Transition Altitude

transition altitude (TA) is 18000 by default!

do you mean to change it from 18000 to 5000 instead? it is on the PERF PAGE

1. Press MENU

2. Press LSK1 (FMC)

3. Press LSK6 (INDEX)

4. Press LSK3 (PERF)

5. type 5000 on the sractchpad and press RSK6 to replace

This is the step by step, there are several pages on the fmc where you can press INDEX soft key then PERF and get into the PERF page

LSK# (Left Soft Key on the screen 1 to 6)

RSK# ( Right Soft Key on the screen 1 to 6)

hope this helps

• Upvote 1

The Transition Altitude for Australia where I hope you have, or plan to have, many customers is 10000. As I live there, I often fly there. So it is an extra item to program in the FMC.

Could we please have it as a settable default or even better automatically set depending on departure airport in FMC?

Cheers

Ian

11 hours ago, Ian said:

The Transition Altitude for Australia where I hope you have, or plan to have, many customers is 10000. As I live there, I often fly there. So it is an extra item to program in the FMC.

Could we please have it as a settable default or even better automatically set depending on departure airport in FMC?

Cheers

Ian

As far as I know, there is no data for transition altitude in the data set of airports... But we will look into having this store between sessions like some other values do.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Navigraph would be pleased to offer such data (Transition Alt and Transition Level ) if IXEG would like to make use of it.

Cheers

Ian

(Navigraph Development Team Member)

Edited by Ian
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Hi Jan,

Navigraph would be pleased to offer such data (Transition Alt and Transition Level ) if IXEG would like to make use of it.

Cheers

Ian

(Navigraph Development Team Member)

Hi Ian - thanks for the offer! I will talk to Tom and will get back to you. I personally would love to have that, since the real FMS does it, too.

Cheers, Jan

• 2 months later...

we would definitely try and make use of it.  IIRC, I think we may set the transition altitude to 5000 east of -48 longitude.  This basically puts transition altitude for America at 18k and Europe-> east at 5000.   Though I just now see that EGLL is at 18k due to my having the 'demarcation line' at 50d longitude.  (I've changed it to -48 for next update)  Of course if other standards are needed and encoded in the format, that would be a plus.

It would not be difficult to put some kind of lat/lon bounding box around certain areas and set the transition altitude.  We'd just need a listing of all the common transition altitudes in the major area...that would probably keep things "nominal" for 99.9% use cases.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler

That sounds really great! Btw. I think FF is picking up this information from the Airports.txt file (belongs the GNS430 data set either in default or custom data). The first line per airport seems to encode TA and TL in the second and third last field (but as far as I've seen it's not really complete, and for most only TA (or TL, not sure about the order) is filled)*.

* I love nested brackets - kudos to Lisp ;)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Jan,

I note this wasn't included in V 1.1 for X-Plane 10. Navigraph would be pleased to assist with transition Alt and Transition Level data for X-Plane 10 or X-Plane 11.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for bringing this up again - we simply did not have the time to investigate with you on how to incorporate this yet. Our lead FMS developer is still busy with another project, so his contribution for 1.1 had to be limited to the bare necessities in fixing the most blatant bugs. We will certainly get in contact regarding this in the future.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, shabani said:

I've installed the update 1.1, there are nearly no soft crashes now. One thing I noticed is that the push back "nose left" or "nose right" function is not working only "straight". Anyone else experiencing this too?

The pushback issues is a side effect due to the "ninja fix" for XP11.

I personally use http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/19258-ez-pushback/

On 6/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, Andrey Novikov said:

Sorry to ask, but what is the impact of this setting?

The altitudes are referred to as flight levels (FL170) above the transition altitude and as feet (17000) below - for example on the LEGS page.

I don't think it impacts calculations (like VNAV) - I may be wrong though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jan,

Congrats on 1.2 release. It seems stable and excellent with latest X-Plane V 11.02r2.

Would it be possible to have the Default Transition Altitude read from an editable config file? Most of my flights are in Australia where the TA is 10,000 and changing from 5000 is just another item to attend to (and potentially forget) in the FMC.

Cheers

Ian

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Hi Jan,

Congrats on 1.2 release. It seems stable and excellent with latest X-Plane V 11.02r2.

Would it be possible to have the Default Transition Altitude read from an editable config file? Most of my flights are in Australia where the TA is 10,000 and changing from 5000 is just another item to attend to (and potentially forget) in the FMC.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

its on the list for future improvements.

Cheers, Jan