Trim super-sensitive at high speeds?

Chris Tweney

I've been hand-flying the 733 more recently, and it's a treat (when I can manage to get it right). At high speed cruising, near the barber pole (say, 330 kts at FL280), I've noticed the elevator trim gets really sensitive. A tiny trim movement that would change V/S by 10fpm at lower speeds will produce a 300-400fpm change. Makes it much harder to maintain a perfect cruising altitude -- I keep bobbing up and down +/- a couple hundred feet. Is this a RW flight dynamic or a bug? 

I've been hand-flying the 733 more recently, and it's a treat (when I can manage to get it right). At high speed cruising, near the barber pole (say, 330 kts at FL280), I've noticed the elevator trim gets really sensitive. A tiny trim movement that would change V/S by 10fpm at lower speeds will produce a 300-400fpm change. Makes it much harder to maintain a perfect cruising altitude -- I keep bobbing up and down +/- a couple hundred feet. Is this a RW flight dynamic or a bug? 

Try changing the trim manually with the mouse the these fast jets aren't really ment to ve hand flown in cruise and its hard without full sized controls.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sizziano said:

these fast jets aren't really ment to ve hand flown in cruise and its hard without full sized controls.

In the x737 and Ramzzes 777 I felt that way and almost always flew completely automated. But in the IXEG 733 the flight dynamics are so docile and controllable I'm having a blast doing most of it by hand and juggling all the manual piloting with talking to the Pilotedge ATC. 

I can trim level flight at 10000ft/240kt without as much trouble. It's faster speeds that seem to give me more trouble. I can see what you mean about full size controls, though -- those trim wheels are huge and must allow an incredibly fine degree of adjustment. 

3 hours ago, sizziano said:

Try changing the trim manually with the mouse the these fast jets aren't really ment to ve hand flown in cruise and its hard without full sized controls.

This is excellent advice, and the way I do it - even in the real plane. The electric trim is too sensitive at those speeds. Grab the trim wheel with the mouse-hand and move just a bit.

Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 2