FMS Changes cause pauses/stutters

hamoody

Before updating to 1.0.6, my 737 worked just fine. However, since updating to 1.06 (the problems persist in 1.0.7), I get an annoying ~5 second pause when entering data into the FMS before I fly. Even worse, though, when changing information regarding my route (for example, changing the altitude I want to cross a waypoint, proceeding direct to a waypoint, etc), for about 30 seconds- 1 minute my entire sim drops to what seems like under 1 FPS, pausing, going briefly, then pausing again, almost like the aircraft is taking a long time to process the information. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or maybe downgrade to 1.0.5 for the time being? 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Just read through your big stutter thread in this forum. Seems to describe the problem exactly. Since you're already on it I'll just have to wait. Will try some of the remedies suggested by other users till then.

---

Hi

I have the exact same issue here. The problem occurs only in flight and is easy for me to reproduce.

Whenever I enter changes into the FMC during flight the simulator stutters massively until the EXEC button is hit. Each stutter is about 3 seconds long, then there's a small window of about 1 second, then the sim freezes up again. It only happens in flight, never on the ground.

Some of my specs:

• 737 Version: 1.0.7 (first time install)
  • X-Plane 10.45
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Hardware: i7 @ 4GHz / 32GB / Nvidia GTX980M 8GB / SSD
  • No anti virus software of any kind. Defender services deactivated.

I don't think it's a heating issue as the plane works just fine as long as no changes await their confirmation. Hit EXEC and all is well.

I'll be happy to provide you with any kind of information that may help you to reproduce the issue. Please, let me know what you need.

cu
Roman

Edited by rgeber

11 hours ago, gerrarditto said:

I've got the same issue here. Updated to 1.07 and using X-Plane 10.45. When i'm entering a waypoint for example, its shuttering until I press on EXEC. 

So far every single instance of this happening could be traced to a "live virus scanner" type software that is interfering with the in-out database accessing that is running while the route is in a MOD state.

I am a bit surprised by rgeber´s report because he specificially states that he has no anti-virus running...But that was the only report of that kind we ever got.

Cheers, Jan

• 2 weeks later...

This happens to me too, and I don't have antivirus software (use malewarebytes only on-demand). Reliably the FMC is sluggish and becomes unusable in flight. Since I am new to x-plane, I don't really understand what a gizmo "soft-crash" is, but the sluggish FMC degenerates to being completely non-functional with FPS dropping to nearly zero. As is almost always the case, arrival runways change when the approach is nearing. Changing the runway causes the fmc to become at first sluggish and then stop do to low frames. The flight (usually online) is completely wasted.

Despite all the glowing reviews of this aircraft, the ixeg 733 is unusable without a functional FMC. The broken VNAV, I can work around, but the inability to change STARS or landing runways is, frankly, inexcusable. This was an expensive aircraft, comparable to the price of the premium pmdg aircraft. Currently the fmc is NOWHERE near the functionality of the one in that aircraft and a huge disappointment. What astonishes me, is that in your beta-testing, these fmc issues MUST have surfaced, and yet you released and charged this large and increasingly unreasonable price for a plane that wasn't completely ready for prime time.

For the present I will await your fixes, but I am not optimistic after how many years? I like the look, the feel and in general the overall xplane experience. But for now, PMDG remains the standard of airliner simulation despite the 10-year old platform and the inferior graphics. I am not in the habit of being the beta tester for a supposedly finished product.

Dear all, dear Jan,

the legs are back for me, too... Tried to fly EGGD EGJJ last weekend during a Vatsim event two times, both times the sim was brought to a hold (< 1 frames) after the controller gave me a "Direct to", right after trying to move the newly entered waypoint from bottom left to the top of the list. No difference between copying an existing point to the scratchpad, or typing in a new one. Bummer. I do not have this problem with other planes like CRJ200, Saab34 KingAir200, etc...

I did recheck that Avast is not messing with the xplane-folder. It does not. It feels like this has been better in previous versions... Currently on 1.07 and 10.45 on a Mac.

Bassy regards
Benjamin

Edited by bigbasspic
updated version

This is exactly my point. You cannot fly this plane on vatsim as any changes to the route bring the frames to nearly zero. Note, its not an xsquakbox issue as I get this offline as well. IXEG really needs to fix this before it becomes, like SSG, a forgotten or deleted addon.

Another example: I was flying on VATSIM in a group flight from Burbank to Vegas and I was asked by the controller to select the KEPEC3 instead of the CLARR2, which I had entered. I then went through five minutes of sim freezing just trying to make a change as simple as adjusting the arrival, which then caused a huge issue with spacing aircraft behind me. This does not happen with other add-ons, my antivirus is set to avoid scanning the X-Plane directory, and it seriously needs to be fixed, particularly with the "you have to select a runway to properly select an arrival" bug (where you suggested selecting a placeholder runway in the meanwhile...that's all well and good, but if you can't reselect a runway without the sim nearly blowing up, it's not really a workaround)

Hi guys,

really sorry to hear that you continue to have that problem. Our biggest obstacle in fixing this is that no one in our development team can reproduce this. It must be something specific to your hardware/software combination/setting and its pretty much impossible to fix something you can´t see.

There has been no change to the way modified routes are handled since version 1.0.

If the simulation is slowing down this much, it hints at a computational problem, in other words too much to do for too little processing power. We have been through a lot of possible solutions to this and I think its especially disturbing that it is coming back for some users that reported it solved.

I really can´t say that there is a definite plan on how we are going to fix this - since we have little idea what is causing it. It only appears for a tiny fraction of our users.

I can only encourage you to seek for a probable cause along the possible solutions already pointed to in this forum. Maybe a second virus scanner that you "forgot" about or installed unawaringly when it piggybacks some freeware installation, or a OS specific setting that may cause this, some background process, a diskspace problem, or fragmentation.

Good luck and I really hope that we can find the cause of this together - although I firmly believe that the solution to this is to be found on your end and can´t be solved without your investigative effort.

Jan

PS: If you can reproduce the problem reliably with just a few steps, I would like to hear them - so I can try it on my end. Maybe there is some highly specific combination of procedure or waypoints that is causing this? Maybe someone is adept enough to make a video of how exactly to reproduce it that we can use to troubleshoot?

Edited by Litjan

Hi Jan,

thanks for your reply. I still think there is something wrong in your code the way the FMC calculates while new entries are typed in – as I understand, it keeps recalculating before EXEC is pressed? Why not recalculate one time after EXEC? The real plane would not change anything in the route before you press this button, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

To find possible similarites I suggest us with this annoying problem put our hardware / software in here, and see if this gives a clue? (We obviously can not ship our hardware to the IXEG team ,-)

I start:

MacBook Pro Mid 2012, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, cooling pad, OSX 10.11.5 on SSD, Xplane 10.45 on second internal HD, IXEG 1.0.7, no plugs except Gismo64, FlyWithLua 2.3.1,  PythonInterface and xsquakbox. No difference if SkyMaxx Pro and RealWeatherConnector are on or not. Avast disabled for the IXEG folder.

Bassy regards
Benjamin

P.S.: Will have a go with Avast turned off completely, if it makes any change, will report... And will try to set up a reproducible case.

Edited by bigbasspic

1 hour ago, bigbasspic said:

Hi Jan,

thanks for your reply. I still think there is something wrong in your code the way the FMC calculates while new entries are typed in – as I understand, it keeps recalculating before EXEC is pressed? Why not recalculate one time after EXEC? The real plane would not change anything in the route before you press this button, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

To find possible similarites I suggest us with this annoying problem put our hardware / software in here, and see if this gives a clue? (We obviously can not ship our hardware to the IXEG team ,-)

I start:

MacBook Pro Mid 2012, 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, cooling pad, OSX 10.11.5 on SSD, Xplane 10.45 on second internal HD, IXEG 1.0.7, no plugs except Gismo64, FlyWithLua 2.3.1,  PythonInterface and xsquakbox. No difference if SkyMaxx Pro and RealWeatherConnector are on or not. Avast disabled for the IXEG folder.

Bassy regards
Benjamin

P.S.: Will have a go with Avast turned off completely, if it makes any change, will report... And will try to set up a reproducible case.

Thanks for the report and I am looking forward to hear what happens when you turn Avast off completely (or at least for the whole X-Plane folder). Just for troubleshooting, could you also remove FlyWithLua, Pythoninterface and XSquawkbox?

The correct procedure is to remove them from the plugins folder before loading X-Plane, just disabling them in the plugin enable/disable box doesnt suffice.

Thanks for helping us narrow this down, Jan

Moin Jan,

right now having a go without FlyWithLua, Pythoninterface and XSquawkbox, disabled via moving them out of the plugs directory. Changed Avast to exclude the whole Xplane-folder. Did EGGD-EGJJ without problems, now enroute EGJJ-EDDH. Tried quite a LOT to make the FMC break – it didn't up to now ,-)

Next step will be dropping XSquawkbox back in – no sense in trying to fly online without this (piece of crap, by the way...). Will continue reporting.

Bassy regards
Benjamin

Marc,

did you mean Benjamin instead of Jan ?-) 

Yes, I did. Added points, deleted points, "direct to" new and existing points, flew headings off-course and then resumed LNAV, no problems, no hickups. VNAV did not make it quite right, but I prefer to fly vspeed anyway :-) 

Bassy regards
Benjamin

Ok I pulled xsquawkbox out and the same issue. To be specific..Departed EDDF for LTBA. Programmed Ratif5g into FMC on the ground, no issues.. Left the STAR unselected for ISL. Took off with no issues hand flew until around 3000 and then AP engaged, LNAV/VNAV. At cruise, 35000, attempted to program FMC for arrival (as would be typical when weather is not completely known). When I hit rwy 5, sim ground to a halt with FPS under 1. I couldn't even select the STAR.

System: AMD FX6300

16 GB

GTX970 

Running Skymaxx pro, RWC, and using FSGRW for weather.

Ok I pulled xsquawkbox out and the same issue. To be specific..Departed EDDF for LTBA. Programmed Ratif5g into FMC on the ground, no issues.. Left the STAR unselected for ISL. Took off with no issues hand flew until around 3000 and then AP engaged, LNAV/VNAV. At cruise, 35000, attempted to program FMC for arrival (as would be typical when weather is not completely known). When I hit rwy 5, sim ground to a halt with FPS under 1. I couldn't even select the STAR.

System: AMD FX6300

16 GB

GTX970 

Running Skymaxx pro, RWC, and using FSGRW for weather.

And you're 100% sure Windows Defender is disabled? I would double check that. You never know with Microsoft at times. :)

Folks, that was it! The thing is, I had previously disabled windows defender but incredibly it turns itself back on! I was able to do the previous route and add the rwy and star inflight with no problems. I apologize for my previous snarky post, I had just become so frustrated but I think we are now at the root of the cause. If you are running Win10, beware that WD will turn on automatically. I am now searching for a way to permanently disable it.

Folks, that was it! The thing is, I had previously disabled windows defender but incredibly it turns itself back on! I was able to do the previous route and add the rwy and star inflight with no problems. I apologize for my previous snarky post, I had just become so frustrated but I think we are now at the root of the cause. If you are running Win10, beware that WD will turn on automatically. I am now searching for a way to permanently disable it.

Glad that worked out!

At the very least you can add an exception to X-Plane and that'll do the trick as well.

1 hour ago, mjw8899 said:

I confirm Windows Defender was the cause. I've added an exclusion for X-Plane folder and now it's working like a charm. Thanks for the heads up, keep up with the good work!

Lucian 

Moin Jan,

as promised more information on hunting the problem down. Good news: Did a lengthy (and boring, no ATC) flight EDDF-LTBA with SkyMaxx and RealWeatherConnector on Vatsim. No hickups though trying hard to break the FMC: "Die Frisur hält". So tracking down the problem to:

• FlyWithLua
  • Pythoninterface, or
  • Avast should exclude complete xplane-folder and not only the IXEG folder

Next step will be bringing FlyWithLua back in, because of Real Terra Haze .-) Will keep you informed.

Bassy regards
Benjamin

• Upvote 1

Hi Benjamin and "vielen Dank für das Troubleshooting"!

I would bet that Avast not being set to exclude the whole X-Plane folder was the problem, so PythonInterface should probably work. We do access files in other folders besides the airplanefolder, so it is only natural that those must be excluded, too.

Viele Grüße, Jan

• Upvote 1