New Computer: Intel 6700K @ 4.6ghz + Nvidia 1080GTX VS X-Plane 10

HiFlyer

These are not beauty pics, they're strictly functional for showing frame-rates over a large city, (New York) which stayed locked at 30 with Vsync on and between 30 and 45 with it off. Frames tended to dip while taking screenshots.

Cutting to the chase, it seems this tech combo does really well with X-plane! Its hard to Imagine wanting much more.........

Eclipse_5_zpsh3eclcc9.png

Eclipse_4_zpsj5a6yh65.png

Eclipse_2_zpso3n18iki.png

Eclipse_3_zpsc2kljaol.png

Eclipse_7_zpsq6pyghku.png

Eclipse_8_zpscmnb3nf0.png

Eclipse_7_zpsq6pyghku.png

Hi! Devon

• Upvote 1

Hiya,

Yeah, you've got a great combo :)

I have the v-sync set to 50% of monitor, so 30fps but it nudges up to 32fps on occasions for a second or two, also i made a profile for x-plane, single monitor/threaded optimisation Off (only ever used one monitor, but i can dream of a three mon setup)

My 5820k at 4.7 is the bottleneck now for ground eye-candy hehe

Maybe invest in the latest cpu, but i'm not sure on the overclocking potential as i've not searched and got nowhere that money saved yet lol

My opinion is now after having a 1080, the anticipated titan/ti version coupled with a somewhat faster cpu (just around the corner i guess lol) then x-plane 10 may just may be about to be matched hardware-wise

I'm just touring the world for eye-candy now lmao

A small wish, maybe now we can have a larger render distance option for the road lighting effects, seems now with the power to render those further, they look out of place now being somewhat of a low radius

Great pics btw

Enjoy your new hardware ;)

Have Fun

Tony

ps : You ever used free-sync or more to the point g-sync ? i've no idea if a g-sync monitor is worth my next wad i shell out

Tony

Edited by Defiance_co
spellingz

On 7/11/2016 at 4:57 PM, HiFlyer said:

These are not beauty pics, they're strictly functional for showing frame-rates over a large city, (New York) which stayed locked at 30 with Vsync on and between 30 and 45 with it off. Frames tended to dip while taking screenshots.

Hi! Devon

Do you use HDmesh V3?

Can you post performance picture with heavy weather (ie mult-clould layers across extended tiles).  

Am looking to upgrade to similar config.  Thanks! 

On 7/13/2016 at 0:30 PM, slai said:

Do you use HDmesh V3?

Can you post performance picture with heavy weather (ie mult-clould layers across extended tiles).  

Am looking to upgrade to similar config.  Thanks! 

Sorry, I've been playing with my new toy recently and wandered off for a while. I will load up some heavy weather and try to honor your request. In the meanwhile here is a quick video of me pushing my system to the edge.....

And no, no hd mesh, it stretches X-plane bootup time too much for me.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 1

Different settings. You can easily get up to 60/70 fps depending on the combinations of settings you use. Its all on what looks good enough to you. That being said, while the 1080 doesn't necessarily make a huge, gigantic, enormous fps jump, it does add 10 or 15 fps extra, and allows you to turn a lot of previously untenable settings on while doing so.

In this second video I change a few settings, and the fps jumps. Change a few more and I am at 50fps. Turn off HDR and I am at 70fps, etc........

Very happy with the card, so far.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice, but try to increase resolution. 1 LCD is piece of cake for your combo. what about 3 LCD and 3x higher resolution.

I have i7 at 5.1 Ghz (watter cooling) and cca 5000 x 1500 px 3 LCD combo. it works, but....i am thinking about new VGA (now GTX970 on board ). GTX1080 perhaps.

Its a quandary. Monitors with outrageous resolutions seem to be all the rage, but I've found 1080p more than enough for years, and am not too keen on squinting at ultra small lettering. I have a sneaky suspicion that at just about the time these fancy monitors come into their own, everyone will be in the process of switching to VR..........

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 1

I have an Acer Predator curved 34" monitor with G-SYNC and do like it, but running at the higher resolution requires more horsepower to max out the settings.  Sometimes, I wish I had just went with a lower resolution curved 27" monitor.  I am waiting to see if Nvidia releases a 1080ti version and for the Intel Kaby Lake processor i7-7700K which I will try to overclock to 5 + ghz.

Edited by azpilot

20 hours ago, azpilot said:

I have an Acer Predator curved 34" monitor with G-SYNC and do like it, but running at the higher resolution requires more horsepower to max out the settings.  Sometimes, I wish I had just went with a lower resolution curved 27" monitor.  I am waiting to see if Nvidia releases a 1080ti version and for the Intel Kaby Lake processor i7-7700K which I will try to overclock to 5 + ghz.

Same here, love my Curved 34Inch Screen but the res. is of course requiring a good GPU and CPU, currently I'm runnin a 980Ti and a Haswell i4770K but I'm planning to get a 1080Ti Version as well and a newer, better CPU...