Change Autopilot mode while APP mode on

Japo32

Hello,

The other day I was going to make an ILS reverse ciclying.. so I put the APP mode and the plane started to catch the Glideslope correctly. BUT when I wanted to press the Altitude hold to maintain my minimums to start the manouver, then it didn't let me. Also didn't work the HDG mode.. so I deactivated autopilot and flought by hand. 

Trying to switch on autopilot again didn't fix it. Did I do something wrong? because it is strange I cannot change from APP to other autopilot mode....

Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

Bit in The real plane is like that? It's strange it wouldn't let you change mode if you wish. It is more save to conserve altitude, just pressing alt hold function than deactivating autopilot...

Yes, this is exactly like it works in the real plane. I am sorry, I didn´t build that plane :P. I guess it could be argued that it is more safe to continue the approach to the runway (with a single-channel autoland) than to maybe level off at a lower altitude that someone set by accident and fly over the runway and into a mountain on the other side...

Anyway, I am sure the designers thought long and hard before making it that way - if you intend to fly a LOC approach or break off the ILS for a circling, don´t use APP, but instead use VOR/LOC and V/S.

Jan

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, gumenetka said:

There is another way to get out of the mode. You can change the NAV radio freq and make the plane lose the ILS.

Yes, you can also deliberately duck under the glideslope and crash the plane into some forest. That will also get you out of APP mode! :lol:

Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Litjan said:

Yes, you can also deliberately duck under the glideslope and crash the plane into some forest. That will also get you out of APP mode! :lol:

Jan

Oh man, you'd love to hear this. For years I would always afraid of the idea of flaring just before touch down, around 20-30 on the call out. So my solution was to always fly below the G/S. Holy crap, was it scary sometimes. Now with practice I fly on glide slope until I'm over the threshold, not afraid of anything. I usually get a touch down rate of -100 to -150 FPM or better now. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2016 at 3:29 PM, Litjan said:

Jan

Well, a month ago we were on final about 3000 AFE and we were instructed to maintain altitude and turn 30 degrees to the left for a second approach due to some activity on the runway. We had to exit app mode without using the TO/GA. And there was no single forest in sight!