6 Screenshots

About This File

Welcome to scenic Concrete, Washington and 3W5 Mears Field Airport. Formerly known as Concrete Municipal, Mears Field is a quiet, unassuming little airport nestled in the gorgeous Cascade Mountains. Mears Field is a completely unlit general aviation airport with a 2,609 x 60 ft runway and a 40 x 40 ft helipad. As I often like to do, I have provided a couple of hangar starts so you may make Concrete your home field if you wish. It would certainly be a lovely spot to hangar an airplane!

When I initially started this project I really wanted to be careful to retain the small town character of this airport. I find it difficult to do this without making that runway look like the real one. I need to be honest here and say that the rubber skid marks on the default runways in XPlane sometimes annoy me, especially on a small GA field like this one. I mean, this is a tiny little airport, not LAX! So...through some experimentation and a little finesse in WED, combined with the assistance of a very talented fellow scenery designer (Aerospace), I was able to draw a custom runway with accurate numbers and lines, and get it pretty darn close to what the real one looks like. I was so happy with the results that I view the runway as the centerpiece to this little country airport. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Also...this is my very first airport built completely without OpenSceneryX resources. Most of the objects are either default or were created by our own very talented Jacques Brault.

Thanks to the following: Ben Supnik (super genius creator of WED), Brian Godwin (scenery master), Jacques Brault (airplane/object artist), Aerospace (also a scenery master), and Lightman (discerning XPlane user and airplane reviewer). Thanks for the request, Lightman, this was definitely a good one!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments