Nose Wheel Steering

sirtopper

On 9/15/2017 at 7:55 AM, Litjan said:

Errr, no (at least not for the 737 :lol:)!

Jan

That's probably a silly question then, but I'll ask it anyway. If you have to land with a fair amount of crosswind, you have to approach crab-like to keep centered on the runway, but just before touching down you have to align the plane to avoid damaging the wheel gear or at least wearing the tyres.

If the control makes also turn the nose wheel because it's a combination of rudder pedal / tiller, won't that be bad for this front wheel to contact the ground at an angle?

My previous comment came from that line of thought, and separating the control in that case could be advantageous. What am I missing? :) (obviously I'm not proficient yet with the 737, the answer is probably in the FCOM)

Edited by Redglyph

2 hours ago, Redglyph said:

That's probably a silly question then, but I'll ask it anyway. If you have to land with a fair amount of crosswind, you have to approach crab-like to keep centered on the runway, but just before touching down you have to align the plane to avoid damaging the wheel gear or at least wearing the tyres.

If the control makes also turn the nose wheel because it's a combination of rudder pedal / tiller, won't that be bad for this front wheel to contact the ground at an angle?

My previous comment came from that line of thought, and separating the control in that case could be advantageous. What am I missing? :) (obviously I'm not proficient yet with the 737, the answer is probably in the FCOM)

In the real plane, the rudder and the nosewheel are linked - so you can´t separately steer them. You could with the tiller, but you are not allowed to touch that unless going very slow (<30 kts).

The nosewheel deflects a maximum of 7 degrees with the rudder, so there is really no danger of you "flipping" off the runway. This behaviour is mimicked in X-Plane, as with higher groundspeeds the maximum deflection is washed out to 7 degrees, too.

When you encounter crosswind, the rudder deflection and wheel deflection are in the same direction (usually away from the wind to avoid you weathervaning into it), so if you touchdown while "decrabbing" the sense is correct for both (rudder and wheel deflecting to downwind side).

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I just like to reflect a bit on the landing technique in crosswind,.

Fly the aircraft to the runway with neutral rudder, a second or so before landing, apply rudder to reduce the crabbing angle. After touchdown, continue to align with the runway and gently land the nose wheel when you are going straight down the runway. Maintain wings level with aileron.

don't ever touch the tiller before taxi speed! or you will be filing paperwork the rest of the day. :)

Edited by PilotNL
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 27/05/2016 at 2:13 PM, jfjoubert said:

Thanks Jan. Makes sense.

I've subsequently changed my LUA script to only allow a max of 7 degrees nose wheel steering when using the rudders. The tiller will give me 78 degrees.

Works a charm.

Now I'm just looking for that dataref which knows whether I'm holding the tiller... :P

Hello friend, would you mind sharing the LUA code for this feature? I've been trying to do the same thing for days and I can not.

Edited by oswaldocostaneto
bad edit