Custom Commands

blegen

I need some help with custom commands
Page 16 of the Interface Guide starts a long list of manipulator datarefs.
I have built some hardware and would like to add a rotary encoder for changing the EHSI range.

On page 22 of the Interface Guide I found - ixeg/733/ehsi/ehsi_range_pt_act and ixeg/733/ehsi/ehsi_range_cpt_act 

On another forum post I found - 
     [EHSI Range]
     new_command=EHSI Range
     dataref=ixeg/733/ehsi/ehsi_range_pt_act
     description=EHSI Range
     values = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

The problem is I have no idea where to put it to make it work. I have tried to find a beginners guide to Commands and Datarefs with no luck.
It seems that I should be able to cut and paste but I don't know what files or which program to use.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, the first post in this topic I've explained what I use and how I use it:

You need the plugin for it to work, but follow the instructions and you should be fine. There is a config-file that uses many custom datarefs, but you can use as many as you'd like in your own file. Please note however that if you are using some sort of rotary knob, it would probably be a good idea to look trough the "comment" file. This contains some templates from the Xjoymap devs on how to create rotary commands. 

For myself, it took a couple of days to get the hang of how X-plane works, what datarefs are and how they behave, but read available docs in the link (and in this section) and you should be up and running quickly :D 

Xjoymap plugin has some advanced features that I haven't tried yet, but rotary knobs should not be that difficult to implement. There are some who tinker with the FlyWithLua plugin, that basically lets you manipulate the datarefs using more advanced language. This is something I haven't had the use for yet, but the logic seems pretty straight forward and it might be a place to go if needed. I suggest starting with xjoymap as the tolerance for doing it wrong is quite high.