Ground Handling

sirtopper

Hi thanks for the amazing updates 1.0.7 VNAV seems to be running well on my short flight route will see how it performs on a longer flight when I have more time.
My question is regarding ground handling.
During a runway back track taxi I started my turn around with my separate axis, my warthog throttle unit throttle friction control axis for my nose wheel steering. I find this works great. Now as I was performing the tight turn using the outside throttle a little I thought by applying the inside wheel brake a little it would help the turn. But that didn't happen, instead the aircraft just stopped as if both brakes where applied.
Am I correct in thinking this is correct method?
Many thanks
Tony

I think this is modeled correctly. Also note that X-Plane will enter a special "stopped" mode when the ground speed gets very low - this is due to problems with "friction creep" that X-Plane was suffering from. So whenever the ground speed gets very low, X-Plane acts as if the wheels are soldered to the ground, so you don´t weathervane and shimmy off the runway in wind, for example.

That being said, it is not recommended to help with brakes during turns in an airliners. The differential moment is not very strong, and you would need a lot of power to overcome the braking effort. This is something for an emergency, for example if your Captain is incapacitated (the FO does not have a tiller) and you have to get off the runway to where stairs can get attached, But I wouldn´t even try to enter a regular stand or gate with differential braking, only. The power needed is too dangerous for ground equipment.

Jan

Edited by Litjan