Nose Wheel Steering

sirtopper

I have just noticed this behaviour in 1.0.4 so not sure if it was happening in older versions.

I have the rudders assigned to an axis and the tiller assigned to a separate axis.

If I use the tiller and apply max deflection I can then increase this further my deflecting the rudder pedals at the same time. If you look at the tiller handle it moves past the marks and also the nose wheel moves past the 90 degree deflection.

Not sure if this the correct behaviour?

Many Thanks for the continued updates.

Tony

Edited by Morten

Hi Tony,

we don´t really support separate inputs for tiller and rudders - because they are pretty rare and X-Plane does not really allow it well. The way this works in the real plane (tiller overriding rudder pedal input) is not emulated, so expect to see some weird behaviour when using both at the same time...

Cheers, Jan

Hi Guys,

I played around with a LUA script and I'm now able to use my tiller and rudder independently. There is however no "override" between the two.

So rudder axis will only move rudder and tiller axis will only move tiller... 

Just out of curiosity... how does it work in the real plane?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Hi Jean,

glad you got that working!

In the real plane, the tiller will override the rudder - so if you hold the tiller, the nosewheel will not turn with the rudder. But if you move the rudder, the tiller moves with the wheels.

The rudders won´t move if you use the tiller, though.

Jan

6 minutes ago, Litjan said:

Hi Jean,

glad you got that working!

In the real plane, the tiller will override the rudder - so if you hold the tiller, the nosewheel will not turn with the rudder. But if you move the rudder, the tiller moves with the wheels.

The rudders won´t move if you use the tiller, though.

Jan

Thanks for the info Jan.

I would then imagine that at some point (speed) the tiller should not respond to rudder input anymore?

Thanks Jan. Makes sense.

I've subsequently changed my LUA script to only allow a max of 7 degrees nose wheel steering when using the rudders. The tiller will give me 78 degrees.

Works a charm.

Now I'm just looking for that dataref which knows whether I'm holding the tiller... :P

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, PilotNL said:

Hi sorry to open such an old topic,

I just purchased the IXEG 737 and I have assigned the rudder yaw to my rudder pedals. either with or without assigning a separate axis to the tiller, the nosewheel won't move.

Check whether you can use the rudder pedals on any of the default planes in X-Plane... if not then your rudder pedals are not properly mapped.

Interesting, I am following this to see if you find out the exact problem... you are not depressurizing the A-Hydraulics for the push, are you? (Some old procedures ask for this, when you don´t have a steering bypass pin). In this case make sure that you switch them on again after pushback...

Jan

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. Hydraulics are on, were not depressurized.

It worked the first time, but not anymore, I see the rudder pedals moving normally but the nosewheel is not effective.

IXEG v1.2, XPlane v11.05r2 (build 110501 64-bit)

I've also noticed the tiller had a tendency to twitch all the time when parked on the ground, my pedal calibration is fine though. The first time, when I could use it to steer, it wasn't twitching during the taxi.

Edited by Redglyph

Are you using any other plugins (pushback, etc.)?

Make sure that the default X-Plane failures are disabled, maybe your nosewheel steering "failed".

Display the raw deflection data for nosewheel steering to help you see whats going on.

It is possible to assign the tiller to an unused joystick axis, this may even happen by default. Check that this is not the case, it is a separate axis from "nosewheel steering".

Let me know how it goes, Jan

11 hours ago, Redglyph said:

Thanks for your replies!

That's strange, I do have a button assigned to wheel steering toggle on/off (probably the default for this joystick?). The first time I ran the IXEG 737 I didn't have to use it, now it seems that I have to toggle it before taxiing. I suppose it's as good a work-around as any.

I would try to unassign that button and then run again. There are thousands of people running the IXEG 737 and they don´t need to toggle the nosegear to taxi with it...so chances are you can get those results, too ;).

Cheers, Jan