The Pulse of x-plane - FPS oscillation issue

antti

Hey all,

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/859768/pulseofxplane.mov

Anyone else experiencing some stubborn framerate oscillation in 9.22 rc1 (or any other version). I talked to Austin about it and he said that if I hit 19fps in the sim the oscillating phenomena ensues. Ben Supnik also chimed in and I sent him some debug info so maybe something good will come out of this.

However I was interested in hearing your experiences with this and what possible remedies you'd suggest.

Madjason posted about optimizers and for me DBoost made the biggest difference in framerates. I'd estimate a 5-15 fps increase. But.. still, the darn sim dips below that magic 19 fps barrier in certain situations like when you happen to pan your view towards a direction with some 3d objects that take just a split moment to load but it seems that it's enough to spill the milk and it's off to restart x-plane for another try at a smooth ride.

I should also mention that I'm running on a brand new top of the line macbook pro with 4 gigs of ram and half a gig of vram. I've even tried to decrease the rendering specs, but oddly that actually seems to deteriorate performance.

I clipped that tiny video off the bottom screen edge to demonstrate what I'm talking about. Concentrate on a corner or an edge to best notice the effect. When you're looking at things off a 24" screen and things get j-j-j-jerky, it is a little distracting. :(

Best wishes,

Antti

I noticed the "stuttering" only in 9.3. I run a similar system, except with 2gigs ram and and 256mb vram. In 9.22 the fps are smooth, and X-Plane runs fine, but in 9.3, the fps are terrible. I think this is a shader optimization issue. Try updating to 9.22 and see if it still happens. The stuttering is supposed to go away soon after the 9.3 final release when the shaders are completely optimized.

Hey all,

Anyone else experiencing some stubborn framerate oscillation in 9.22 rc1 (or any other version). I talked to Austin about it and he said that if I hit 19fps in the sim the oscillating phenomena ensues. Ben Supnik also chimed in and I sent him some debug info so maybe something good will come out of this.

However I was interested in hearing your experiences with this and what possible remedies you'd suggest.

Madjason posted about optimizers and for me DBoost made the biggest difference in framerates. I'd estimate a 5-15 fps increase. But.. still, the darn sim dips below that magic 19 fps barrier in certain situations like when you happen to pan your view towards a direction with some 3d objects that take just a split moment to load but it seems that it's enough to spill the milk and it's off to restart x-plane for another try at a smooth ride.

I should also mention that I'm running on a brand new top of the line macbook pro with 4 gigs of ram and half a gig of vram. I've even tried to decrease the rendering specs, but oddly that actually seems to deteriorate performance.

I clipped that tiny video off the bottom screen edge to demonstrate what I'm talking about. Concentrate on a corner or an edge to best notice the effect. When you're looking at things off a 24" screen and things get j-j-j-jerky, it is a little distracting. :(

Best wishes,

Antti

Hey all,

Best wishes,

Antti

I think your problems are stemming from VRAM, what card you have in the Macbook?

I noticed the "stuttering" only in 9.3. I run a similar system, except with 2gigs ram and and 256mb vram. In 9.22 the fps are smooth, and X-Plane runs fine, but in 9.3, the fps are terrible.

Same for me, got 40fps with insane objects at high distence, but only 30 with default/default with 9.3 plus those loading lags or what ever they are. Absolutly terrible performance, no matter what plane.

I hope they will fix this, otherwise i will stay with 9.22rc1.

I have had the same problem since 9.22 as well. After some thought, i came to the conclusion it had to do with my apple-botched ATI card. Either way, even when it says Im only sucking 86MB of VRAM, its SLOOOOW. I don't even mess with the sim for this reason...good for ya'll because I spend all my time working on projects...bad for me because I want to fly. Anyone with a windoz system have any insight, as windoz through bootcamp seems to be FAR faster.

-Nick