cheesy route drawing at KPSP RNAV Y 13R

FloB

RNAV (RNP) Y RWY 13R at KPSP

Went left - right, left - right, left - right instead of a long smooth left turn. Almost got sick from it :wacko:.

This aside I had a dozen of wonderful flights without any issues (well, at least no issues that arose from the plane. Me - that's another story)

B733_9.png

Best

Flo

The RNP approaches at PSP require an FMS capable of plotting and following curved RF (radius-to-fix) legs. The FMS in the 737-300 was designed and certified long before RNP RF procedures were implemented.

Unless it had extensive avionics upgrades, a real 737-300 would not legally be able to fly any of the RNP approach procedures at PSP, and would likely show similar distortion on the NAV display if it did try to follow the approach course.

The only instrument approach legally available to a typical 737-300 at Palm Springs would be the VOR/GPS-B

• Upvote 1

IXEG 737 classic wins again! Thank you JRBarrett.

Will try hand flying. I'm certified for that [emoji4]

Flo

Hand flying is always approved! (Especially at PSP, which often has very clear skies).

There may well be some 733s which have been updated for RNP approach capability - especially those which have been converted for use as business jets.

Many 737-600, 700, 800 and 900 NG aircraft are RNP capable. I believe all of those manufactured in the last 5 or 6 years are - but the upgrade path to add RNP to the older Classics is probably too expensive for most operators.

2 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

Hand flying is always approved! (Especially at PSP, which often has very clear skies).

There may well be some 733s which have been updated for RNP approach capability - especially those which have been converted for use as business jets.

Many 737-600, 700, 800 and 900 NG aircraft are RNP capable. I believe all of those manufactured in the last 5 or 6 years are - but the upgrade path to add RNP to the older Classics is probably too expensive for most operators.

Southwest updated their -300SPs to support RNP, to my knowledge. Not sure about other operators.

Southwest updated their -300SPs to support RNP, to my knowledge. Not sure about other operators.

Probably depends on the operator's route structure. If they serve a lot of airports with RNP approaches, it would be worth the cost to upgrade. More and more RNP approaches are coming online every month worldwide.