luisao

737-300 IXEG for Linux

42 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

Is there any estimate of when the aircraft will be available for Linux?

Thanks and regards ;)

Luis Carlos

Still no support for Linux? Really? I've just bought a new powerful computer, installed Ubuntu and X-Plane, wanted to fly 737 with maximum detailed graphics and what I see?

Still no support for Linux? Really? I've just bought a new powerful computer, installed Ubuntu and X-Plane, wanted to fly 737 with maximum detailed graphics and what I see?

Linux needs a bigger market!

I've paid $60 for X-Plane 11 and $75 for IXEG 737. Now I will have to spend another $100 to buy Windows just to be able to fly it. So it's not the question of market share but a question of attitude to your customers.

Wait you bought the ixeg knowing it didn't support Linux ???? now you are complaining as if xa is making you spend an additional 100 bucks???

I'm afraid it's you with the crappie attitude........your decision to own x-plane the ixeg and Windows is your decision alone....

All Cameron stated is he wishes the Linux market would grow......it's a matter of his perspective not agreeing with yours.......Nor is he selling the ixeg under the assumption it would work Under Linux.....stop trying to pick a fight....

When the Linux plugin is eventually made available it is unlikely that X-Aviation will choose to support it "officially".

On 24/03/2017 at 5:49 PM, Andrey Novikov said:

I've paid $60 for X-Plane 11 and $75 for IXEG 737. Now I will have to spend another $100 to buy Windows just to be able to fly it. So it's not the question of market share but a question of attitude to your customers.

According to your post history you've been using the IXEG since January with XP10, and an older computer.

As you may be have noticed I didn't write "give me my money back now!" I've just expressed my frustration that IXEG does not support Linux. Yes, I've bought X-Plane mainly because it support Linux as I planed to totally get rid of Windows. I've bought IXEG 737 just few days after X-Plane inself, I was very new to this ecosystem and didn't know that so many addons do not support Linux. Yes, I didn't pay attention to "no linux" message, my fault. Nevertheless many great payware planes support Linux, also OSX is a Unix under the hood, so I still pretend that this is not a question of market share.

Will I stop flying IXEG? No, it's a too nice plane. I will (already done) install Windows on my new PC. Does it mean I am satisfied with IXEG team? Not at all. For many reasons already mentioned in this forum.

20 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

According to your post history you've been using the IXEG since January with XP10, and an older computer.

Yes, I was so eager to fly that I've installed X-Plane on my ten year old laptop and flied with minimum graphics settings and 8-12 FPS. Now I've built a very powerful PC, but it's not only for playing, in fact it's mostly for working, and I work under Linux.

51 minutes ago, Andrey Novikov said:

@Ben Russell as I see you are the developer of Gizmo plugin? What's the problem with Linux support? May be I can help?

Linux represents a 3% increase in market share if we somehow manage to capture 100% of the active X-Plane users that are on Linux.

Realisticly we might get, what, 10% of that 3% ?

Even if we were to capture 100% of that 3% of the market I am still wasting  not investing my time optimally.

We don't have full coverage of the other 97% (Mac+Win) of the potential customers yet.

A small improvement of products targeted at Mac and Windows results in the same or bigger market capture than a large amount of effort directed at Linux.

Despite this... I myself have recently switched back to Linux on the desktop because Apple and MS are lost.

Read more here:

Edited by Ben Russell

On 3/27/2017 at 6:34 AM, Ben Russell said:

Linux represents a 3% increase in market share if we somehow manage to capture 100% of the active X-Plane users that are on Linux.

I've seen this around a fair few places. For me it feels sort of like a chicken and the egg situation. I'm in the boat of wanting to migrate away from windows to linux, however a number of addons that I enjoy do not support as of yet linux and therefore forces me to windows for certain things. I'd just figure there would be a little more linux share if some of the AAA type addons such as the IXEG were supported.

At some point there won't be a market if no one supports it.

Not trying to point fingers or anything its just my observations till this point as a frustrated windows user.

3 minutes ago, EnvyingFoot said:

I've seen this around a fair few places. For me it feels sort of like a chicken and the egg situation. I'm in the boat of wanting to migrate away from windows to linux, however a number of addons that I enjoy do not support as of yet linux and therefore forces me to windows for certain things. I'd just figure there would be a little more linux share if some of the AAA type addons such as the IXEG were supported.

At some point there won't be a market if no one supports it.

Not trying to point fingers or anything its just my observations till this point as a frustrated windows user.

br@alien17:~/Dropbox/Dev/Gizmo/build_linux$ ./show_deps.sh 
  NEEDED               libcurl-nss.so.4
  NEEDED               libpthread.so.0
  NEEDED               libGLU.so.1
  NEEDED               libGL.so.1
  NEEDED               libopenal.so.1
  NEEDED               libpng16.so.16
  NEEDED               libz.so.1
  NEEDED               libstdc++.so.6
  NEEDED               libm.so.6
  NEEDED               libgcc_s.so.1
  NEEDED               libc.so.6
  NEEDED               ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
br@alien17:~/Dropbox/Dev/Gizmo/build_linux$

Those of you who know what the post above means and implies are welcome to help yourself.

X-Aviation maintains its official position of not selling or supporting Linux products.

On 6/4/2017 at 6:31 AM, Ben Russell said:

Those of you who know what the post above means and implies are welcome to help yourself.

X-Aviation maintains its official position of not selling or supporting Linux products.

Thanks Ben!

It is working now in Mint 18.1, XP10.51. I had to install some of the dependency libs (some trial and errors were involved in the process to guess which packages included them) and finally the gizmo kicked in. It took me about 10-15 minutes. It seems to work fine for now, though I haven't done a flight yet.

P.S. Though there is an error in the gizmo Console, s.th. about fmc.gui.lua.ra1 and attempt to index local file, a nil value and as consequence the fmc does not accept any values in the RTE page .... (when attempting to enter airports in the RTE it says Not found in database).

There were also some errors about names of sound files, but they were due to case of the letters which was easily rectified.

Screenshot_20170606_191931.jpg

Screenshot_20170606_193416.jpeg

Edited by mishaikin

Thanks for confirming it runs in the wild. :)

If you have a patch list for the IXEG filenames I can see about getting adjustments made in the main packages.

At some point I'll put together a Gizmo64-Dependencies-Virtual.deb file which contains a text file and a bunch of dependency definitions.

(I think I have /var/usr/games/Gizmo64/readme.txt or something...)

Still not going to offer "official" support but patching things like filenames to smoothe things out a little is doable.

Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

Thanks for confirming it runs in the wild. :)

If you have a patch list for the IXEG filenames I can see about getting adjustments made in the main packages.

At some point I'll put together a Gizmo64-Dependencies-Virtual.deb file which contains a text file and a bunch of dependency definitions.

(I think I have /var/usr/games/Gizmo64/readme.txt or something...)

Still not going to offer "official" support but patching things like filenames to smoothe things out a little is doable.

Enjoy!

So far everything in the plane seems to work, even the IRS alignment. Only the RTE page in FMC can't be programmed, I guess because of the error in the console "Run(timer): fmc_delayed_reset: [string "ixeg.733.fmc.gui.lua.ra1"]:1217: attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)"

Do you think anything can be done on my part about it? I mean could it be missing dependency lib or s.th. like that?

About the sound files - you may see my gizmolog. These are 3 wav files.

There is also another error - gxt.load: ErrorReport: FAILED: ext_info is nil, bad link?, but I am not sure if it affects the usage of the plane at all :)

GizmoLog.txt

Just now, mishaikin said:

So far everything in the plane seems to work, even the IRS alignment. Only the RTE page in FMC can't be programmed, I guess because of the error in the console "Run(timer): fmc_delayed_reset: [string "ixeg.733.fmc.gui.lua.ra1"]:1217: attempt to index local 'file' (a nil value)"

Do you think anything can be done on my part about it? I mean could it be missing dependency lib or s.th. like that?

About the sound files - you may see my gizmolog. These are 3 wav files.

There is also another error - gxt.load: ErrorReport: FAILED: ext_info is nil, bad link?, but I am not sure if it affects the usage of the plane at all :)

GizmoLog.txt

FMC code is probably filename related, I'll dig into it later, if you can rename while you wait for an official patch I'll post.

Sound files: Ok, thanks. I'll take a look..

ErrorReport: Known issue. Planning on pushing a more user friendly Error Trap than simply popping the Console with some red text that you have to find.

Nothing to worry about.

2 minutes ago, Ben Russell said:

FMC code is probably filename related, I'll dig into it later, if you can rename while you wait for an official patch I'll post.

Sound files: Ok, thanks. I'll take a look..

ErrorReport: Known issue. Planning on pushing a more user friendly Error Trap than simply popping the Console with some red text that you have to find.

Nothing to worry about.

Perfect. If the FMC issue is fixed I'll take it soon to the next level - vatsim flight.

I can't believe it. IXEG737 is actually working on linux :) and quite smoothly.

7 hours ago, mishaikin said:

Perfect. If the FMC issue is fixed I'll take it soon to the next level - vatsim flight.

I can't believe it. IXEG737 is actually working on linux :) and quite smoothly.

fmc_data/Navdata/wpNavFIX.txt

I had a hunch it is a file of the navdata but didn't have time before work to experiment :) Thanks! I'll try tonight and report.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

OK, it took me a while to understand what is going on. All files of the navdata are ok in the folder NavData, except wpNavFIX.txt - it is expected to be in Navdata :)  A tiny difference in case sensitive linux.

So, I made a duplicate of the NavData but with the name Navdata and gizmo is happy again. So, if you could make the script to search for NavData instead of Navdata in future updates would be nice. Thanks again for the help!

Screenshot_20170607_183237.jpeg

Screenshot_20170607_183206.jpeg

Edited by mishaikin

Hi Ben,

for now the plane behaves very well in linux. I have however one thing that bothers me (could be again an issue of case sensitivity)  ..... - can't find the TOGA custom command that is mentioned in the manual. So, it is a bit awkward during t/o, when I advance the throttle levers and start changing view in order to be able to click with the mouse the toga switch on the levers :) 

Screenshot_20170608_215555.jpg

8 minutes ago, mishaikin said:

Hi Ben,

for now the plane behaves very well in linux. I have however one thing that bothers me (could be again an issue of case sensitivity)  ..... - can't find the TOGA custom command that is mentioned in the manual. So, it is a bit awkward during t/o, when I advance the throttle levers and start changing view in order to be able to click with the mouse the toga switch on the levers :) 

Hello.

You need to use the default x-plane TOGA_power :)

Edited by Tom Stian