Artificial horizon inits tumbled

After many great flights, this morning, once the FMS went through its initialization time and the artificial horizon appeared, it appeared "tumbled", i.e. rolled about 45 degrees and with a slight nose down pitch. While sitting at the gate. I did not know how to cage it (if even possible), so I aborted.

Is this a built-in failure mode or a failure in FMS init?

21 hours ago, mraviator said:

After many great flights, this morning, once the FMS went through its initialization time and the artificial horizon appeared, it appeared "tumbled", i.e. rolled about 45 degrees and with a slight nose down pitch. While sitting at the gate. I did not know how to cage it (if even possible), so I aborted.

Is this a built-in failure mode or a failure in FMS init?

Hi,

I have never seen this - but you should check your X-Plane "failure" settings, it could be that you have random failures on (which is the default setting)...

The only time you would see this otherwise is if you moved the display selector on the IRS unit to TEST, but that is a momentary hold knob, so it should flip back when released...

Jan

Edited by Litjan

• 1 month later...

I had this happen and the issue for me turned out to be Saitek Panels. I try to turn off the hardware before loading up the IXEG because i love working with the modeled cockpit, but I had forgotten to disable the plugin and my starter was in the off position. Once I switched it to both/all, everything started working. Same with making sure the battery switch and avionics switch are on if the panels are connected.