F/D Master lights out of sync?

KirMi

Practicing some takeoffs and landings, I've seen some unexpected behaviour of F/D and FCC Masterlights:

After takeoff  with both F/D's ON (left is Master) and A/T armed (takeoff mode), when engaging A/P left in CMD mode the Masterlight disapears.
Now both F/D Switches are ON, no one seems to be  Master, A/P left is in CMD and F/D bars are full functional.

On last approach segment, I switch left F/D off to remove the F/D bars. Subsequently I disconnect the A/P to continue fully manual, the left FCC becomes master!
Now the left F/D switch position is OFF, right F/D switch is ON and left Masterlight indicates ON?

-Michael

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

One question about this topic. Is it intentional that the F/D Master light distinguishes when you activate the autopilot (A or B makes no difference)? As far as I know the F/D master light is illuminated on the left side if autopilot A is in command and on the right if B is in command. I've never seen a behaviour like this before but perhaps this is an arline option or so.

Julian

17 hours ago, daombre said:

One question about this topic. Is it intentional that the F/D Master light distinguishes when you activate the autopilot (A or B makes no difference)? As far as I know the F/D master light is illuminated on the left side if autopilot A is in command and on the right if B is in command. I've never seen a behaviour like this before but perhaps this is an arline option or so.

Julian

Hi Julian,

I will doublecheck with my cockpit videos, but I am pretty certain that the FD master lights extinguish when an AP is in CMD.

Thanks, Jan

• Upvote 1

Hi Jan,

thanks for your reply. I have 4 videos on youtube that show that the FD master light stays illuminated.
Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eVzGIAU8Gk&t=1683s (watch from 29:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PYo9FmkW6E (watch 1:26:25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u7-FOan5Wk (watch 34:59)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glsd_lf65RA (watch 2:50)

I think the reason for this is that so it is obviusly who is PF and who PM. If you change AP from A to B then the light is illuminated on the FO side. As far as I know it is a common procedure that if the FO is PF he engages AP B and vice versa.

Thank you very much for looking after this!

Julian

Edited by daombre
  • Upvote 1

Moin Jan,

can you please try this too:

Flying single channel ILS, Autopilot A = CMD, APP Mode, both Flight-Directors = ON (engaged before with left F/D = Master).

1. Sequence: Switching F/D left off before disengaging A/P.
2. Sequence: Disengaging A/P before switching left F/D off.

Watching  the Master-Lights.

-Michael

12 hours ago, KirMi said:

Moin Jan,

can you please try this too:

Flying single channel ILS, Autopilot A = CMD, APP Mode, both Flight-Directors = ON (engaged before with left F/D = Master).

1. Sequence: Switching F/D left off before disengaging A/P.
2. Sequence: Disengaging A/P before switching left F/D off.

Watching  the Master-Lights.

-Michael

Hi Michael,

I tried this before and it worked correctly for me. I will try one more time just to make sure...

Cheers, Jan

My results:

737classic_ILS_auto.PNG

Initial Situation, automated ILS Segment (PF = left).

737classic_ILS_manual_1.PNG

Situation after 1. Sequence:  left F/D = off & Master

737classic_ILS_manual_2.PNG

Situation after 2. Sequence: left F/D = off, right, F/D = on & Master (but not flying) & only pitch bar is visible

Thanks in advance
-Michael

Hi Michael,

I tried again both sequences, and the behaviour was absolutely correct on my system.

In scenario 1, the MA light went on on the right FD (as it was the only FCC still on)

In scenario 2, the exact same thing happened...

I suspect there might be a plugin conflict on your system, maybe? Your FMA combination (only GS) is also something that is "not possible" and I have never seen this on my system...

Jan

2 hours ago, KirMi said:

Yes, I' am not using the Disengage Bar. I swear ;-)
I' am able to reproduce it any time, any where.

-Michael

That is very weird. Can you make a short video for me - also showing the frequencies you set up? I am REALLY curious why you see this and I can´t...

Thanks, Michael!

Viele Grüße, Jan

Edited by Litjan

Hi Jan,

at first many thanks to you and the IXEG-Team for caring so much about details.

In the mean time I did some additional testflights with all plugins (except gizmo) disabled, aircraft reloaded and gizmo rebooted.
But no differences. I can even reproduce it from the "right seat" with right F/D.

My hottest guess for now is, that the "master"-state at the time of A/P engagement, will somehow be restored, regardless of the actual F/D (on/off) state.

Video: Yes I will try that, but it may take a couple of days, because I'am running a bit out of time this week and I did that never before. If you were so kind to provide me with some tips, I'll surely be able to shortcut my learning curve:

- What Video-Grabber is the best (or your) choice?
- Do you have a handy parameter set (Compression, Codec...)?
- Which output-format works well?

Beste Grüße
-Michael

Hi Michael,

to save yourself a lot of trouble, just use the built-in video function. You can set up the parameters in X-Plane, then hit CTRL-Space to start and CTRL-Space to stop and will have a .avi video in your output folder. It won´t have any sound, but we won´t need that.

Just make the quality pretty low with a low framerate, then it will be small enough to upload here - or post it on youtube with a "private" setting and share the link here.

Who knows, maybe you will discover the joys of youtube publishing! ;)

Kein Stress, wann immer es am Besten passt, Jan

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KirMi said:

Thanks to Jan and Tom,

I will try which works better for me. More in a few days.

YouTube publishing: 53 year old man trying skateboard tricks from his teenage days? :D

-Michael

Yeah, I will look for those by searching the keyword "epic fail" :lol:!

Jan

• Upvote 1

On 8.6.2016 at 11:24 AM, KirMi said:

Thanks to Jan and Tom,

I will try which works better for me. More in a few days.

YouTube publishing: 53 year old man trying skateboard tricks from his teenage days? :D

-Michael

Hi Michael!

Finally managed to get what you are reporting, no more need for a video!

I guess you have to do a full flight (coming off of another mode), so thats a point to start with... Thanks for being persistent, we will get this one!!

Danke, Jan

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...