Transponder and VATSIM

On my vatsim flights with the 737 classic I notice that I am constantly reminded to squawk mode C after pushback. I know that ASD-X is not simulated so vatsim uses mode C as an alternative but I'm confused because my transponder is on mode C? Is this a problem with vatsim or the 737 classic, or am I just doing something wrong:blink:

Edited by kylegavin11

By default the transponder is set to AUTO. This means it will not start squaking (no matter you are mode C and code set) until you are on the takeoff procedure. On real life, you start squaking departing and stop squaking clearing the runway. This is because there may be hundred of aircraft on the ground and all of them squaking will congest the controller's screens giving them a hard time to track critical aircraft airborne on the airport's vicinity departing/landing.

During taxi in / out from the gates, ground controllers can actually see you from their physical elevated location to track you against other aircraft.

On VATSIM / PILOTEDGE virtual world (online networks), the controllers can not see you, so they need you turn on your transponer as soon as you start moving out of the gate to track you against other aircraft.

When you fly online, set your squak code as required, set mode C, BUT also set transponder to ON manually as soon as you leave the gate for it to start squaking and controllers being able to track you on the ground against other aircraft. Upon arrival you also leave it to ON, do not turn it to AUTO neither OFF until you parked at the gate.

Hope this helps

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1

By default the transponder is set to AUTO. This means it will not start squaking (no matter you are mode C and code set) until you are on the takeoff procedure. On real life, you start squaking departing and stop squaking clearing the runway. This is because there may be hundred of aircraft on the ground and all of them squaking will congest the controller's screens giving them a hard time to track critical aircraft airborne on the airport's vicinity departing/landing.

During taxi in / out from the gates, ground controllers can actually see you from their physical elevated location to track you against other aircraft.

On VATSIM / PILOTEDGE virtual world (online networks), the controllers can not see you, so they need you turn on your transponer as soon as you start moving out of the gate to track you against other aircraft.

When you fly online, set your squak code as required, set mode C, BUT also set transponder to ON manually as soon as you leave the gate for it to start squaking and controllers being able to track you on the ground against other aircraft. Upon arrival you also leave it to ON, do not turn it to AUTO neither OFF until you parked at the gate.

Hope this helps

In the US squawking C while taxing is to simulate an ASD-X not because controllers can't see you.

2 minutes ago, sizziano said:

In the US squawking C while taxing is to simulate an ASD-X not because controllers can't see you.

yes, you are correct on this. But on my experience when connected to online networks controllers always ask you to squak while taxing -at any airport- to be able to track you against other birds.

3 hours ago, mmerelles said:

Hope this helps

2 hours ago, sizziano said:

Makes sense now, I forgot that mode C doesn't actually start working until takeoff in the real world, as simulated in the 737 classic. Thank you both for the clarification!

• Upvote 1

yes, you are correct on this. But on my experience when connected to online networks controllers always ask you to squak while taxing -at any airport- to be able to track you against other birds.

Not true, there are many airports especially in Europe where this is not the case. Same in DEN, no squawking mode C on the ground there either.

Yes, in the real world the transponder needs to be on on the ground, but Mode C will not start until airborn. But the ATC radar will receive the Mode S blip, so they can see the airplane (and its identifier) on the ground movement radar screen.

I suspect that this feature is not supported on VATSIM etc., so those networks depend on Mode C to see aircraft on the ground.

Jan

Hi mmerelles.. I am Vatsim controller and can affirm to you that the Vatsim controller can see any traffic connected to the Vatsim network, does not matter if its mode is OFF, STANDBY or CHARLIE, unless if out all his range. Also the controller has a different icon in his radar if the plane is in CHARLIE mode or not.

What happen here is that to try to simulate the real, some airport is required to taxi in CHARLIE mode (i.e. US) and some other taxi on STANDBY mode (i.e Brazil). Just it..

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

when flying to Germany on Vatsim, you should set the transponder to STANDBY on ground, unless otherwise requested by the controllers. Switch it to CHARLY at the holding position of the active runway when ready for departure. When landing, turn it to STANDBY when you departed the runway and crossed the holding position.

Bassy regards
Benjamin