Maxime

Problems with activation

I am having problems activating the Mu-2 and Faco.

Each time i try to generate a key on the mu-2, it quits x-plane, and each time i try to activate the falco it quits x-plane also.

Can i get help?

Best,

Maxime

maxime.  Cameron is traveling cross-country at the moment and when he gets settled in, we'll take a look at it and report back asap!

For whatever reason, this morning, my Falco required a re-activation. After stumbling around for the password, I got the engine turning again. Just thought, I'd mention it.

LA

Interesting!  I hadn't flown my MU-2 for a while and when I loaded it up the day before yesterday, I had to regenerate the activation code.  I dug up the old e-mail with the code and entered it and it flew good as new.  But then I quit X-Plane and when I restarted and loaded the MU-2, it asked for the activation code again.  This happened three times in a row.  I haven't tried it with my Falco, but I've definitely had some issues with the MU-2.

I am having problems activating the Mu-2 and Faco.

Each time i try to generate a key on the mu-2, it quits x-plane, and each time i try to activate the falco it quits x-plane also.

Can i get help?

Best,

Maxime

Maxime,

You have now brought this up in two different threads, support to Austin, and two times to us at X-Aviation. You have been told various tasks to do to troubleshoot, and you have been told not only by myself but also BY Austin that it is advised you research and dig a little more troubleshooting with your computer, including re-installs of X-Plane and possibly the OS should this continue. Please stop redundantly posting here and asking for help if you're not willing to take the necessary actions.

For whatever reason, this morning, my Falco required a re-activation. After stumbling around for the password, I got the engine turning again. Just thought, I'd mention it.

LA

This is a routine six month check-up. Nothing out of the ordinary. Basically it means you were an early adopter, and we appreciate it. ;)

Interesting!  I hadn't flown my MU-2 for a while and when I loaded it up the day before yesterday, I had to regenerate the activation code.  I dug up the old e-mail with the code and entered it and it flew good as new.  But then I quit X-Plane and when I restarted and loaded the MU-2, it asked for the activation code again.  This happened three times in a row.  I haven't tried it with my Falco, but I've definitely had some issues with the MU-2.

Sounds like either:

A) You are running XP on an external drive. Could even be furthered with a funky path issue.

B) You have X-Plane installed in a directory with little write privileges.

C) You have taken the MU-2 plug-in out of the aircraft folder and moved it to the X-Plane resources/plugins folder

Do any of the above apply?

Cameron,

I have X-Plane installed on an external drive.  I typically fly on a MacBook Pro, but sometimes fly on my wife's Mac Pro tower.  The MU-2 plugin is properly placed where it should be inside the plugin folder inside the MU-2 folder.  The plugin is not in the resources plugin folder.  Not sure how funky the path is, but I don't think that's the problem.  I don't think it's a directory issue, either.

Will I have this issue as long as I am using an external drive?

Thanks for the reply!  

Hi, there,

It is known that external HD's sometimes cause issues with write and path issues for some plug-ins. I have documented this three times now with the MU-2.

I don't know of an immediate fix to this other than to say that parting from the external is the solution.

Hi, there,

It is known that external HD's sometimes cause issues with write and path issues for some plug-ins. I have documented this three times now with the MU-2.

I don't know of an immediate fix to this other than to say that parting from the external is the solution.

Cameron,

Or the other solution would be to memorize the activation code.  Thanks for the reply, but I won't be parting from my external any time soon.  I need all the disc space I can spare on my internal for Photoshop and image work.  I use externals all the time for my work and it's only natural to use one for X-Plane.  This allows me to fly on my wife's Mac Pro tower when she needs the MacBook Pro, or vice versa.  I still haven't checked my Falco to see if I have the same issue.  I don't fly the Falco much at all primarily because of the issues caused by the Gizmo plugin when it was first released.  I will try the Falco tonight and see what happens and let you know.

Thanks again!

Or the other solution would be to memorize the activation code.  Thanks for the reply, but I won't be parting from my external any time soon.

That's certainly your choice, but you know the solution now, which is my job to inform you of. Whether you use it or not is not up to me. :)

I don't fly the Falco much at all primarily because of the issues caused by the Gizmo plugin when it was first released.  I will try the Falco tonight and see what happens and let you know.

I think it's only fair that we mention the issue you speak of was fixed within HOURS on the same day of initial release and given out to all customers immediately. Please be sure you are also using that updated version.

Yes, I know the Gizmo issue with the Falco was fixed very quickly and I didn't mean to cast a negative light on the Falco at all.  Thanks again for your responsiveness.  It's one of the reasons I have bought almost all of you aircraft!

Just in case you missed my post in the rant section, I wanted everyone to know that, thanks to Cameron, my activation problems have been solved!  I have X-Plane installed on an external drive and there was some kind of path issue that Cameron quickly and patiently helped me fix.  I should have asked for help long ago instead of blaming the problem on the Gizmo plugin.  Now that the issue has been resolved, my hangar is a much happier place!  Cameron and X-Aviation ROCK!  Thank you again for some of the best aircraft...and support...offered to X-Plane!

Sure would nice if could fly the MU-2 or Falco after buying them so long ago. I enter the activation codes with no

luck. They have not moved since the last time they were flown and its getting old fast to have activate then every

time I want to fly them. They worked before, but why don`t they now. Time limit ? whats the deal.  Yes I have Gizmo

installed, no I have not removed the plugin from the ACF folder.  

Ben Russel helped me few months ago activating the Falco. Why would that need to be done over again?  Time limit once again ?

Its just no fun to fly these planes when you must jump through so many hoops to get them airborne.

Here is the email he sent.

Hi Jim.

I saw your attempt to register the Falco earlier.

Sorry the DRM server messes up occasionally.

I've manually granted you a license slot, you should be able to activate now.

Thanks for your patience and support! We really appreciate it!

Ben R. (Indi-)

Jim,

The Gizmo issue you experienced back in the day is pretty irrelevant anymore. We worked around this issue with a three license system.

For the MU-2:

If I'm not mistaken you got a new computer back in March or April. I don't recall you ever writing in for tech support regarding a new license. Remember, the activations are computer specific, and given you got a new one a few months back, I believe this is the source of your problem.

To rectify this situation, you can file a ticket for support and a new license here: http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/contact_us.php

For the Falco:

Unlike the MU-2 legacy activation system, the Falco utilizes Gizmo. Over time Gizmo has become more forgiving in how it manages licenses and activations, going from one activation to three before contact needed. If you are on the SAME computer and have had to activate three different times, then you have one of the following possibilities (or similar) going on:

1. You have re-installed your OS. This includes upgrades. If your OS is not setup with the same user values as your old, it can cause issues.

2. You are switching between wifi or ethernet, or introducing a new USB device such as bluetooth which alters your MAC address.

3. You have X-Plane located on an external HD and aren't plugging it into the same USB slot (I don't believe this applies to you).

Also, keep in mind that the Gizmo systems do a six month check-up on licenses. This is NOT a new activation, but a renewal of a current one, and just checks the status of your license. In this case you'll see the activation box appear, enter your details, and then Gizmo will report back to you that it has "updated" the license.

I know it's easy to bash things when they don't work right, Jim, but I can also assure you that Gizmo and the legacy system have been put to the test in almost every scenario, and as someone who provides tech support for the thousands that utilize the system, I know for a fact that it works as advertised. This always comes down to something user specific, and in the grand scheme of things, is a rare issue at best.

Go ahead and re-activate your Falco. It should work just fine now.

Best,

Cam

My new computer was purchased back in Nov 09. I have have flown both the MU-2 and Falco not long after getting

X-Plane installed on my new computer. I have 4 internal hard drives and X-Plane has always been on my G drive from

my old Computer. They are all SATA2 drives and work great.

Funny it worked a couple months ago and did not ask to activate.

Only OS change was 2 days after buying my XPS 730X was upgrading from Vista Pro to Win7.

Have always had it hooked up to my Cat5 cable router.

Support request sent on MU-2

My new computer was purchased back in Nov 09.

According to this it was in March, 2010: http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php?topic=636.msg5088#msg5088

Having said that, there has been no recordings of MU-2 license requests from you since February of 2009.

Support request sent on MU-2

Thanks for doing so.

You are right, been so overwhelmed with work I have little time to fly X-Plane, so when I do and this happens, I hope you can understand

my frustration and most of time, I just never went back to it, just flew something else.

You are right, been so overwhelmed with work I have little time to fly X-Plane, so when I do and this happens, I hope you can understand

my frustration and most of time, I just never went back to it, just flew something else.

Understandable, and we certainly don't wish more frustration upon our customers, which is one of the reasons we make it a point to try and resolve issues like this (and all others) as quickly as possible.