Quick POS INIT?

mraviator

My understanding is that IXEG wanted to accurately simulate all systems. Since there is no quick alignment in the real world it doesn't exist in the sim. As was already said using the turn around state would work.

What I do is start alignment as soon as I've got ground power or APU online and then it's usually done around the same time I'm finished prepping for the flight.

While on the real aircraft there is no way to skip the time it takes for the IRS system to align, it has to align, on a simulator you may want to skip this because it doesn't teach you anything special :D so ixeg is already considering including a feature on their menu wether you can to have realistic time or immediate alignment.

We will have to wait a bit for this feature come in. But it is coming.

7 minutes ago, mmerelles said:

on a simulator you may want to skip this because it doesn't teach you anything special :D 

I agree to disagree....

It does teach us to not forget to turn on IRS first so you don't have to wait for it... 

And if you forgot anyway, it will teach you patience... ;-)

in French we have a saying "quand on n'a pas de tête, on a des jambes" (When you have no head, you have legs),

meaning literally : if you forgot something you'll have to walk back to fetch it.

Meaning : plan in advance, you won't have to go back. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tchou said:

I agree to disagree....

It does teach us to not forget to turn on IRS first so you don't have to wait for it... 

And if you forgot anyway, it will teach you patience... ;-)

in French we have a saying "quand on n'a pas de tête, on a des jambes" (When you have no head, you have legs),

meaning literally : if you forgot something you'll have to walk back to fetch it.

Meaning : plan in advance, you won't have to go back. 

No one is saying not to align to the IRS by having to turn those knobs when appropiate, you must align the IRS. The question is if it takes 10 seconds or 10 minutes. All levelD simulators have an option to skip this time, this is for a good reason!

I call your post arguing for arguing. Non sense. You should understand some people may like to wait those 10 minutes other may not. Even the same person may want to simulate align times for a flight, and immediate alignment for another flight.

This is a pretty fair request having an option to skip real time to align.

I wasn't really arguing anyway, just joking a little bit.

I don't mind for an option to have the IRS aligned instantly, 

I do think that if you start cold&dark, you still have to setup everything, so when you get to the "check your plan in the CDU part" the IRS is Aligned. 

again I'm not arguing with you, just exposing my humble opinion. 

I think for now the turn around option is not so bad if you're in a rush.

This option is there already. It is the turn around state setup.

Silly first world problems and wishes ;)

Really.....

No offense intended, but sometimes it looks like no one is actually thinking through what they are asking, before asking.

You can set up and do all procedures from cold and dark and then still have to wait a long time for the irs to align? Hats off then.

Preparing the nav freqs/courses alt restrictions etc etc of the sid, review expected taxi route, fueling, route programming etc takes me at minimum a little over 15 minutes.

8 minutes ago, sparkie66 said:

This option is there already. It is the turn around state setup.

Silly first world problems and wishes ;)

Really.....

No offense intended, but sometimes it looks like no one is actually thinking through what they are asking, before asking.

You can set up and do all procedures from cold and dark and then still have to wait a long time for the irs to align? Hats off then.

Preparing the nav freqs/courses alt restrictions etc etc of the sid, review expected taxi route, fueling, route programming etc takes me at minimum a little over 15 minutes.

No there is not, turn around doesn't allow for cold and dark. Preparing the aircraft from cold & dark for a short flight you already know takes less than 3 minutes being ready to pushback. I.E. when you fly PE you already know all routes, procedures, what to set, etc.

I do understand the people does not see any value on this. i just can tell you, all advanced simulations have this option available, this is for a good reason. You do not require it? that is just fine.

I see the merit of it, albeit in specific situations like taxi out under 15 minutes from getting in the cockpit. I'm just slightly concerned that these kind of wishes (this instant align thingy beeing the lesser concerning btw) will compromise the realism in the end.

Pretty soon ppl start going: "but you put in the instant align option when the other guy asked, so why won't you put in this and that, because i only have 5 minutes to sim each day/ other compelling reason."

I guess I'll just have to hope the team stays true to the concept they started.

1 minute ago, sparkie66 said:

I see the merit of it, albeit in specific situations like taxi out under 15 minutes from getting in the cockpit. I'm just slightly concerned that these kind of wishes (this instant align thingy beeing the lesser concerning btw) will compromise the realism in the end.

Pretty soon ppl start going: "but you put in the instant align option when the other guy asked, so why won't you put in this and that, because i only have 5 minutes to sim each day/ other compelling reason."

I am quite sure the developers will judge properly the effort to implement this and the priority on their developments plans.

But forcing other people to behave as per your personal preferences, or denying this feature is available on simulations from 50 USD up to simulators that cost +2M USD is a wrong approach to me. There are many scenarios where you want start cold & dark but to skip alignment time.

Best of luck on your PPL, flying is amazing.

1 hour ago, sparkie66 said:

I'm pretty sure they will, this kind of option won't be hard coded, you'll have the choice like others do... (Like it is already with fuelling time : realistic or instantaneous).

It's the best way to satisfy people like me and you and people more in a hurry... 

I'm surprised my simple question caused so much discussion...

I understand the desire to preserve realism as much as the need to quickly align. By the time engines are running and FMS is programmed, I typically wait another 1-2 minutes. Good time to fetch a beer. :-)

6 hours ago, mraviator said:

I'm surprised my simple question caused so much discussion...

I understand the desire to preserve realism as much as the need to quickly align. By the time engines are running and FMS is programmed, I typically wait another 1-2 minutes. Good time to fetch a beer. :-)

Get me one, too, will ya? ;)

Implementing a "quick align" function is on our list - it will probably not be on the PREFERENCES list, because I think this should be something like "recharging battery". I don´t want to teach users bad habits, i.e. waiting with the align process until they are ready to taxi. If you "mess up" you have to admit and go to that special "failure" menu to fix it :P. But making someone wait for 13 minutes because of a simple (newbie) omission is a bit harsh, I agree.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi @Litjan and @tkyler!

Wonderful to see that you're still doing work on this fine flying machine. I still come back to it every so often, and boy-oh-boy does it still tick all the important "this feels fantastic" flight-model boxes. Thanks!

But flattery, although nice, almost always come at a price, so here's my humble request: Quick-alignment.

"Why", you say? "We're here to simulate, not to entertain!" :P 

Yes, and I totally agree, but the temptation of going for the "ready to fly" option to skip time, also skips one important part of the cockpit-prep: "The awakening of the beast itself". Listening to all the sounds, seeing the monitors coming alive, flicking all switches you wanted to flick when walking by the open cockpit door as a child: these are important things! :)  But as we grow older, time gets more important.

Joking aside, please, pretty please with a cherry on top, give us an option to reduce the IRS alignment time.

Edited by Torbjoern
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Torbjoern said:

Joking aside, please, pretty please with a cherry on top, give us an option to reduce the IRS alignment time.

I agree!

I have a few "enhancements" planned out already, your "quick alignment" option is actually #147 (added in June).

Other things:

• Add option to synchronize CPT+FO´s altimeter setting, speed bugs, minimum carot
  • Add "wheel chocks" option so plane won´t start rolling if brake pressure depleted (as for hyd brake cylinder precharge check).
  • Make "standby altimeter" circuit breaker operable, so one can stop the vibrator from making the "woodpecker" sound...

Cheers, Jan

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Is there a possibility in real aircraft to operate completely without GPS? I.e. align IRS with manual entered coordinates
This is to simulate GPS outage.

By the way: do you have any plans to implement "NAV STATUS" and "NAV OPTIONS" CDU pages?

Kind regards,
Sergei

Hello Sergei,

yes, of course you can enter the coordinated to align the IRS to manually on the POS INIT page.

The first few years I flew on the 737s we did not have GPS at all. The IRS would update on DMEs and VORs while in flight.

We will look into modeling further "secondary" CDU pages as well after getting the more important ones still missing done.

Cheers, Jan