints when the direction was reversed, and I think there is just no pleasing everyone.

For now the easy solution is: Don´t fly any other planes :P!

Cheers, Jan

9 hours ago, Phil Chimbolo said:

I tried searching the forum for this problem.  I found where the key assignments for deploying and retracting spoilers were inverted.   But what is frustrating is that the IXEG 737 uses the opposite joystick AXIS orientation from any other X-Plane aircraft I have and every time I want to fly the IXEG I need to invert the AXIS in the joystick setup screen before I begin my flight.  Then I need to invert it again to fly other aircraft.

Sorry of this was posted before.   But any help to make the management of that AXIS consistent across my aircraft would be much appreciated!

BTW -- I *LOVE* this aircraft!!!   You guys did an incredible job on it AND your responsiveness to inquiries and bug fixes have been top notch!

1 hour ago, Litjan said:

Hi Phil,

thanks for the nice words about the plane!

... The correct direction of speedbrake buttons and axis has been the cause for much debate. There is no consensus - as some say that "deploying" speedbrakes is akin to deploying flaps (down) - others say the speedbrakes go "up" to deploy - and then there is the physical motion of pulling the speedbrake lever "up" (from forward to pretty much vertical) but at the same time making a "down" motion with your mouse or hand (if you grab and pull it to you).

I think now we are going with the "default X-Plane direction" (down to deploy, up to retract) since we didn´t change the assingment - which in my view is reversed. But we had a lot of complaints when the direction was reversed, and I think there is just no pleasing everyone.

For now the easy solution is: Don´t fly any other planes :P!

Cheers, Jan

xassign is the way to go:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/12551-x-assign-linmacwin3264/

• Upvote 1

If you have FlyWithLua then this little script will handle the swopping of the direction of the speedbrakes axis between the IXEG 737 and other aircraft.

Just copy this file into your x-plane/Resources/plugins/FlyWithLua/Scripts folder. Edit the file with a text editor and change the "speedbrake_axis_assignment" variable to whatever your speedbrake (spoiler) axis assignment is inside X-Plane. You can get the axis number from the "initial_assignments.txt" file which is in the x-plane/Resources/plugins/FlyWithLua folder.

ixeg_set_speedbrake_axis.lua

Edited by jfjoubert