X Plane crash on exit with SMP 3.1.2

kap1121

Hello, 

SMP is causing X Plane to not exit correctly. I have narrowed it down to SMP in particular. With SMP uninstalled, all works as it should on exit. When exiting XPL with SMP installed, the sim hangs and I have to "End Now" to completely exit. I've tried disabling custom scenery; I've tried uninstalling all other plugins; it ONLY happens with SMP installed. 

Thanks

This one is with everything disabled, including Custom Scenery. The only thing in the Plugin folder is SMP. Still getting the same issue. I don't know why there's a license check fail....It could be because I pulled out all the other plugins and only left "Silver Lining".

Log.txt

Edited by kap1121

16 hours ago, kap1121 said:

This one is with everything disabled, including Custom Scenery. The only thing in the Plugin folder is SMP. Still getting the same issue. I don't know why there's a license check fail....It could be because I pulled out all the other plugins and only left "Silver Lining".

Log.txt

Yes, I forgot to mention you also need the Gizmo plugin in order for SMP to work.

There's nothing in either of those logs that suggest any sort of problem we can solve, though. Try removing all plugins except SMP and Gizmo, and also any third-party aircraft. Does it still happen?

First I've heard of this happening to anyone. Are you overclocking anything? If so try disabling that. Also a fresh install of X-Plane from disks or Steam may be in order.

One other thought is to install the Visual Studio 2010 x64 runtimes; something could be wrong with that on your system. You can get it at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13523

Hello,

I tried reinstaling the C++ stuff, but still the same problem. My overclock has been stable for 7+ months. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to reinstall XPL for one plugin. The problem started happening around 3.1.2. I also bought RWC around that time, but uninstalled it to rule it out. It's definately SMP, which is a shame because I like it a lot. Hopefully in the next update it will be resolved. I would try to install 3.1 clean and 3.1.1 clean again to see if it is this past update in particular, but it's all been a blur of updates. 

Edited by kap1121

Nothing's going to be resolved in a future version of SMP; you're the only person who has reported this problem to my knowledge, so there's nothing we can even investigate on our end. We have thousands of customers using 3.1.2 without any sort of crash on shutdown. Whatever is going on seems unique to your system.

You'll have to try my suggestions if you want to resolve this.

4 minutes ago, kap1121 said:

LOL....I've had no problems with other games, including P3D. My overclock, and system is stable. With this particular plugin, XPL will not close properly.

You're the only one reporting the problem.

That makes the problem your hardware.

Fun game huh?

• Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

You're the only one reporting the problem.

That makes the problem your hardware.

Fun game huh?

As a programmer myself, I have to take exception to the logic of this. There are MANY reasons there could still be a problem with the software in question. It could be an unusual condition the software does not cater for or other people might have the problem, but might not have reported it. Endless reasons. 

Many times I have have written software that fails on only ONE customer's machine. And the fault has been my software (actually, usually a library I am using). It is so common in my programming environment we take individual/unique bug reports like this very seriously. For example, customers running Server 2008 systems can be a real problem.

Then again, it could be something specific to the hardware/computer in question, but it is not as simple as you seem to make it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kneighbour said:

As a programmer myself, I have to take exception to the logic of this. There are MANY reasons there could still be a problem with the software in question. It could be an unusual condition the software does not cater for or other people might have the problem, but might not have reported it. Endless reasons. 

Many times I have have written software that fails on only ONE customer's machine. And the fault has been my software (actually, usually a library I am using). It is so common in my programming environment we take individual/unique bug reports like this very seriously. For example, customers running Server 2008 systems can be a real problem.

Then again, it could be something specific to the hardware/computer in question, but it is not as simple as you seem to make it.

Yes, it was obviously a gross simplification.

If you look at error % rates there is only one fix. The user doesn't want to participate.

• Downvote 2

Hiya's,

X-Plane 10 i've found can find an unstable oc fast, and i stress Fast !

Here's an example, my 5820k at 4.8 is fine and dandy passing aida64 and cinebench for stability tests

Enter the sim, only seconds or minutes until gameover

Another thing, i can force my vram to the max, this gives the same instant crash scenario as an unstable oc

For a few attempts i was back checking for an unstable oc, then i decided to go to my heaviest fps sapping areas, lo n behold, with my 4gb r9 290x , it was around 3.8gb, asap i went external view which generally adds more vram pressure, game crashed, i kept on with settings adjustments to prove it was vram (or lake thereof)

From my noob x-plane 10 learning so far, addons/plugins = compat problems, lack of vram or for want of better wording, running out of vram gives the same effect as an unstable oc

Obviously with you knowing about oc'ing, it might seem weird that other games/sims work fine n dandy but this one doesn't, i thought that for a very short while, then logic dictated having to define oc or vram issue/s

I now know when i want to check another oc bios setting, trying this sim sure as hell beats wasting hours watching aida64 lmao :P

Food for thought

Tony

ps: best add to make the above a bit clearer, i was at first chasing an unstable oc (as it turned out to be), i had to add a gnatts danglies voltage-wise to the vcore, that's all that was needed to stop my x-plane crashing, then as i really pushed me old r9 290x to the hilt over time, it started to crash, as said, for a very short while i started chasing non existant oc instabilities, then found my rather nicely clocked gpu wasn't liking all the eye-candy i wanted lol, especially almost out of vram with me swapping liveries in external view modes :)

Tony

Edited by Defiance_co
added text

Ok, I'm not new at this. Normally just a silent browser. The problem is not my hardware, I can promise you that. I have never gotten a BSOD, and my configuration is solid as a rock. The one thing I DO have is an SLI setup, but I have it disabled. This 3.1.2 build is the one giving me problems. The plugin itself runs fine when using it in game, the problem comes up when exiting XPL. It's as simple as that. I have had absolutely no problem with any other plugins in XPL, or any other game for that matter. THIS plugin is giving issues. I can not understand how my hardware in particular is causing this. I suspect that it may have something to do with having 2 GPU's, if it is hardware related at all. But, i'm sure that there are many others that have their system Overclocked with a 2 GPU setup. I can't be alone in that regard. 

As far as my system is concerned, I have a:

i7-4790k @ 4.8 max temp is 70*
GTX 980 Ti x2 (one disabled)
24 GB RAM

Yeah, I have dual GPUs also (GTX980Ti and GTX560) - no problem. I also cannot imagine that hardware is the issue. In most cases it is conflicting software as Sundog suggests. 

I have also found that the X-Plane/Output/Preferences folder can cause the weirdest problems. I have backed up this folder so that I can go back to a known good situation. I think you can delete the files in the folder and then it will recreate everything. Of course, you will then have to reassign all of your hardware and keyboard tweaks again (which is a real pain). But it is a suggestion that has worked for me in the past.

I also have a basic X-plane demo installation where practically nothing is installed. I use that as my test bed. The only plugin I have installed in that is X-Camera (as I could not fly XP without it). All of my hardware is setup - but apart from that one plugin, very basic. No scenery even. You could try doing that.

Let me restate my original advice:

On 5/15/2016 at 7:28 AM, sundog said:

Try removing all plugins except SMP and Gizmo, and also any third-party aircraft. Does it still happen?

Are you overclocking anything? If so try disabling that. Also a fresh install of X-Plane from disks or Steam may be in order.

There were no changes between 3.1 and 3.1.2 that change behavior at shutdown.