737 directory

If they say that we should keep the default folder for this aircraft, then I will follow that.

It may work perfectly if you move it, but it can have something to do with future updates maybe.. Ill stick with what they recommend for sure :)

Edited by Tom Stian
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure how well X-Plane follows symbolic links but one *possible* workaround if you really need it would be to move it wherever you want it and then create symbolic link between the default and the new location. Theoretically it should work OK since the link is on the OS level so from X-Plane point of view it should be just like a regular folder (with its contents loaded from a remote location). Links are pretty common practice in Linux world for example, I use them myself on Windows as well for linking my local and remote filesystems seamlessly. With symbolic links (not sure if windows can even do hard links) you can link between drives as well. But you have to test it if it works and X-Plane follows the link correctly (it does apparently). If it doesn't work just remove the link and move the original folder back.

More info on the topic:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

edit: Just tested it for ya. Seems to work fine even between drives :

mklink /D "F:\STEAM\steamapps\common\X-Plane 10\Aircraft\X-Aviation\IXEG 737 Classic" "E:\IXEG 737 Classic"

Run the "cmd" under administrator to create link. Move the "IXEG 737 Classic" folder somewhere else first so "X-Aviation" folder is empty, then create the link with the mklink /D command.

PS: Use at your own risk :) Better not mess with it unless you understand what you're doing.

Edited by lanmancz
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure how well X-Plane follows symbolic links but one *possible* workaround if you really need it would be to move it wherever you want it and then create symbolic link between the default and the new location. Theoretically it should work OK since the link is on the OS level so from X-Plane point of view it should be just like a regular folder (with its contents loaded from a remote location). Links are pretty common practice in Linux world for example, I use them myself on Windows as well for linking my local and remote filesystems seamlessly. With symbolic links (not sure if windows can even do hard links) you can link between drives as well. But you have to test it if it works and X-Plane follows the link correctly (it does apparently). If it doesn't work just remove the link and move the original folder back.

More info on the topic:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

edit: Just tested it for ya. Seems to work fine even between drives :

mklink /D "F:\STEAM\steamapps\common\X-Plane 10\Aircraft\X-Aviation\IXEG 737 Classic" "E:\IXEG 737 Classic"

Run the "cmd" under administrator to create link. Move the "IXEG 737 Classic" folder somewhere else first so "X-Aviation" folder is empty, then create the link with the mklink /D command.

PS: Use at your own risk [emoji4] Better not mess with it unless you understand what you're doing.

Do not do symbolic linking. Your aircraft scripts will have major problems with this.

I have had all my planes (ixeg737 included) on a separate disk with symbolic links as well as sceneries since the beginning and everything works fine. Never had any problem. 

The idea being to separate the main X-Plane soft which is on a ssd from the big and heavyweight folders that are on a separate hdd. 

No problem ever as far as I know  

Edited by Bobober
  • Upvote 1

I have had all my planes (ixeg737 included) on a separate disk with symbolic links as well as sceneries since the beginning and everything works fine. Never had any problem. 

The idea being to separate the main X-Plane soft which is on a ssd from the big and heavyweight folders that are on a separate hdd. 

No problem ever as far as I know  

That's at your own risk. We have had numerous people not get features working correctly with this setup for aircraft. I do not advise it.